Getting a new burner - what are the things I should look out for?

Finally got the money to buy a burner. Which models are more versatile, and what should I know about choosing a burner?

I figure I would want to have DVD-RAM, no Lightscribe.

If you definitely want DVD-RAM, I’d look for an LG or a LiteOn.

As for which one, everyone has a favourite!

BTW, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

If you want DVD-RAM, these are the better choices: LG GSA-H10N and Lite-On SHM-165P6S (or 165H6S -Lightscribe). Other than that, many recommends BenQ DW1650 (or DW1655 -Lightscribe) but these has no DVD-RAM.

Thanks guys. I was just reading up about these 2 drives. Is it true that the LG GSA-H10N does not allow scanning of your burned discs?

Yep. If you want quality scanning, my personal choices would be the LiteOn or BenQ drives that zevia mentioned (of course, with the BenQ 1650/55, you lose the RAM support). :slight_smile:

In that case it’s probably Lite-On SHM-165P6S then.

BTW, is there anything else I should know about buying the drive or media for it? I’m kinda like a complete n00b to this…

Aside from buying quality media (Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are highly thought of, and used a lot on the forum)?

Well, if you buy the LiteOn, you might like to also download the SmartBurn utility (I’ll see if I can dig up a link). :slight_smile:

Man, BenQ seem like THE DRIVE to get. Based on feedback, it seems like the burns are top quality.

If only it can support dragging/dropping of files like DVD-RAM media… I wouldn’t be wasting the excess space on my discs then…

I can confirm that I get excellent burns on my BenQs…unfortunately, as you’re finding out, there is no “one drive does it all” solution.

That’s part of the reason why most of us on here own more than one drive! :slight_smile:

Is there a way to plan a burn such that I maximise the usage of the storage space on a single disc? Or burn onto a disc that already has data in it?

I previously had a CD burner, and I always waste space when archiving… If I could have planned properly, I would have saved so many CDs!

I just tend to store stuff in a folder on a seperate hard drive partition, then when it gets to DVD size, slap it onto a disc.

Not the most foolproof way, as I’d lose it all if my HDD died.

I guess you could fill the disc up bit by bit with packet-writing software, but that kind of software usually causes more problems than it is useful.

That probably doesn’t help much :bigsmile:

Quality burns are too important to give up. Think I’ll go for the BenQ 1650/55 instead.

Something I found out while reading is that DVDs have batch numbers on them. How do I get these numbers when buying DVDs?

Nice choice :iagree:

As for the batch number…it’s found around the hub of the disc, you may have to tilt the disc a bit as it’s hard to see. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if there’s a way of seeing batch numbers before you buy media.

Thanks for the help, Arachne.

As for the batch number, wouldn’t it be impossible to determine if the DVDs are in spindles or even worse, individual jewel boxes?

No problem :slight_smile:

And yeah, I agree it’d be impossible to determine…unless as I say, you’ve already bought the media, have a disc in your hand, and really look hard for it. AFAIK they don’t put it on the spindles or boxes.

Correct me if I’m wrong, there’s actually software that can tell you that? (Just saw in some threads). Can’t these batch numbers actually be manipulated/faked by manufacturers?

Anyway, this Taiyo Yuden brand sounds new. Apart from this, I’ve come across most of the brands mentioned frequently in the forum (TDK/Verbatim/Mitsubishi/Ricoh). Is it the best media for burning?

Ohhhhh you mean the MID (Manufacturer ID)? Yep, CD-DVD Speed and DVDIdentifier will tell you that info.

Yeah, sometimes the MID can be faked…shouldn’t be any fake stuff at the links below, though.

Taiyo Yuden are a manufacturer, not a brand (I should have mentioned that)…their discs are sold under the Plextor brands, Verbatim, Panasonic…you just have to look for “Made in Japan” on the box/spindle.

And yeah, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (except the “Pearl White” Verbatims) are considered by a lot of us to be the best.

Don’t know where you’re located, but if you’re in the UK, you can buy Taiyo Yuden online from www.svp.co.uk (I use them myself)…and if you’re in the US, www.rima.com :slight_smile:

A simple search of “Pearl White” Verbatims gave so many complaints… :disagree:

Seems like I better pay attention to the media I use this time round… don’t want those data to be lost…

Oh, www.rima.com is not working for me… And I don’t see TYs (or any Plextor/Verbatim/Panasonic at www.svp.co.uk.

Re: SVP - here’s some for ya :slight_smile:

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=765
http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1082

The Verbs are out of stock, though :sad:

(And the Rima site works fine for me, of course it’s only handy if you’re in the US ;))

Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m from Singapore. Shipment might be expensive.

Now I see how TYs are sold. So next time I’m buying DVD media, it’s safe to just go for these established brands?

Plextor/Panasonic/Verbatim/TDK/Mitsubishi/Ricoh

How about CDs? I have a bunch of Imation left unused, but burns so far can still be read. Do the above brands market good CDRs as well?