Getting better quality burns on 411, burn SLOWER?

When burning my primary desire is quality of burn. I’d put that as my #1, #2, and #3 priorities. So, an old “trick” with burning CD’s was to use good higher speed media, but burn it slower than the rated speed.

What are peoples opinions on this for DVD media? I know my 411 doesn’t seem to want to burn at 1x even if I set it there (testing done with Ritek G03 media gives a 2x burn if 1x is selected, latest firmware). I haven’t been too happy with 4x burns (on 4x media) especially on the outer 20% of the disk based upon KProbe scans. So, I’m looking for ways to improve the quality of burn as much as possible. I know the standard stuff, make sure nothing else is running, keep defraged, yada, yada, yada.

Thanks in advance!

this will be completely media dependant. You’ll have to run Kprobe scans to see the best burn speed on a given media. Some media will be worse at lower burn speed.

Gof,

I am not certain the CD analogy holds here. I take 4x rated RICOHJPN media and burn it at 8x and the outer area has no more pi/po errors than the inner area.

I agree with rdgrimes, it is completely media dependant. I know that if you burn Ritek G04-R media at less then 4x, the PI/PO errors increase dramatically.

If the DVDs are not burning well at the speed it’s meant to, then trying a burn at a lower speed may help. I personally can say that when backing up a few dvd movies I own I was forced to burn at a lower speed to ge good results. I had a set of ricoh DVD+R discs that would be fine at 4x for data backup and produce less errors at 4x than 2.4x. Yet when I burned my movies, my DVD Player would not play the 4x burned discs properly (towards the end of the disc) and only accept 2.4x ones.

It’s probably completely media dependant. But the point is that if you are having problems burnng, a slower burn speed may help.

Weshy.

Originally posted by Weshy
[B]If the DVDs are not burning well at the speed it’s meant to, then trying a burn at a lower speed may help. I personally can say that when backing up a few dvd movies I own I was forced to burn at a lower speed to ge good results. I had a set of ricoh DVD+R discs that would be fine at 4x for data backup and produce less errors at 4x than 2.4x. Yet when I burned my movies, my DVD Player would not play the 4x burned discs properly (towards the end of the disc) and only accept 2.4x ones.

It’s probably completely media dependant. But the point is that if you are having problems burnng, a slower burn speed may help.

Weshy. [/B]

What media do you use?