Getting back to the date a disk was burnt by analyzing its data

Hi,

is it possible to know the date when a disk was burnt by analyzing it with some kinda program?

I think it is, but I don’t know what program to use.

Also, if I made a perfect copy of the disk, i.e. w/ CloneCD, would the burning date be altered or would the perfect copy preserve it, supposing it’s 100% perfect? (No copy protection)

Nero CD-DVD Speed should show this in the Disc Quality tab. Nero InfoTool will also show the date.

Don’t know the answer to the second question for sure, but I would think the date would change when reburned.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2715155]
Don’t know the answer to the second question for sure, but I would think the date would change when reburned.[/QUOTE]

The date can be copied over, I believe. I want to say I’ve seen people re-burn discs (from an image or direct copy, usually when trying to recover bad discs), and the date was copied over, as displayed in DiscSpeed/CD-DVD Speed/Opti Drive Control. Maybe it’s considered part of the data and is treated as such by burning software: date of original master, not date of burn.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2715155]Nero CD-DVD Speed should show this in the Disc Quality tab. Nero InfoTool will also show the date.
[/QUOTE]

It does show it, but since it’s a multisession disk with 3 sessions, and [B]it’s [U]NOT[/U] finalized[/B], the actual shown date is 10/13/2005 which is the [I]pressing date[/I] of the disk, the date the disk was [B][I]created[/I][/B] in the sense of “factory made”.

I’m sure the disk was made after that date, at least in early 2013.

BTW: Do you mean the [I]ScanDisc[/I] tab of Nero CDSpeed? In the Italian version there’s no such [I]disk quality tab[/I]. (Nero CDSpeed 11, latest version)

Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16

Notice the date on the right side. This was burned in 2013. The disc was made sometime back in 2007-2008 or so. Some of my old stock TY.

There’s no such disk quality tab for my optical drive, maybe it doesn’t support it?

I’ve read somewhere the [I]Disk Quality[/I] tab is hidden for drives which do not support it; however, it’s not present even with my [B][U]Plextor PX-800A[/U][/B] !!

I’m using Nero [I]DiscSpeed[/I] and not [I]CD-DVDSpeed[/I], what are the differences between them?

Nero CD-DVD Speed is the older version, but still free to download and use. It runs from the folder you install it in, it doesn’t have to be installed into the Programs list.

The disc quality tab shows up for my LG Blu-ray drive, even though it cannot run a quality scan.

Nero InfoTool should work for you.

Is Nero InfoTool included in Nero 2014? I think so.

[B][U]UPDATE[/U][/B]: I’ve noticed the CD label is “[I]051013_1832[/I]”.

This is a standard Italian date (05/10/2013 18:32; October 5, 2013 6:32 PM).

I believe whoever has written that disk has forgotten to set a label, so the burning program has used 051013_1832 as default. This makes sense.

Nero InfoTool [U]is no help[/U]. Under “Disk” tab, it shows “[B]Date: [U]n/a[/U][/B]”.

This makes sense too, because the disk is [I]not[/I] finalized. I think such a date would be set by finalizing the disk.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2715203]Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16

Notice the date on the right side. This was burned in 2013. The disc was made sometime back in 2007-2008 or so. Some of my old stock TY.[/QUOTE]
I see. Hmm… I’ll have to pay more attention to see if my thinking all this time has been wrong.

Thanks for the testing, folks. :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry for the confusion Albert. I was replying to Tyreksionibus’s post #4, where he mentioned the manufacturing date of his media.

My TY disc was manufactured in the 2007-08 era, but I didn’t copy another disc when I burned it early last year. That was when Adobe was letting everyone get a free copy of CS2, and I downloaded a copy and burned it to a disc.