Getting my WinXP private documents

Hi,

My PC went wrong recently and I now cant get hold of my documents I just get access denied. I am plugging the HDD into my other PC to try and get them but i cant get into them.

Thanks.:slight_smile:

if your other pc is running xp or win2k you should have no problem accessing the drive as a slave and browse the folders. if nothing helps boot your pc with a boot cd that you can browse the net for, and there is the good old DOS too.

If the drive is formatted NTFS, you cannot access it in win9x architectures.

Unless you were fooling around with the permissions just jump in as the administrator account and you should have access to it.

It’s possible you may have to regain file ownership on the drive in question if it is formatted with NTFS.

First you need to disable Simple File Sharing if it is not already:

My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Scroll to the bottom of the list of advanced settings and un-check Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) -> Click OK.

Next go to the drive and right click on it and select Properties -> Security tab -> Advanced button -> Owner tab -> Select a new owner from the list and put a check in Replace owner on sub containers and objects -> Ok -> Ok

The thing is, I made the area ‘My Documents’ private.

When I go to ‘Documents and Settings’ then ‘Merther’, it wont let me in.

As long as the files were not encrypted you should be able to “take ownership” using the described method above and regain access.

How bout having a look round for prog that shows like ALL files and praps forces its way in? M$ encrytion cant be that tricky!:stuck_out_tongue:

VH
:wink:

[QUOTE=Nemesys;760617]It’s possible you may have to regain file ownership on the drive in question if it is formatted with NTFS.

My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Scroll to the bottom of the list of advanced settings and un-check Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) -> Click OK.

Next go to the drive and right click on it and select Properties -> Security tab -> Advanced button -> Owner tab -> Select a new owner from the list and put a check in Replace owner on sub containers and objects -> Ok -> Ok[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this. Your tip has saved me a lot of time.

I only wonder if I will ever be able to properly log in to my old OS installation now that I’ve taken this step. The user account which originally owned this ‘Documents and Settings’ folder was the only accessible, established user account on that system. I wonder what would happen if I rehooked this drive up to the old hardware and tried to log in as that user (something tells me that ownership of one’s own ‘Documents and Settings’ subfolder is a requirement for the Windows XP login process to work without error)?

:iagree:

:bow:

Thanks for your Tips. It really help me out to recovery my files from a X Toshiba Laptop. Somehow, Toshiba enable windows security feture on the first user’s account. I have spent days to recovery the files. but no luck with it.

This tip really helps.

Thank you. and excuse for my pool English.

Airpass From China PRC

[QUOTE=Nemesys;760617]It’s possible you may have to regain file ownership on the drive in question if it is formatted with NTFS.

Next go to the drive and right click on it and select Properties -> Security tab -> Advanced button -> Owner tab -> Select a new owner from the list and put a check in Replace owner on sub containers and objects -> Ok -> Ok[/QUOTE]

:sad:

after I’ve taken the step above to recovery my files. I rehook my harddrive back and using windowsXP installation CD to repair my system then, everything comes back now. Becareful with the installation CD, most of repair CD come with laptop or pre-install system are “Recovery CD” they will black-out all your C drive. Only windows installation CD has the feture to repair that. If you don’t have one. Check out Torrent Site, they may have WindowsXP installtion CD for download. Use it only for repair. Otherwise, system may unstable. BTW, it’s under the case of WindowsXP. Havn’t try Vista.

Airpass

[QUOTE=kaoruAngel;2172159]Thank you for this. Your tip has saved me a lot of time.

I only wonder if I will ever be able to properly log in to my old OS installation now that I’ve taken this step. The user account which originally owned this ‘Documents and Settings’ folder was the only accessible, established user account on that system. I wonder what would happen if I rehooked this drive up to the old hardware and tried to log in as that user (something tells me that ownership of one’s own ‘Documents and Settings’ subfolder is a requirement for the Windows XP login process to work without error)?[/QUOTE]