Geo 5 dye disk/drive combo problem on Samsung SH-182M

Hi there to all in this form. Just found it and it looks great.

I’m using a samsung sh-s182m burner and although it seems to work v-well for me, I can’t get it to burn geo 5 dye disks at full speed. IE a ritek 16x geo 5 disk, the burner only sees it as a 4x. Firmwares up-to-date and drive seems to be configured ok but still… It’s a good, solid burner too. Pity.
Any sugestions???

Was reading this form and saw people having problems with the lead-in on dvd-r for this drive. This answered a question I had about the length of the lead in time and the fact that other people including my burner couldn’t see -r disk that were burn’t on my burner ( my old asus 16x rom sees them though. It read’s through anything ). Could somebody post a link to the fixed firmware for this issue as I can’t seem to find it. ( I tried, honest ).

Thanx in advance.

BTW, here’s my specs and software used; incase it helps.

AM2 X2 4200+, Asus M2N4-SLI, 2gig dual channel DDR2 800, SB XFI, 1gig geforce 7950 gx2, 600 gig sata raid.
Vista 32 ultimate, Nero ultra 7.8.5.0, Alcohol 1.9.6.4719

Sorry. Just realised I’ve posted this in the wrong place. :rolleyes:
Well I’m new to the form.

No problem at all, it happens all the time. Just don’t post it elsewhere.

Ritek G05 , which I assume is what you’re referring to , is decidedly crap media. It’s only 8x rated, not 16x , and the Samsung will only burn it at 4x - probably wise.

The firmware for the lead-in fixed can be found here but have a read of this thread .

I’d suggest dumping those G05 disks as it’s very likely that they’ll degrade within a few months of burning to such a state that they’ll be unreadable.

Some of the best disks for this burner would be Verbatim or Infiniti 16x +Rs. These are generally MCC004 but if they’re Made In Japan they’ll be TY T03s, which are equally good on this burner. Plextor branded 16x +R as are also likely to be the TY T03s , note that these burn very well at 18x on this burner.

Hope that’s helpful.

I’ll move this to the Samsung burner forum (from General Hardware) for you.

Ritek G05 , which I assume is what you’re referring to , is decidedly crap media. It’s only 8x rated, not 16x , and the Samsung will only burn it at 4x - probably wise.

I meant 8x. My heads just not working today. Lack of sleep, the curse of the pc gamer.
Thanx for the links, the info and for moving this. I don’t know much about good dvd’s to use. Now I do.
BTW, didn’t know my burner burns 18x. Supperb. :bigsmile:
Thanx again.

Just to say thanx again for the links. I’m just by testing my drive using the fix and it worked wonders. My burner now see’s dvd-r disks that it burns and my brothers system sees these disks now too. My lead in time has came down to a more respectable level too.
Problem solved :slight_smile: .