Getting a new camera question

vbimport

Hi guys,

I was thinking of getting a new camera since my old one is not working anymore and it was kinda old anyways.
Now my problem is:what kind of camera should I get and what should I look for in a new one?:confused:

I was sorta thinking of getting a pentax camera, since my old one was this brand and I was pretty satisfied with the pictures I got with it.

What do you say?

First things first: What’s your budget?

And are you looking for a small, convenient point and shoot, or are you considering a DSLR?

My advice is to take an SD memory card to Bestbuy or camera store of your choice. Then use it to take sample photos with whatever cameras peak your interest. Go back home and scrutinize them and pare down your choices to two or three cameras. Then go back and take more photos and do a final analysis. Also, look on the web for user reviews as these can be very informative.

Digital or film???

Budget?

What do you want to take pix of?

:confused:

[QUOTE=UTR;2541434]My advice is to take an SD memory card to Bestbuy or camera store of your choice. Then use it to take sample photos with whatever cameras peak your interest. Go back home and scrutinize them and pare down your choices to two or three cameras. Then go back and take more photos and do a final analysis…[/QUOTE]

That’s a very interesting approach, and really applicable for people without in-depth technical knowledge (e.g. my parents :bigsmile:)

[QUOTE=Whappo;2541411]First things first: What’s your budget?[/QUOTE]

Well, something in the range of reasonable I suppose.

I guess I can squeeze in a little more money in the budget for the camera, but I’d rather limit it to a reasonably good camera at a good price.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2541413]And are you looking for a small, convenient point and shoot, or are you considering a DSLR?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I think I’d go for a small camera rather than a DSLR one. The smaller ones seem to be easier to toss into a coat pocket or something like that and have it ready whenever I happen to go somewhere.

That’s why I was leaning towards the Pentax cameras, I remember they have some pretty small and slim models as well.

[QUOTE=deanimator;2541512]Digital or film???

Budget?

What do you want to take pix of?

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Definitely digital.

Dunno, don’t need it for any special purpose or special project if I may say so. Just want to be able to take pics when I go away on vacation or when going out with friends and this sort of things.

[QUOTE=BussyB;2541520]That’s a very interesting approach, and really applicable for people without in-depth technical knowledge (e.g. my parents :bigsmile:)[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:)) Well actually UTR’s suggestion seems like a pretty good idea to me.
Why didn’t I think of that?:confused:

[QUOTE=harveybubba;2541807]:bigsmile:)) Well actually UTR’s suggestion seems like a pretty good idea to me.
Why didn’t I think of that?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Also, take short videos at the highest resolution. Nowadays cameras can be excellent video recorders and can record in high definition.

Cool, will also keep that in mind though to be honest I’m more interested in getting good pictures that making videos with the digital camera, so that’s probably lower on my criteria list for choosing the digital camera.

First rule: Stick to brands that are well known in either optical or technology areas.

Power format, now me, I’m anti-proprietary, so it’s AA NiMH all the way. The quick and cheap substitution of economical consumer NiMH beats Li-Ion for me, similarly, I prefer SD/SDHC over any other memory format.

I’d sooner drop a few megapixels for a better optical zoom. I like a good macro capability.

And I broke all my rules, my current camera, replacing my old and bulky Kodak DX3700, is a Sony Ericsson C902, a 5 megapixel cameraphone, so instead of choosing to “take the camera”, it’s in my pocket, and I love the “spy camera” pullout - no fiddling with menus, just pull the camera slide cover, and it jumps straight from keylock into camera ready - also one of the very few phones with a lens cover.

Could have got a phone and a better camera at the same price, but wouldn’t half give me a lumpy pocket if I carried it all the time, or wouldn’t have had it on me for the lone cycle wheel chained to the rack (the rest of the bike had gone!).