Getting I/O Device Error Everytime I Burn

Hello,

I just purchased the Benq Dw-1655 in the Plumax external enclosure with the Prolific chipsets…

For some reason, everytime i got to copy a dvd to my hd from dvd decrypter or dvdshrink I get an: I/O device error…

Also, the read rate on cd/dvd write speed is only at: 8x and i heard with this drive u can get up to 12x… and for reading on dvddycrypter it say’s it’s only at 0.4x…

So i don’t get it…

Do I need to install new firmware for my drive?

Do I need to set the drive to master? I thought i already did this step, but i dunno maybe i put it in the wrong hole…

Or is there something else? I don’t understand, cuz, the dvds used to work fine on my old drive 2x drive and now they are burning slower, and won’t even copy to my HD…

Hi,

Did you get that as one unit or did you put the components together?

For some reason, everytime i got to copy a dvd to my hd from dvd decrypter or dvdshrink I get an: I/O device error…
(…)
Do I need to install new firmware for my drive?
If there is such an issue, then never install newer firmware!

Do I need to set the drive to master? I thought i already did this step, but i dunno maybe i put it in the wrong hole…
This is an excellent idea! Verify if the jumper is set so master and double check the cable connections. If the drive still fails, then install it internally in order to sort out issues with the drive or enclosure.

Michael

yes, i did put the components together…

i haven’t installed new firmware yet…

And also,how doyou check the cables?? I dunno, cuz it doesnt say which hole it goes in?? I’m assuming it should say master and slave… but, it doesnt… hmmm wierd…

-David Skyler

Hi,

OK.

i haven’t installed new firmware yet…
Good.

And also,how doyou check the cables?? I dunno, cuz it doesnt say which hole it goes in?? I’m assuming it should say master and slave… but, it doesnt… hmmm wierd…
I mean the IDE cable. Maybe it is not connected properly. Concerning jumpers, there is a manual at http://support.benq.com/files/storage/QSG/Hardware/Hardware%20QSG.pdf that should show you all information that is needed. Many Benq drives come with jumper set to slave position, so make sure to change that to master or try Cable Select.

Michael

ummm,okay now there are 2 things involved in this enclosure and dvd drive… There is a little plastic thingy on the dvd drive? is that it? or is it the thing inside the external box that you connect to that part?

basically what is a jumper?

Hi,

:iagree:

There is a little plastic thingy on the dvd drive? is that it?
This might be the jumper. Have you had a look into the manual of the drive?

or is it the thing inside the external box that you connect to that part?
This is the IDE cable.

basically what is a jumper?
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(computing)

Michael

okay, i have jumper on the master… basically if your looking at the back side of the dvd burner, the 2 pins on the right on are both covered with the small plastic thingy… still burning slow and getting i/o device errors tho…

Here is a copy of cd dvd speed test I did:

Here is the copy of the burst rate:

okay, so the burning works fine except for the reading… i get disc errors and all kinds of crap i don’t understand why its ripping to my hd so slow but can burn so fast???

any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!