Getting "Error while reading" with DVDFab Platinum

Hi all:

I’m a real newbie, my first post.

I’ve run into a problem while using DVDFab Platinum to make a backup copy of a DVD boxset of “The Life of Birds”, produced by the BBC.

As soon as the app starts the analyzing section of the copy, I get a popup box titled “Reading/Writing Error Control”. The text of the box reads “Error while Reading! Please choose what to do?”

The box presents four buttons:
“Retry”, “Abort”, “Ignore”, “Ignore All”

If I select retry, ignore or ignore all, it will fail again. Selecting ‘abort’ just kills the app.

Can anyone provide any help with this? The boxset is a few years old but in excellent condition, no apparent scratches, etc. No problems watching the program.

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to to CDFreaks forum, this is indication look like that the video you are trying to copy is protested disc. Since you have the DVDFAB Platinum, you should be OK. Make sure:

1. You have enough free space in your hard drive (at least 1.5X size of the DVD you are trying to copy).
  2. Defrag you hard drive.
  3. Empty you temp files from temp folder.
  4. Empty you recycle bin.
  5. Ensure that you DVD burner are in DMA position.

You sure disk is not scratched/smudge/ fingerprints? be surprised how it’ll effect reader…Is it Pal, or NTC? what burner??

:iagree:

As my friend t0nee1 as pointed out on making sure the disc’s are clean, also you can open …Common Setting and click on Read on the left side and then put a tick in circle next to “Ignore all read errors automatically” and see how that works or not and post back with the results

Sorry almost forgot welcome to CDFreaks :bigsmile:

Hi I-Grok and I second your welcome to cdfreaks… :iagree:
In addition to the all ready good advice…

also unclick (disable)
“Enable read-ahead cache”

In the event the rip still fails, which I think is likely, I’d send the .IFO files directly to Fengtao. If you have a crash dump log, send that as well.

Here’s how:

1. Open an Explorer window, and navigate to VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD.
  2. Copy all files ending with .IFO to hard disk.
  3. ZIP the IFO files on hard disk to one file. Name it with a readable filename, like To Have and Have Not_R1.zip.
  4. Send the zip file to fengtao(at)dvdidle.com, you need replace (at) with @.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. I think I’ve identified the problem(s).

I’m 63 and my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, so after trying all the suggestions you sent me, I asked my son to inspect the DVD’s closely. He found several light scratches on all the disks. Also, he said that as he watched the disks, he could see very minor jumps in the video.

Since I have never had any other problems with DVDFab Platinum, we decided that the problem with “The life of Birds” is the poor quality of the DVDs.

Again, thanks for the helpo. I learned a lot and that is never a bad thing. :slight_smile:

I-Grok

We hope to have here as member and contributer always.