Get avi. onto one DVD+R disc

vbimport

My first post and I need to stress that my tech knowledge is INCREDIBLY low. Understand almost nothing going on here. Searched the forums archive for an answer and couldn’t get one.

Using NeroVision Express 3 to burn video onto a DVD+R (4.7gb/120 min - Data & Video) disc. Starts with “Add Video Files” and open file I want which gives me the following msg:

Your project currently exceeds the capacity of a normal DVD, but still fits onto a DVD-9 disc. You need a DVD-9 media to record your project on.

Do you want to have the project quality reduced automatically so that your project will fit into the available space? If you click No, the project size will be expanded to DVD-9.

If I click NO I get:

Your project contains more PAL than NTSC material, but will be encoded in NTSC if you use the current settings. Do you want to change the settings to PAL, so that your project will be encoded in the video mode that matches the majority of the project’s contents?

Do I want yes or no here? ALSO, when I click NO it changes from “Burn” the project to “Write”.

OR do I go back to the DVD-9 question and click YES?

NOW it’s even weirder because I tried the process again and am no longer given the “DVD-9” YES or NO option. It automatically goes to the NO option. What’s going on here?

As you can see, I’m VERY confused and just want to make a quality DVD. TRULY as newbie as you can get. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I think at some point you set video options and choose these to be your defaults. I’ve just tried this & having done this I don’t get asked these questions next time through, it uses what I selected the previous time. Go into video options & select “automatic” for the quality setting. This may help.
I don’t use this program so I’m not 100% sure about this.

Thanks :slight_smile: , but it’s already on “Automatic”. Any other thoughts from anyone else? I just don’t understand why I can’t burn a 1hr 48min avi.movie onto a 120min DVD+R. Can anyone confirm that I should be using NeroVision Express 3 for this and not something else (Nero Express, Nero Burning ROM, etc)?

Robnyt, what you do is add your avi file regardless of eventual size. Okay, now select “more”, then “video options”, then the “dvd-video” tab. Change the “quality setting” from automatic to custom, you will now have a “bit rate” option amend this to a lower value until it fits onto a dvd5 disk, once you done this it will flag a warning about using this same setting for every time you use this, i would advise a no on that one, then proceed onwards to next part of vision express. For some reason NVE doesnt have a dvd5 or dvd9 default fit option, oh well, maybe in a later update.

OK, might be getting closer here. Couple of questions (and this would be MUCH easier if I were in front of my home PC instead of work).

Change the “quality setting” from automatic to custom, you will now have a “bit rate” option amend this to a lower value…
***If I recall correctly, there’s only two other numerical options along with the “automatic”. I believe I’ve tried doing this and neither changed the fact that the file was too big. I’ll try again, so which rate do you recommend?

…until it fits onto a dvd5 disk.
***What is this? I’m using a FujiFilm DVD+R (W).

AND to confirm, I’m using NeroVision Express 3 and not one of the other applications?

Busy at work, looking at fourms ic, :slight_smile: There’s seven options under “quality”, Auto, Long, Short, Custom, etc. Just choose custom. A dvd5 is your blank dvd disk i.e a dvd+r or dvd-r, which is your fuji disk, its just another term for it. Nero Vision express 3 is the program to use.

add your avi file regardless of eventual size. Okay, now select “more”, then “video options”, then the “dvd-video” tab.
***doing as you instructed with [Video CD] NeroVision Express 3. However, under “video options” there’s only one tab which is “General” and that asks you for VIDEO MODE (United States NTSC) and SMART ENCODING (which I’ve checked yes. why, I don’t know). There is no “dvd-video” tab. Can you help?

ic whats happened, a video CD will not work because it will try to fit the file onto a CD. You are after a DVD. So select “Make DVD…” and choose DVD-Video, then “add video files”, you will see the video options should have “general” and “dvd-video” tabs. Actually when NVE3 is started and before selecting any options if you click on the “more” button and then “default video options” you can see all the tabs for all modes of vision express.

ic whats happened, a video CD will not work because it will try to fit the file onto a CD. You are after a DVD.
***Please let me clarify so I know we’re on the same page. When you say I’m “after a DVD”, you know I’m looking to burn avi. video files off my hard drive and onto a DVD+R so I can watch on my DVD player connected to my TV? I’m NOT trying to copy a pre-existing DVD (i.e.:store bought Spider-Man 2) to another disc.

