German court sets copyright levy on new PCs

vbimport

I just posted the article German court sets copyright levy on new PCs.

Germans
purchasing a new Personal Computer will have to pay 12 Euro (~$16,-) copyright
fee. This is due to the outcome of a lawsuit
between VG Wort rights society, an organisation that…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9641-German-court-sets-copyright-levy-on-new-PCs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9641-German-court-sets-copyright-levy-on-new-PCs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I thought, copy protection, DRM and the like were introduced to compensate copyright holders. Now, I have to pay twice. Rip off!! :(:r

OK, since the Germans are collecting money on blank media, and now on computers, and giving it to the copyright holders as compensation, does that mean it’s OK to go ahead make copys in Germany? After all, the rights holders are already being compensated! So the Germans are paying for the right to copy, it seems to me.

This sounds pretty much like the same deal we have here in Canada. Because we pay taxes on all blank media, we are allowed to make copies. I guess this is one way to ensure those fat companies continue to make their money. I just wonder how long it will take before the levy is super high. I know at one point here in Canada they wanted to make it a dollar per DVD.

No… not 12 euro… does it matter? thats like less than 1% the cost of the PC.

Give in to the extortionists on little things and you will eventually end up giving them big things. 12 euros seem small now…

Yeah, wait until the bastards buy off your government ministers and they jack it up to 100 euros.

>I just wonder how long it will take before the >levy is super high. I know at one point here in ?Canada they wanted to make it a dollar per ?DVD. What ??? !! Here is our stupid Belgium country we already have to pay 1 EURO (yes, ONE EURO !!) per DVD !! :r :r You canadians are lucky bastards !! :c

What ??? !! Here is our stupid Belgium country we already have to pay 1 EURO (yes, ONE EURO !!) per DVD !! :r You canadians are lucky bastards !! :c
[edited by pat357 on 28.12.2004 18:59]

It’s only pathetic! We here in Germany pay for empty audiotapes, videotapes, cd-media, dvd-media, printers, copiers, burners, tv-cards, etc. etc. etc. And if that wouldn’t be enough, we are not allowed to make copies of things be have paid for… That’s a industry-backed RIP OFF - nothing else.

Better make sure you all get the most for your money, if they’re charging you a tax, then you’re clearly entitled to copy stuff, afterall you don’t hand over money in return for nothing do you? So copy away Germany, you’re government has just legitimised piracy for you… :d Politicians…the stupidity and ignorance is staggering!

It’s a way to ensure that we can tell fat companies to bugger off if they want to try to sue us like they are doing in the US.

what are you crying about you dont buy your warez do you ? these guys will always find a way to get their money back from the pirates just the legitamate buyers wil be forced to pay for the p2p pirates

Why would anyone buy warez who is a regular reader of this site? If anyone wanted to do warez they’d simply do it themselves, because they can. Warez only exists because prices are sky high, without sky high prices there is no warez, or copying of anything, there’d be no point.

(Spam)