Getting an error cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot initialize Microsoft Office shared utilities. Restart your computer or reinstall Microsoft Office Outlook

vbimport

Hi, everyone. I am getting the following error when I start Microsoft Outlook:

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook.
Cannot initialize Microsoft Office shared utilities.
Restart your computer or reinstall Microsoft Office
Outlook.

It appears to have started after I did a disk cleanup.

In addition, when I attempt to start one of the other Office applications like Word I get:

There is not enough memory or disk space to run word.

I know I have enough memory and disk space.

I checked several other boards and couldn’t find any recent resolutions. Several people tried uninstalling and reinstalling office to no avail. Also a few had issues with more that one user on the machine and once they went in as admin they were fine. I am set up as admin so, I don’t think that is the problem.

I have tried rebooting several times.

I hate to uninstall and reinstall if that isn’t going to fix it anyway. Plus, I haven’t had to do that before and am not sure how to save my emails. Not worried about the other info because I recently synched contacts, calendar info, etc. to my Blackberry.

HELP! What a pain. :a

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Vostro 1000 using Office Enterprise 2007.

I am hoping someone here is familiar with this and the easy fix to resolve it! I am going to think positive!

Michele

[QUOTE=prettyasaseashell;2486948]

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Vostro 1000 using Office Enterprise 2007.[/QUOTE]

This part concerns me Enterprise isn’t avaliable to individual users only to company IT and their network. You will have to contact your IT personnel to give you help cause this enterprise edition belongs to them.

I can understand your concern coolcolors and want to confirm to everyone that this is a legally purchased Home Use Program from my husband’s company. I have been using it for almost a year now without any problems. Prior to that, I was using, I believe the 2003 Home Use Program.

I hope that helps.

Office 2007 has its own repair tool which is worth a try. In the start menu, go into “Microsoft Office” -> “Microsoft Office Tools” -> “Microsoft Office Diagnostics” and follow the steps. This generally does not require a CD.

If that does not work, try performing a system restore to the date you last recall it working. This process will not affect documents or your e-mail. However, you will need to re-carry out any updates, software installation, etc. you did since the restore.

If you do have the discs to reinstall, I would recommend completely uninstalling Office and then installing it back on. From my experience, this approach works better than just running a repair or reinstallation process over the existing installation.

Note that uninstalling or repairing office does not affect your e-mail. Once reinstalled, Outlook will open with your existing e-mail and account as if it was never uninstalled.

[QUOTE=prettyasaseashell;2486948]Hi, everyone. I am getting the following error when I start Microsoft Outlook:

[B][I][FONT=arial]Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. [/FONT][/I][/B]
[I][B][FONT=Arial]Cannot initialize Microsoft Office shared utilities. [/B][/I]
[I][B]Restart your computer or reinstall Microsoft Office [/B][/I]
[I][B]Outlook.[/B][/I][/FONT]

It appears to have started after I did a disk cleanup.

In addition, when I attempt to start one of the other Office applications like Word I get:

[I][B]There is not enough memory or disk space to run word.[/B][/I]

I know I have enough memory and disk space.

I checked several other boards and couldn’t find any recent resolutions. Several people tried uninstalling and reinstalling office to no avail. Also a few had issues with more that one user on the machine and once they went in as admin they were fine. I am set up as admin so, I don’t think that is the problem.

I have tried rebooting several times.

I hate to uninstall and reinstall if that isn’t going to fix it anyway. Plus, I haven’t had to do that before and am not sure how to save my emails. Not worried about the other info because I recently synched contacts, calendar info, etc. to my Blackberry.

HELP! What a pain. :a

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Vostro 1000 using Office Enterprise 2007.

I am hoping someone here is familiar with this and the easy fix to resolve it! I am going to think positive!

Michele[/QUOTE]
Look and see if IE is still your default browser. If its not change it back and see if that helps.

You probably did a fully automatic Windows update. This installes a huge bunch of pretty useless plugins called Office Live.

A disk cleanup [B]could[/B] also mean that you have deleted all the office setup files. If you are [B]not[/B] the user who installed office, you cannot open office [B]unless[/B] the installation files are present.

I suggest [B]never[/B] to remove the office installation files, because you never know when office needs them or installs ueless plugins.

Hi, Sean.

I tried a System Restore but, the only date avail was after the problem occurred so, I nixed that.

I also tried completely uninstalling and then doing a new install with the disk and unfortunately, I am still getting the exact same errors.