So select “Make DVD…” and choose DVD-Video, then “add video files”, you will see the video options should have “general” and “dvd-video” tabs. Actually when NVE3 is started and before selecting any options if you click on the “more” button and then “default video options” you can see all the tabs for all modes of vision express.

***I’ll give this a try when I get home later and hopefully it will work. Can you PLEASE continue to monitor this thread as you’re really helping a lot.

I havea question thats a little off topic but I have a gaming video in avi format, if I burn it will my dvd player in my living room play it?

shady elite, slightly off topic, but to answer your question, yes and no. It depends on whether your player will play an avi, its no doubt in the manual. As a general rule if its a standard dvd player it wont, you will have to convert it.

robnyt, you cant burn a avi directly onto a dvd or cd disk, as it wont play in your dvd player, you must convert it first into a dvd format, which is what NVE3 does. Hence the options available if you want to burn to a dvd choose “make dvd” which would be your dvd+r disk.

There’s seven options under “quality”, Auto, Long, Short, Custom, etc. Just choose custom. A dvd5 is your blank dvd disk i.e a dvd+r or dvd-r, which is your fuji disk, its just another term for it. Nero Vision express 3 is the program to use.

***And we’re back. RIGHT ON the money about hitting the MORE button on startup to get to the options I need.

Questions:

1. Under “Quality” there’s only High, Standard, and Long. Why am I not seeing the 7 options you mentioned?

2. Do I need to adjust the Aspect Ratio? It’s on Automatic but do I need 4:3 or 16:9 and which of those is the higher quality copy?

3. Do I need to adjust Sample format, Bit rate, Resolution, Encoding mode, and Audio format? If so, to what?

Under “Quality” there’s only High, Standard, and Long. Why am I not seeing the 7 options you mentioned?

This is curious, im not sure why, is your version of Nero an oem one (supplied with your dvd writer) or is it bought from Ahead software. If its an oem version it may be restricted in it’s use. Also is there not an scroll bar at the side of the drop down menu.

Do I need to adjust the Aspect Ratio? It’s on Automatic but do I need 4:3 or 16:9 and which of those is the higher quality copy?

Leave this as automatic, as the program will detect a widescreen or full frame and create the proper dvd version.

Do I need to adjust Sample format, Bit rate, Resolution, Encoding mode, and Audio format? If so, to what?

Sample format, dont alter this, again this is controled by nero.

Encoding mode, this is a quality setting, default is “2 pass”, which means it will process the avi twice and give a “higher” quality dvd, however it does take a long time, 1 pass takes about the same time as the avi file is long, i.e 1hr avi = 1hr encoding, more or less.

Resolution, leave this at auto or whatever the default option is, this is the dvd resolution depending on whether its a PAL or NTSC encoded avi.

Bit rate, this is what you alter to ensure the avi fits onto a dvd disk, some experamintation is required here to find the exact size. This option is usable when you have selected custom. If you can alter this option anyway go ahead and lower the value, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen should eventually drop below 4.7GB.

is there not an scroll bar at the side of the drop down menu.
***Once again, you’re 100% correct as the 7 settings are there.

Encoding mode, this is a quality setting, default is “2 pass”, which means it will process the avi twice and give a “higher” quality dvd, however it does take a long time, 1 pass takes about the same time as the avi file is long, i.e 1hr avi = 1hr encoding, more or less.
***So “2 pass” takes longer to burn BUT produces a better quality video AND it has NOTHING to do with getting a large file onto one disc? Right?

Bit rate, this is what you alter to ensure the avi fits onto a dvd disk, some experamintation is required here to find the exact size. This option is usable when you have selected custom. If you can alter this option anyway go ahead and lower the value, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen should eventually drop below 4.7GB.
***So if I’m understanding correctly, Bit rate is what’s going to accomplish “One Disc” task? Also, the “progress bar”, do you mean the screen where if the file is too long and it crosses the red line the color becomes yellow (I think)? Lastly, what would you set the bit rate to? Starts at 5073 kbit/s.

AGAIN, thank you SO MUCH for your help, assistance, and patience with me on this. It is GREATLY appreciated. :smiley:

So “2 pass” takes longer to burn BUT produces a better quality video AND it has NOTHING to do with getting a large file onto one disc? Right?

Nope, none what-so-ever to do with disk size. As for quality, it depends, if the avi file is from an camcorder or DV camera, then go with 2 pass, if its an avi from the internet, it will have a low quality anyway 800-1200kbit/s, so it may not make any difference from 1 pass to 2 pass.

So if I’m understanding correctly, Bit rate is what’s going to accomplish “One Disc” task? Also, the “progress bar”, do you mean the screen where if the file is too long and it crosses the red line the color becomes yellow (I think)? Lastly, if you had to take a guess, what would you say to set the bit rate to? Remember it starts at 5073 kbit/s.

Exacty right for the progress bar, make sure its before the red line, but do give a bit of space, as when you create a menu it also take up a bit of space as well. As for the 5073, yes just amend that to 4000 and see what happens, increase if nowhere near the red line, decrease if still to close. Hence the guess work, different avi files would require different kbit/s rates.

UPDATE!

Got BIG file (1,195,903 kb) on one disc w/4960 kbit/s, “2-Pass”, and Resolution: 720 x 480 [CCIR - 601 D1].That’s the good. The bad is how it played on Panasonic DVD-L50 player connected to TV. Video/Audio sometimes pixilated, jerky, and skipped. Frustrating as other DVD’s I’ve burned have worked while others not. This (as you know) was first attempt after changing settings.

Tried same DVD in my PC’s InterVideo WinDVD 6. Much better, except picture lacked sharpness displayed on Windows Media Player viewing AND audio was off-track 1 second behind the video. Any thoughts?

Got BIG file (1,195,903 kb) on one disc This doesnt seem a very big file in the end, most dvd’s should hit about 4,200,000 odd, which is why its probably pixilated a lot, unless the 1,195,903 the size on the avi file, which would also explain the pixelation as well, i.e the avi file must be a long film. A rough guide is a 90min film you can use around 6000kbit for encoding.

As for the audio and video sync problem, yes, this is a very common problem, with aquired avi files. Can this be fixed? Yes, but it isnt easy, per say, verging on complicated.

Here goes: you require a program called Virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/, download, unzip to a folder and run the program. Now open your avi file with this program, if theres an error in the audio track it will tell you upon opening the avi file, you can use “file info” which tells you the codec for video and audio, if its unknown it will display tag2000 or tag something. Now use “save wav” and it will extract the audio track only. You now have avi file and a wav file, you will have to re-combine these togeather so that the original avi file audio track is removed and is replaced by this wav version. This corrects 99.99999% of all audio/video sync problems.

Now comes the hard part, getting Nero to accept this new audio track, there was alot of swearing involved here, its not designed to do this “properly”, sort of, i’m not exactly sure why it does this, you may have more success, than i had. You have to use the “make movie” option instead of “Make dvd”, then use the “browse” button and add the avi file, browse again and add the wav file, now drag and drop the avi into the “video track” part, drag and drop “wav” into “audio track 1”, then hit next, then alter any kbit rate etc. Use the “make movie” from within the “make dvd video” option, if you use it directly from nve3’s main menu, it crashed when you use next buttton :confused: You should, when this has finished a dvd with a new audio track or one that has 2 audio tracks, as i havent tested this.

These may help:

http://www.ahead.de/en/Tutorials_Vision_Express_2.html Same as vesion 3 i belive

Unfortunalty i cant help much beyond this, as i dont ever use this program any more or ever used it, this is not to take anything away from Nero, its just not got such an easy way of dealing with this, but ask anyways. I use TMPGENC Plus, which is very easy for avi files, add avi file, add your wave file, hit next twice, change kbit rate and encode away. Obviously not the cheapest program around, but its results are very good. Then you can use nero to create menu etc.

I’ll try this and TRULY thank you so much for the obvious time, energy, and consideration you put into trying to help me. It is GREATLY appreciated. Have a wonderful new year.

I did that, but even on the lowest setting (1600 something) it is still too big for one disc =( How come?