Generic CompUSA DVD+R Media

Has anyone had the oppertunity to test out CompUSAs generic (cheep) DVD+R mediato determine if it works w/ the 451s/851S? I think they have it created by FMI. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any time you see the word “Generic” that should send off bells to stay away. The 4_1S/8_1S series of burners don’t like cheap media. They are probably Princo which vary wildly from batch to batch and can range anywhere from average to complete trash.

My advice? Stay away.
You could get lucky and they possibly could be something else, but I doubt it. You get what you pay for.
I suppose you could buy a 2 pack for giggles to see what they are. After all it’s only $2.99.
If they are indeed Princo and you get lucky and they burn okay don’t consider it a sign that you can go buy a whole bunch and they will work the same. Princo’s can even vary in quality in the same spindle.

One last thing, check out the Kprobe section of this guide to learn how to identify and scan media for errors.

Good luck. :smiley:

Thanks for the info Ssseth!! :slight_smile:

FYI: The 2.4x CompUSA DVD+R I got were Optodisk which may or may not work well in the Liteon’s.