Getting NTSC AVI's to play on my DVD player

Hi,

I have a series of NTSC AVI’s given to me by my brother from America and I would like to watch them, (in the UK), on my DVD player attached to my TV.

My DVD plays the following: DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-DA, Mixed CD-DA, MP3, WMA Audio and JPEG.

I have never burned a DVD before.

I have a DELL PC that came with MyDVD, PowerDVD (that just plays from the ROM drive), and I downloaded WinAVI to see if I could work out how to do the authoring and burning… then I stopped as it was not straight forward.

I have read step by step guides etc but like all things new some of it went over my head, and I was hoping that software would WIZARD walk me through the process, which it does to an extent, but not completely ?

Some pointers would be appreciated, S.

Your options are to create an SVCD or DVD. There are step by step guides, and free software tools available at www.videohelp.com. I would suggest going the dvd route (more data on one disc). There are lots of programs available that will do the trick.

Been to videohelp.com, pretty thorough but most of it is about software I don’t have and is over my head as a newbie. But perhaps you can help with the following things I picked up but maybe don’t fully understand.

Can you clarify:
#1 DVD Source files are actually folders and not files like MP3’s or WAV’s. When I convert an AVI, i get a folder called ‘dvd_0’, which contains an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS. All of these are folders. But which one is the source folder I use when the burning software asks for “Source DVD file” ?

#2 I tried to author a DVD using MyDVD, as soon as I entered the avi, it came up with the error, it recognised that it was NTSC and would not create a PAL DVD, obvious really but how do I get around this ?

#3 I batch converted 9 AVI’s and they all ended up in the dvd_0 folder, but total size = 9GB, when I went to burn I used this folder, dvd_0, but at no time did I get an error like ‘files too big’, why I asked Q#1 as well?

Maybe you can clarify this before my next set of questions.

Sorry to bore you much appreciated an all that, S.

See if any of these help you out:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

The majority of TVs and DVD players here in the UK are multi format and will play NTSC, PAL and other formats. Both of mine are old by tech standards being 5 and 4 years respectively and both do this.

Perhaps this will help. dvd movies use mpeg video files (same as normal mpeg video files). They can use mpeg 1 files but normally use mpeg 2 files (anything comercially produced is going to be mpeg 2). They are called vob files though. You can take vob files, change the file extention to mpeg or mpg (cannot remember which, maybe both), and you will now have a standard mpeg file (the file extention is the only diffrence). Not all vob files on a dvd will be your content. Some may be menues or buttons that have video, if you want a few second black screen pause inbetween diffrent files (like between ads and the movie), you use an mpeg file of a black screen, etc. Look at the size, the big files will be the content. The other files provide the function for the dvd (instructions for play and menu function etc).
Authoring software generally does not convert avi to mpeg or avi to dvd. Authoring software is designed to take mpeg fiiles and build the dvd structure for them (menues and all support files etc). Some authoring software might be able to do conversion too though (probably in a diffrent step/operation).
The AUDIO_TS folder is generally unused. It is placed on most dvd’s for compatibility reasons with much older standards and equipment. The VIDEO_TS folder contains all your pertainent files.
With programs that deal with dvd copying etc, you do not open/use a particular file in either floder. You point the program to the VIDEO_TS folder. These programs (nero recode, dvd decryptor etc), will expect the whole folder (treat the folder as if it were a single file for your program, just like it were a single dvd).
There are what are commonly refered to as all in one programs/converters (or maybe I just got that from video help), like nero vision express, that are designed to take your avi file, convert it, create simple menus and create the nesasary files for a dvd. they are pretty easy to use (I mostlly use nero but it is pay software). Basically they do everything in one shot, from avi to dvd (and will probably even burn the dvd for you). Here are all in one converters.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=35#35
Read the description as some may not actually do it all from start to finish. do not be suprized if a particular program works with most but not all files (and other programs will work with the video files that did not work on the first).
I recomend you start with these all in one converters (Thats what I use).
the other alternative is to use multiple programs to do it step by step. The results are suposed to be beter, and it suposed to be easier to do, but learning to do it is much harder. Authoring software is one of the programs that you use the hard way. They create the menus/dvd structure (and generally do not convert or burn). In addition, you would use conversion software to convert the avi to mpeg, editing software to chop video, burning software. Honestlly. I do not know the full details of doing it the hard way. I have read about it and tryed a little (actually sucsessfully did it), but it was too hard and I chose to give up and use all in one converters (I think they are beter to start with, and then try the hard way, choose which you like, or like me, give up on the hard way).
here are guides for avi to dvd the hard way
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=AVI+to+DVD&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&listallusers=&search=Search+or+List+Guides
hope that helps.

