Getting mp3s smaller

vbimport

I'm having a space problem with my hdd so i thought of "tightening up" a bit my mp3 backups .

After searching the forums, I noticed some talk about mp3pro format, it's said to make mp3 files smaller with no quality loss.

The thing is i can only find encoders that will encode wav to mp3pro and not plain old mp3s to pro format. Any suggestions? (preferably something cheaper than a brand new 40gb hdd :wink: )

I tried Google, but could not find a converter…

Other formats which are smaller than mp3:

wma
ogg-vorbis

Disadvantage of mp3pro, wma, ogg-vorbis:

not a standard format… (mp3pro, wma are proprietary formats)

Of course you can always burn your mp3 collection on a cd to save some harddisk space.

:smiley:

Even if there is a tool for converting mp3s into the mp3pro format or anything else, this action is not very recommendable, because mp3 files are “containing” already some loss, so if you compress it again, you’ll get even more loss, the result can’t be better than the source material …

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]Disadvantage of mp3pro, wma, ogg-vorbis:

not a standard format… (mp3pro, wma are proprietary formats)[/b]
Not quite getting this… what do you mean by proprietary format. If you mean that it is owned by someone, well i guess mp3 format was “invented” by someone too, so it is also proprietary.

Of course you can always burn your mp3 collection on a cd to save some harddisk space :smiley:
Did that already, but i have like 450 original cds and vynil discs (yeah i like music :bigsmile: ) which i have all backed up, and i would like having at least half of them in my hdd (too lazy to get the cd into the drive i guess :wink: ).

Well i’ll probably have to go for a 2nd hdd … thought there could be a way around this

Originally posted by little-endian
Even if there is a tool for converting mp3s into the mp3pro format or anything else, this action is not very recommendable, because mp3 files are “containing” already some loss, so if you compress it again, you’ll get even more loss, the result can’t be better than the source material …
Well i was told by a friend (sound engineer) that there’s no actual loss while converting wav to mp3pro (actually he said that I would not hear the difference). Converting mp3 to pro is another thing though and you’re probably right.

I could settle for a little loss in quality anyways (if i ever want to listen to crystal clear music i can always play the original :wink: ), just avoiding bying a 2nd hdd is the goal here !

If you absolutely want to convert your files, then you always have the opportunity to decode the mp3s to waves first, and then compressing the waves back to mp3pro. Ok, this is a little bit laborious, but is works, as long as you have still enough space left on your hdd to store the waves temporarily.

If you absolutely want to convert your files, then you always have the opportunity to decode the mp3s to waves first, and then compressing the waves back to mp3pro. Ok, this is a little bit laborious, but is works, as long as you have still enough space left on your hdd to store the waves temporarily.
Not enough disc space i’m afraid … well i guess i can always do 10mp3s at a time (will take me about 10days non-stop :wink: ).

Anyway, thanx for the help. Just thought this would be a common problem for most people here and getting a solution would help not only me but a lot of cdfreak mates!

of course, converting to mp3pro, it depends on the bitrate you choose, although it should be roughly half the size of a similar sounding mp3.

propietary in the sense that the encoder / decoders arent open source, etc etc :frowning:

write yourself a batch file and set the computer to work on converting them. it could do it in your sleep. maybe try searching on tucows.com ?

Originally posted by ckin2001
write yourself a batch file and set the computer to work on converting them. it could do it in your sleep. maybe try searching on tucows.com ?
The problem is not cpu ability to convert the files. It is that i can not find an encoder that will do the job of converting mp3s to mp3pro. So all i can do is decode the mp3s into wav (which really needs space since its about 5000mp3s!! :wink: ) and then get them into mp3pro format. Any ideas?

and after a couple of times your hd is full of mp3pro files and you want to find another way to get more music on your hd.
This will go on and go on. I think the best solution is to have a look on wich music you most listen to and keep them on the hd and burn the rest to another cd.

You could lower the bitrate of the files, but you will lose quality with this process. :Z

He will always loose quality if he converts to another format (unless it is lossless).

He will always loose quality if he converts to another format (unless it is lossless).
Yes i know, but in this case quality is not the issue.

There are 2 reasons mainly for encoding my original cds to mp3 format.

1. Backing them up (it’s been more than one occasion when a friend of mine or family loses/destroys one or more of my originals). There are some pieces that can not be found easily (bootlegs etc). This requires good quality so backing them up with 320kbit seemed like the best idea. These i have already burned on cds, so they are not in my hdd

2. Finding easily the song combination i want to listen to without having to go through 550 cds and 200discs to get them. The quality here is not the issue, i can put up with 128kbit as long as there is no jitter. These files, which take up around 10gb of hd space i need to re-encode somehow (and these are the music i listen to most frequently-it’s not all there :wink: )

Anyway, thanx for the help … if i figure something out i will let everybody know :slight_smile:

use the batch to tell it to decode to wav and re-encode to mp3pro so that you dont have to do it by hand…that could save you time and trouble. there probably isnt a really good quality mp3-mp3pro converter, as mp3pro hasnt caught on AT ALL. i’m willing to wager that the converter would still have to decode to wav, as mp3 and mp3pro are pretty different, if i remember correctly.

use the batch to tell it to decode to wav and re-encode to mp3pro so that you dont have to do it by hand…that could save you time and trouble. …
Can you suggest a convertor proggie that wil do the job for me ckin2001? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
Can you suggest a convertor proggie that wil do the job for me ckin2001? :slight_smile:

Why not give Nero MP3Pro a try? it´s working good for me
and it´s allready built into nero in the extras menu
( you only have to license it first )
but you can try it up to max 30 mp3´s without license
to see if it does the job.

there are no free converters, most likely, because the encoder must be licensed. nero’s 30 free times is the only encoder i’ve even heard of. sadly, i suggest you try wma if size is all that matters. i hate recommending microsoft :frowning:

… i hate recommending microsoft :frowning:

Hehe i can understand that :bigsmile:

Well anyways thanx for the help. I will try the nero encoder to see if it’s what i need and will act accordingly. If i find any other way of getting around this i’ll let you know :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B]I’m having a space problem with my hdd so i thought of “tightening up” a bit my mp3 backups .

After searching the forums, I noticed some talk about mp3pro format, it’s said to make mp3 files smaller with no quality loss.

The thing is i can only find encoders that will encode wav to mp3pro and not plain old mp3s to pro format. Any suggestions? (preferably something cheaper than a brand new 40gb hdd :wink: ) [/B]

Use Musicmatch Jukebox, it can convert your mp3 to mp3pro :slight_smile: download it from www.musicmatch.com

Originally posted by humblehyper
[B]

Use Musicmatch Jukebox, it can convert your mp3 to mp3pro :slight_smile: download it from www.musicmatch.com [/B]
I have used musicmatch Jukebox in the past i think and never saw this feature … thanx a lot mate, will try it out :slight_smile: