Getting a new drive , Will read speed matter?

Hi im building a pc to handle the conversion of standard DVD’s (With DVD descriptor no avi conversion help needed) so they can be watched on a digital media adapter. Im not concerned about write functionality at all .

Id like to know if commercial dvds have a read speed limit ie can they only be read at the speed they were burned at ?

Can anyone recommend a good DVD read only drive and let me know what read speeds i should expect (Im currently maxing out at 6.7x) ?

Cheep if possible i plan on getting 10 of them .

Thanks a lot

You could peruse the reviews right here and find that info. There are also custom firmwares for some drives that remove ‘riplock’.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

Commercial DVDs are not burned, they are pressed. Movies play at 1X speed so having a 16X reader is a little pointless for movies. Games/Software will read at fastest possible between the drive and media quality.

Most drives read and burn these days so you might have a hard time finding a reader only (plus it might end up more expenseive than a reader/burner driver).

RM

[QUOTE=RichMan;2204760]Commercial DVDs are not burned, they are pressed. Movies play at 1X speed so having a 16X reader is a little pointless for movies. Games/Software will read at fastest possible between the drive and media quality[/QUOTE]

Well im not interested in playback im interested in getting them onto a hard disk in iso format as fast as i possibly can . Im getting 7x on my old ide drive if i get a 16X can i expect a decent increse in my rip speeds

Ill check he reviews

Here’s some info on the Pioneer 116D:

[I]Pressed DVD Video:

For our DVD reading performance tests we are going to start with a single and Double Layered DVD video discs. While only 1X speed is required to watch DVD movies, it’s useful to be able to read the discs at higher speeds if you’re going to extract (rip) the content of the disc to your hard drive.[/I]

[I]The Pioneer DVR-116DBK is not riplocked and read our [B]single layer disc at 16x [/B]and our [B]double layer test discs at 12x[/B][/I]

And a chart: