Getting free backup copies?

vbimport

I live in the UK, and it seems the new games are getting harder and harder to make copies of or to make a backup to use in programs like FantomCD/Alcohol. I do this to save wear and tear on the original CDs, but it’s getting hard to do. I purchased UT2003 and never managed to make any backups. In the end it didn’t really matter since I stopped playing that game but I’ld like to know from someone what the legal situation is, since I know I am allowed to make a copy for backup purposes of my games but what happens when you can’t because of copy protection??

In this case is the company involved likely to send me a backup copy? If I send them my receipts and stuff?

The answer is no. If you break it, you’ll just have to buy another copy. And why would the company send you a backup copy? Most, if not all of my game, program, audio CDs are still in mint condition, whether they were purchased 10 years ago, or 10 days ago.

Read this older topic on legality issues, also includes links to even older topics…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72265&highlight=legal+AND+backup

Originally posted by Stoner
The answer is no. If you break it, you’ll just have to buy another copy. And why would the company send you a backup copy?

Most of the time if you break it just contact the distributor and they will more than likely replace it at just the cost of the cd and postage if you can prove you own it first.

Most, if not all of my game, program, audio CDs are still in mint condition, whether they were purchased 10 years ago, or 10 days ago.

Same here. I keep them spotless at all times. There is nothing that pisses me off more than watching some goose just throw their cd’s around (espescially mine when i lend them out)and then complain that they dont work anymore.

If only more companies would implement a blizzrd like tactic with serials and a dedicated server, there would not even be a need to have a protection scheme.

Of course this would be useless on non-multiplayer games.

then why does blizzard use a protection scheme?

Because a lot of people make copies of the games they buy and pass them out to their friends like it’s christmas. Remember, playing LAN games doesn’t require serial number check. It’s only for bnet.

isn’t there a 3 year warrenty on all products in Europe? I thought it was introduced this year.
If that is the case, then you might be able to use this 3 years to get a new copy.

But it wil be hard to prove you didn’t cause the “damage” yourself

Most of my original CDs are still in fairly good condition, but that’s because I took to playing from backups. I learned my lesson from Freespace 2 which I had to purchase no less than 3 times, paying full price each time (though I did lose the CDs one time). It’s not so much throwing CDs around/breaking them etc. but CDs do get scratched, especially if you need to keep putting them in the drive for the security check. Thanks for the info, I will try and find out about the warranty situation.

here, in austria you’re not even allowed to make your own backup-copies…
but who cares.:bigsmile:

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]isn’t there a 3 year warrenty on all products in Europe? I thought it was introduced this year.
If that is the case, then you might be able to use this 3 years to get a new copy.

But it wil be hard to prove you didn’t cause the “damage” yourself [/B]

I believe this only applies to electrical appliances and the term is restricted to 2 years instead of 3…but I could be wrong. (In the Netherlands there is a new consumer’s law that gives you more rights/guarantees as a consumer, check on of the latest issues of ‘De Consumentengids’ for more information on this subject)

i will read the "consumentengids"at my work

ty for the info

The best way of protecting your cd’s from scratches IMO is to make an image file of the cd and mount it in alchol or deamon tools

the problem is that you áre not allowed to make an imgae and mount it
(aslong the cd has a protection)

Originally posted by slayerking

Most of the time if you break it just contact the distributor and they will more than likely replace it at just the cost of the cd and postage if you can prove you own it first.

Thought Electronic Arts had a very very strange “backup” policy. As i can remember in one of my manuals you had to pay around €7 for the replacement cd and €5 in postage costs. Copying at home is at these rates (and its faster ofcourse) a wiser choice than asking for an “original” backup.

Originally posted by theunbeatable
Copying at home is at these rates (and its faster ofcourse) a wiser choice than asking for an “original” backup.

Not paying taxes is also cheaper…but that doesn’t make it a good thing to do :wink:

Originally posted by theunbeatable
[B]

Thought Electronic Arts had a very very strange “backup” policy. As i can remember in one of my manuals you had to pay around €7 for the replacement cd and €5 in postage costs. Copying at home is at these rates (and its faster ofcourse) a wiser choice than asking for an “original” backup. [/B]

i’d rather have an original back up before any other sort of back up at leats you would more than likely get a new cd cover as well. Here in Australia a game costs $99.95, to get a replacement is about $10 from memory

Originally posted by ckin2001
then why does blizzard use a protection scheme?

Like on what game? Maybe very recent games but it only prevents LAN play.
Speaking of LAn play…

Because a lot of people make copies of the games they buy and pass them out to their friends like it’s christmas. Remember, playing LAN games doesn’t require serial number check. It’s only for bnet.

Bnet is where all the excitemnt is. Its not a typical home with 8 PC’s or even up to 6 PC’s and a nice setup in everyone’s avg apartment or house that can accomodate LAN all the time. Also, LAN play is possible via loaders, cracks, patches, etc… basically very other illegal means. Bnet however, is NOT.

Overall, it will take the excitement out of the game and organizing parties to play all at the same time. Bnet is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. My gf and 3 of my best friends each bought Age of Mythology. We play via LAN. Ask me how many time swe have played this year due to schedule conflicts aside various other reasons.

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]

Like on what game? Maybe very recent games but it only prevents LAN play.
[/B]

they have used protections forever…im not sure exactly what you are driving at. diablo isnt exactly recent.

Originally posted by Da_Taxman

Not paying taxes is also cheaper…but that doesn’t make it a good thing to do :wink:

who says I do pay’em ? :stuck_out_tongue: