Getting an image into Canon CDLabelPrint - effectively!

Hiya

Just joined this forum, with loads of useful information!

I’m trying to print a CD (direct to CD) for the first time using my Canon Pixma ip4500. I haven’t got the point of test-printing, adjusting fine settings in the Print dialog as advised elsewhere yet.

I’m still trying to get the CDLabelPrint software to pull in my CD image without mucking about with it.

I do all my image designing in GIMP (a freeware Photoshop-like tool). Flatten out all the layers, and then either select All, copy, or save as JPG so I can pick it up in CDLabelPrint.

So, to be clear, what I’ve tried is these three things:

• Select All, Copy in GIMP, then Paste in CDLabelPrint
  • Save in GIMP (as JPG), then in CDLabelPrint:
    a) Get the jpg through Image menu/Image File
    b) Get the jpg through Image menu/Background

the PROBLEM:
I created this image to be exactly the right dimensions, with 3mm bleed on the edges. But it doesn’t matter if the image is 116mmx116mm, or if I scale it much larger and try again- the "£$(*&£! CDLabelprint always scales it down so that it’s just slightly smaller than the CD space!!!

I think the problem is this retarded “size” setting in the Image dialog, which only allows 100x100, 150x150 etc (screenshot attached). And there’s no Scale Selection of course - I wouldn’t expect that in what isn’t a full-scale image-editing program. But why can’t I just import an image, as it is, without CDLabelprint messing with it - just discarding what’s outside the 116x116 mm, if necessary?

thanks for any help!

seb

Doh. My bad. It was the bleed edges that were causing the problem. Once I cropped off the bleed area, it seems to work fine!

As long as the image is square, and cropped correctly, you simply use it as a “background” in LablePrint and it will be perfect regardless of it’s size. 4-1/2" or larger will eliminate any stretching.

Thanks for that CDan - and for ignoring my previous stupidity!

Prints beautifully, but there’s a small white unprinted border left around the edge. I see I can adjust the “circle size” in LabelPrint (it says from the current 116mm up to max 118mm). Is this a good idea? I’m just worried about adjusting outside the actual printable area of these particular CDs, with the result that the ink doesn’t “take”, and makes a mess inside the printer, hard to clean up.

I’m sure there’s knowledge about this somewhere on the forums - I’d consult the FAQ if I saw one on this particular subforum.

a) Is it safe to adjust the outer circle size up to the max?
b) How do I tell how far the printable area goes in the inner circle? (it’s not very clear on these discs - all white, with a Verbatim logo etc right next to the clear area surrounding the hub).

Just being extra-careful, as this is proving to be an excellent printer and I don’t want to make a mess of it!

cheers

Seb

[QUOTE=undertoad;2427803]Thanks for that CDan - and for ignoring my previous stupidity!

Prints beautifully, but there’s a small white unprinted border left around the edge. I see I can adjust the “circle size” in LabelPrint (it says from the current 116mm up to max 118mm). Is this a good idea? I’m just worried about adjusting outside the actual printable area of these particular CDs, with the result that the ink doesn’t “take”, and makes a mess inside the printer, hard to clean up.

I’m sure there’s knowledge about this somewhere on the forums - I’d consult the FAQ if I saw one on this particular subforum.

a) Is it safe to adjust the outer circle size up to the max?
b) How do I tell how far the printable area goes in the inner circle? (it’s not very clear on these discs - all white, with a Verbatim logo etc right next to the clear area surrounding the hub).

Just being extra-careful, as this is proving to be an excellent printer and I don’t want to make a mess of it!

cheers

Seb[/QUOTE]
Click the “paper select” button and set up a template for each media type you use. Once done, that template will remain in place automatically. Inner and outer dimensions vary with each type. Your Verbatims will be 119 on the outside, but you are limited to 118 in the Canon software. Inner diameter depends on the specific type. Hub-printable will be 20-23 depending.

[QUOTE=undertoad;2427774]Doh. My bad. It was the bleed edges that were causing the problem. Once I cropped off the bleed area, it seems to work fine![/QUOTE]

So I have a IP4500 too and never been 100% satisfied with the results. Always never quite aligns spot on regardless of what software I have been using. Never tried the CDLabel Print application until today.

I would choose to do the actual design in Illustrator or Photoshop then import it to CDLabel Print to physically print the disc. However, having the same trouble as you did with importing a design into CDLabel Print. It either brings it in scaled up and looking awful or looking sharper but much smaller. Despite the dimensions being the same as the paper size etc.

Should I expect a crystal clear looking image in the softwares main interface? Does it look better once printed? When you say you cropped off the bleed area, how did you do this exactly? Did you simply not create the document with a bleed in the first place? Or was it something within CDLabel Print?

Any help you can give based on your experience would be awesome as I am pulling my hair out here!

Cheers,

Alex