Get Video off LVW-5026

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVW-5026. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I have an old lvw-5026, on which I have some video’s of my kids which I copied of a old analogue Camcorder just before it failed. However I never managed to get the backed up anywhere else because as seems to be common with these machines the DVD drive failed soon afterwards. I was hoping to conect the HD directly to a PC and convert the video files into something I could back up. Unfortuantely I can’t find anything the recognises the file format.

Anyone any idea how I can do this. I really don’t want to have to replace the DVD drive just to get these files as this machine is no longer used.

Regards

I’d also like to know this as well as I have the same problem.

Hi Mark,

I actually managed to do this by connecting the Hard Drive from the palyer directly to my PC. I found the Video files but they had a funny extension that nothing recognised, i think it is *.V01 but can’t remember exactly off the top of my head.

However I copied one of them and just tried changing the file extension at the end. I changed them to *.VOB (the format on DVDs so assume this is a type of mpeg 2 format) and I could then view them in any PC DVD player.

So all lite on did was to change the filename, the format is actually just standard mpeg 2 and not converted or encrypted in any way. Note I never tried *.mpg but I assume that will work as well.

Regards

I didn’t know you did that because the last time I tried my hard drive on my PC it couldn’t see the hard drive so I don’t know if I’m doing anything wrong or my LVW-5026 is a later issue of the player that stopped the user from accessing the hard drive when taking it out and using it on their PC. I’ll have to try it again to make sure, but I’m pretty sure that my PC couldn’t see the hard drive and I tried it both through USB where it made my PC hang as well as slave through IDE that prevented it from even booting. I’ll try it again anyway and report back if I’ve had any success just as soon as I’ve done a few things such as making a movie using Nero Express, but anyway thanks a lot for helping me with this.

Mark,

That is a bit strange, My drive is currently sitting in a HD exlcosure and works ok, or did the last time I looked at it. I am using windows XP and I think the drive is FAT. I’ll have a look tonight to see if I can see anything else

Regards

Denis

You could replace the DVD burner in the recorder if everything else on the recorder works.

I don’t know if it’s relevant for this model, but here is a review of a rebadged Liteon unit with details on the file system…

I must’ve been doing something wrong because I just tried it again and my PC now sees it. I also tried it through the USB but instead of setting it to master like I do with my other hard drives you have to set it to cable select in order for it to see it which isn’t a problem. I played the supposed .vob files in the TITLE.VOB folders and windows media said it didn’t recognise the extention, but may still be able to play if I wish to proceed which I did and they play. I think I prefer recording non-DVD compliant video files through it via scart lead because to me Nero Express appears to lose frames even though I’ll get some generational loss and thank you very much to denis2204 as well as all for help.

I figured out that even though video files on a DVD recorder’s hard drive without a file extension will play through Windows Media Centre and seem to convert the result turns out to not play even when you give them the .vob file extension. I found out that giving them the file extension .mpeg makes them play after being converted and I doubted that it’d solve the problem but just gave it try because I was running out of ideas what to do.