I used to use all-in-one but had compatability issues on a few DVD players. I then started to use TMPGEnc encoding software and found, as you say ripit it did not work too well with some of the files, and was slow so a friend introduced me to and told me how to use Main Concept MPEG Converter to convert avis to mpeg which is faster, and I muddled through with TMPGEnc DVD Author. They are worth the money I paid after trying them. Never looked back since, no compat issues or anything. I will admit if it hadn’t been from my friend I would not have been able to learn how to use MC so quickly and might have given up.

Now I have 2 converters and one DVD authoring prog.

I almost forgot to mention, nero can convert pal/ntsc (though again it is pay software, I’m not sure about the free all in one converters). You can even used mixed pal/ntsc files in the same project and selectivly convert then to what ever output you like. I really dont kno of one best all in one converter. All of them seem to not work with all files (though some work with most). Its kind of a if one doesn’t work, try another kind of situation. Also, quality seems to vary depending on the file type. A particular program might wrok great with one type of file (great vid quality), ans suck with another. Nero does a prety good job with most things for me, if it fails (which is sometimes does), I just try something else. There are some good frr ones by the way (check the link I posted above).

Just remember when converting from one format or another that you may get some loss of quality PAL is 25fps (frames per second) NTSC can be either 23 or 29 fps. Therefore when converting from NTSC the prog will either have to create frames from nothing or remove frames. I forgot to mention that in the other post.

MC one of the progs I use allows for changing out put format. It does a try before you buy, the only limitation on this is that it watermarks the output file which was fine by me while I was learning how to use it. TMPGEnc gives a 30 day trial on its’ converter and DVD authoring packages. I thought Nero did a free trial period, though I can’t say as I have never paid for it, I got my copy off the cover disc of a PC mag.

Nero is one of those progs I just can’t get my head round so I just use it for data back up.

Nero does have a free trial. I don’t think I would buy it from them if you like it though. they run the retail package on sale cheap sometimes or you can get oem disks really cheap at some places. You have to be a litle carfull with the oem versions though as some are crippled versions that may not have all software enabled. If you don’t want to pay, try some of the free ones (or play with nero, it’s not like you are forced to buy it after the free trial).

OK, thats a lot to take in, but this is what I’m going to do based on the above, but jump in if I got it wrong… please !

#1 I will assume my DVD player will play NTSC format, therefore I am going to use WinAVI, free trial version to convert the AVI to a VOB file.

#2 I will then point WinAVI to the folder it created VIDEO_TS, the file size was approx 1.1 GB, and do a Test Burn.

#3 The I’m going to go for it ?

However,

Q1. Should I rip say 3 AVI’s separately and get 3 off 1.1GB VOB files in different VIDEO_TS folders and try to burn them all, as my DVD’s are 4.7GB, (actually that makes 4 VOB’s) ?

Over and out, S.

I’d try 1 vob 1st…then try joining and menu settings later if the software is worth a shit 1st 1 vob try…:slight_smile:

Tried to burn a DVD using Win AVI, it will not play on my PC or my DVD player.

When I put the DVD into my PC, PowerDVD opens, it initialises the disc, the screen goes black as if it is about to play, but after 2 seconds it returns to the PLAY options screen in PowerDVD as if the DVD had finished.

See the attachment, mydvd1.jpg, which details the file structure on the DVD, (label “LOST2”), i tried to create, (1 movie).

See the attachment, SG1.jpg, which details the file structure on a manufacturers original dvd, (label “SG1_VOL33_D1”), (4 movies).

There are a few differences, they are;

#1 I did not get a VIDEO_TS.VOB file on my DVD. Is this important ?
#2 Obviously I get 4 off groups of BUP, IFO anf VOB file per movie per disc, however i noticed that there are lots of VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, etc . What are these, why is ths ?

Also where am I going wrong ?

I have NTSC AVI files and just want to watch them on my DVD player ?

Someone Help … S.

Try this program here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm vsodivxtodvd . I’ve used winavi before and found it did not always do the job. Divxtodvd is just two clicks and it will create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and all of the necessary files for you. Once you get the folders you can test the movie with Powerdvd. If you want you can put more than one avi on a disc but if the movie is over 2 hours long you may have to compress it to get it down to size. If your dvd player plays burned dvds you should be fine. The only time this program has failed me it was because the avi was corrupted.

Edit your pics to remove the folders column, the moment you mention certain names we can no longer help and there is the risk that your thread will be closed. Also remove the name from the text of the post.

Try using nero to burn the video and audio ts folders. Even though the audio folder is emty it is still needed by some players and software. I have found incompatability with some burning software and some players, though it should not cause a problem on the pc.

Yes the VOB is important as it is the film part, without it you have nothing to watch.

OK, points taken!

Also, I tried the tutorial on using DIKO at videohelp.com. All went well and i ended up with my first DVD that played on my player.

However, even though I selected three films to modify and burn, only the first one did, well not true they all created VOB files, etc but when I play the CD ROM in my player it stops at the end of track 1, indicating that the drive is full.