Geohot releases universal Android root exploit – just install an APK

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Geohot releases universal Android root exploit – just install an APK[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2009/10/500px-android-logo_svg.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/geohot-releases-universal-android-root-exploit-just-install-an-apk-71833

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wowzers… i wonder if this works correctly.

Downloading it anyway before it’s gone! :slight_smile:

Can anyone tell me if it really works without problems? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2729882]Wowzers… i wonder if this works correctly.

Downloading it anyway before it’s gone! :slight_smile:

Can anyone tell me if it really works without problems? :)[/QUOTE]

Works like a charm.

I gave it a try on my HTC one SV phone, but it doesn’t appear to work, so I suspect my phone is one of the HTC models with a write-protected system partition.

When the APK is installed, Google gives a warning that this app attempts to bypass Android’s security and advises not to proceed, so I continue anyway. :wink: When the App launches, it displays a button to perform the operation. Once touched, it displays a message saying the phone will be rooted once it reboots. However, when I tried Apps2ROM (which requires root) and attempted moving an app, it told me that I need root access, where as this works fine on my other rooted phone.

I’m not sure if unlocking the HTC bootloader removes the write protection, but will give that a try later. The catch with unlocking the bootloader is that it wipes the phone.

Interesting tool!:iagree:
If it really works on a lot of devices,we can expect many more rooted Android hardware…

Very interesting indeed! :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Does not work on old Samsung Galaxy S 9001 phone :frowning:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2729942]Does not work on old Samsung Galaxy S 9001 phone :([/QUOTE]

This seems to only works on Ice Cream, Jelly bean, and kitkat OS. Doesn’t work on Ginger Bread.

I decided to go ahead with unlocking the bootloader of my phone as with the phone being over a year old, it could do with a clean installation. The phone then acted like new and Google gave the option of doing a restore which put on the apps I had along with their settings, e.g. I didn’t need to configure my SIP app. The only thing I lost was text messages, which I don’t care about.

Unfortunately, it seems like the locked bootloader was not the culrpit, as even with the bootloader unlocked, the Towelroot app still didn’t work. The phone rebooted once I performed its ‘Make it ra1n’ operation, but a quick test with a Root dependent app told me I don’t have root access. On the other hand, now that I’ve the tedious process involved with unlocking the bootloader over with, I’ll follow a root guide later for my phone.

[QUOTE=Macrovision3500;2729944]This seems to only works on Ice Cream, Jelly bean, and kitkat OS. Doesn’t work on Ginger Bread.[/QUOTE]
That would explain a lot. Thanks.

Hey guys i tried towel root for my device it’s a galaxy note 3 android : v4.4.2 kitakat , but it says your device isn’t currently supported please when you make a towel root working on this device send me a link on my email.
Big thanks guys

[QUOTE=sobhinehme;2746926]Hey guys i tried towel root for my device it’s a galaxy note 3 android : v4.4.2 kitakat , but it says your device isn’t currently supported please when you make a towel root working on this device send me a link on my email.
Big thanks guys[/QUOTE]
You may need to use the other codes that are presented on the website.