Get what you pay for? Revert back to HS0K? How

vbimport

As some know, I bought a DVD burner from BEST buy and the firmware is HS0K.

I then bought one from NewEgg and this firmware is HS0P.

Both are marked MADE in JAN 04.

However, the Newegg (HS0P) rips at 2,907k per second and the Best Buy one rips two times faster.

I tried the test (SAME DVD) using Shrink several times…

The only difference appears to be the firmware, both are retail box.

So, can someone tell me how to revert BACK to HSoK?? I can’t find anything that will do it…the lite on site only has the newer one, and does any one think this IS the problem to begin with???

Read the tools sticky at the top of this forum or the link is also in my signature.

LtnFW or FlashFix are the the easiest imo.

Thanks, found LtnFW and went to HS0K, still reading/ripping at half the speed (2,907) vs double on the other drive…

why is this…??

DVD Shrink (43 minutes to rip) vs (27 minutes) for exact same model drive…

I also noticed when I was creating a data DVD it (the one from NewEgg) seemed a little slower…

it wasn’t until I went to back up a DVD that I noticed the ripping speed was cut in half…

On the phone now with NewEgg, will see what happens…

Is DMA enabled?
Tried a different/new 80 wire IDE cable yet?
Tried reverting to default Microsoft IDE drivers?

INSERT Homer Simpson “…doh…”

I’m thinking, of course DMA is selected, nothing was changed, unplug power and ide cable and that’s that right??? Wrong.

When I went to look at the system control panel then PCI IDE controller (expecting to see DMA 2), it said UNAVAILABLE…

I was like, hmmmmmmm, then I remembered, the LITE ON ships with the setting of SLAVE, and I have it on as a MASTER channel ( a change I made with the original DVD burner…" INSERT Homer Simpson “…doh…” again.
This will make a difference for sure…

Changed the hardware tab on burner, all is fine…

INSERT Homer Simpson “…doh…” one last time…

:bigsmile:

my oh my how grown up we are here, not one smart alek retort.

.:bigsmile:

Perhaps this will remind others to check the back pin config (on burner)…

Special Thanks to Ssseth to getting me there quicker…:bow:

hmmmmmmn, slower speed and an experienced comp user doesnt check DMA settings…:sad:

I know, I know…
Tell me about it, It was next on the list…, I’ve got a home network, can hack away at regedit, know XP and MAC OS, (ole dos commands), can fix driver conflicts,

The only thing I forgot was that the lite-ons ship with the default setting of “SLAVE” and I had it on a master bus.

I was too busy thinking, darn, I tried to save $50 some odd dollars and maybe I got a bad OEM part. Uggggg. The model was the same, the firmware was different, so I went from there. Then after reflashing the firm, it was still slow.

My thinking was everything is exactly the same, only it wasn’t. Tech 101. “Is It Plugged In?”

Now I need to figure out if I should re-flash up to the “P” from the HS0K. But “K” seems to work fine.

Any major differences?

most say P is the shizzle, especially for + and +rw.
I can confirm that.

and most say E is the daddy of - media.
I too can confirm that.

but, most also agree that you ought to try all of them (E to P), if you can, and decide for yourself, because you never know what your burner may like or dislike.

Thanks, maybe I’ll do just that.

I’m also trying to determing what media is the best, I see a lot of brands that am un-familiar with, as I have stuck with Memorex and TDK so far.

But, like the Lite-Ons are similar to Sony, Ssseth pointed me to a program that shows what (to it’s best ability) media it really is…(smart burn) and that TDK is actually Ricoh Company Limited.

I’m also new to figuring out what a good price is…Best Buy had TDK +4 25 for $24.99, so I went with that, usally using Memorex.

Now, at the beggining of all this, I was using Xcopy and was not getting good results, and in the process, or so it seems, I was told that +R is great for Data and -R is good for movies, but I think that depends on your standalone, ie. if it’s new, it will play both.

My first batch of DVD’s was a MEMOREX -R4X 25 pack, and I backed up some movies, then I picked up some +R 4X TDK as the lite on’s write to them at 8X. Just finished burning a movie at 8X to it and will see how it fairs…

You should check out the bit setting section of my tools guide. You can make +R discs -ROM making them as compatible as -R on set top DVD players :iagree:

Originally posted by Ssseth
You should check out the bit setting section of my tools guide. You can make +R discs -ROM making them as compatible as -R on set top DVD players :iagree:

Thanks, is that like the Lite On tool (utility) that makes the +R DVD ROM or is it the same thing. If so, I’ve used it already and it works great.

Yes, he was referring to the LiteOn Booktype utility.

Originally posted by sidebar
most say P is the shizzle, especially for + and +rw.

Shizzle? What is shizzle? Excuse me but i don’t understand.
Thank’s.

shizzle= the “one”, the best firmware

Originally posted by mognegna
Shizzle? What is shizzle? Excuse me but i don’t understand.
Thank’s.

well according to the urban dictionary it means either

the sh*t or for sure.

Fo’ Shizzle Mah Nizzle Off Tha Heezy Fo’ Sheezy Mah Neezy :smiley:

Anyways, back to the thread my nizzles, my liteon is ripping at 0.5x, anyone know why?

HS0K

Originally posted by nealh
shizzle= the “one”, the best firmware

Ok…thank’s.

Originally posted by Nuke209
[B]Fo’ Shizzle Mah Nizzle Off Tha Heezy Fo’ Sheezy Mah Neezy :smiley:

Anyways, back to the thread my nizzles, my liteon is ripping at 0.5x, anyone know why?

HS0K [/B]

dma, aspi… so many things come to mind.
how about : this