Just tested DVDFab 126.96.36.199 on my Vista 32 Ultimate - and this is really a great piece of software. Its really, really fast and does excatly what I need
I am using the DVD-to-mobile for conversion of DVD’s to xvid/mp3 to be played on my Vista media center. But there is something seriously wrong with the MP3 encoding.
When the final avi’s are played in the media center, they take forever to start (“getting codec”) and fast-forwarding in the movie will loose sound.
So I did a bit of digging into this, and I can see that in Windows Media Player audio is decoded using ffdshow, and not DScaler as my other avi’s (done in AutoGK).
Looking into the generic.avi.xvid.mp3.xml profile, I found this:
<common ver=“0” layer=“2” />
<attr ch_mode=“0” quality=“0” private=“0” orignial=“0” checksum=“0” copyright=“0” />
<vbr method="-1" max_bitrate=“224000” quality=“0” abr=“8” />
Well, it kind of hints that the MP3 encoding is done using and embedded LAME, although I did find anything in the supplied profile documentation about how to configure it. And I assume the quality=“0” mean encode using lame with hightest quality. Now thats not really a great idea, and I was suspecting the problems to come from this. Changing the value to “2” actually makes media player use DScaler - and sometimes solves the
fast forward problem.
I would be great if the guys from fengtao could shed a bit of light on the options here, as making a more sensible configuration of lame would make this tool even better and more useful
My preferred options are:
- 48KHz Sample
- 128kB/s bitrate, joint stereo
- Quality 2