I will try Alan’s suggestions next.

I appreciate all the ideas I can get that can lead to a resolution!
:wink:

Alan,

IE was not my default browser…now it is…still the same problem.

Mr. Belvedere,

In regards to your input:

If I did an automatic update, I didn’t do it intentionally. I have always allowed updates to take place when I shutdown so, that may have been the culprit. As for disk cleanup, I didn’t know that actually deleted needed files.:doh: I was the user that installed and did uninstall is completely and then did a fresh install so, I am not sure if I would still have impacted setup files.

In the future, I will definitely be more careful regarding what is being removed and for sure won’t remove office installation files. That is frustrating that we have to put up with useless plugins that impact performance.

Well, I was wanting to get a new laptop anyway so, maybe now is a good time to start fresh!!!

If anyone else has any suggestions before I do that, let me know.

After reading tons of other boards, the closest theory I have to my problem is that since I didn’t remove 2003 on my own that some of the files remained when I installed 2007 hence confusion by “the system” regarding what patches and updates it is selecting to install on my computer!

Fun times! :eek: I have enjoyed challenging my brain a bit, but, I hate when I don’t get to a resolution!

[QUOTE=prettyasaseashell;2487355]If I did an automatic update, I didn’t do it intentionally. I have always allowed updates to take place when I shutdown so, that may have been the culprit.[/quote] It could be. You shouldn’t trust each and every update automatically.

As for disk cleanup, I didn’t know that actually deleted needed files.:doh:
Normally it doesn’t… for this user… but if you log in as another user and you try to open Word for the first time, it searched for the install files. A standard disk cleanup removes those install files.

I was the user that installed and did uninstall is completely and then did a fresh install so, I am not sure if I would still have impacted setup files.
Best setup for Office is always advanced mode, select all items to be installed on harddisk. Optional is to remove applications you never want on your system (I.E. Outlook).

In the future, I will definitely be more careful regarding what is being removed and for sure won’t remove office installation files. That is frustrating that we have to put up with useless plugins that impact performance.
Well, it’s just a stupid MS install system that is different from all other installations.

If anyone else has any suggestions before I do that, let me know.
Just remove entire office, reboot, pop back in setup cd, advanced mode, select all items to be installed on harddisk. Optional is to remove applications you never want on your system (I.E. Outlook).

After reading tons of other boards, the closest theory I have to my problem is that since I didn’t remove 2003 on my own that some of the files remained when I installed 2007 hence confusion by “the system” regarding what patches and updates it is selecting to install on my computer!
If you do not uninstall outdated offices correctly (either via a new install of a newer office version or software remove in configuration screen) you will get troubles with office.

In Windows Registry, under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData there are some user specific infos… Find the SID of your account, go in Components and delete it’s contents.

[QUOTE=stephanvs;2576441]In Windows Registry, under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData there are some user specific infos… Find the SID of your account, go in Components and delete it’s contents.[/QUOTE]

Thank You very much stephanvs, that worked for me.

For those who want to know how to get a user’s SID, got to this reg key “HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\profilelist” and for each SID that you see, you can click on it and check the “ProfileImagePath”. This should give you a good idea of the user’s SID.

[QUOTE=zubyo;2587796]Thank You very much stephanvs, that worked for me.

For those who want to know how to get a user’s SID, got to this reg key “HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\profilelist” and for each SID that you see, you can click on it and check the “ProfileImagePath”. This should give you a good idea of the user’s SID.[/QUOTE]

Ran into this today and a profile cleanup fixed my issue. I knew it was a profile, because I opened DOS and used a “runas” command to spawn a DOS window with my credentials(my profile)… the typed in “Start Winword.exe” and it started fine… Because it started fine for me, I knew it would work if I removed the client’s profile and let it rebuild.

I am getting this same ridiculous message. I have uninstalled Outlook/rebooted as directed, tried to repair and nothing works. What’s even more ridiculous is that for another user on this machine, it’s not an issue.

[QUOTE=zubyo;2587796]Thank You very much stephanvs, that worked for me.

For those who want to know how to get a user’s SID, got to this reg key “HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\profilelist” and for each SID that you see, you can click on it and check the “ProfileImagePath”. This should give you a good idea of the user’s SID.[/QUOTE]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thanks alot guys :clap: you guys are just amazing…! you had me fix this issue with out having the trouble of re-installing it…:bow: