General

i am hoping to build my own computer and think i hav found a resonable processor http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?il-ppd960&P=1 i was hoping somone would be able to tell me if this was a good deal and if not possibly recomend a better one for a similar budget,

the mother board i hope to use is http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?asu-p5wdhd&P=1
i would also appriciate some advice with this

as i am not too familaiar with computers at the moment any help or recomendation for other components would be much abliged

thankyou

stay with the same MOBO but get this CPU:

its about the same price but it will run circles around the D 960

^what he said. the pentium 4 is almost dead/phased out. the core 2 duo is the new beast on the block, and the E6600 has the best price vs performance ratio.

i want this computer to be able to run oblivion
will this proceswsor be fine for that as well

the core 2 duo E6600 is currently the best bang for your buck and will outperform an amd fx-62 at a fraction of the cost, it will be great for oblivion, or anything else you throw at it for that matter :iagree:

just be sure to get a good gfx card too, a geforce 7900gt is very good for the price range (about $260 US) but you can always go higher if you can afford it :wink:

thanks, i am planing to buy a 7900gt but would if possible like some advice towards what to look for in the way of ram i know i want at least a gig (DDR) but other than that i do not know what to look for in terms of ram.

for ram I’d recommend a 2x1Gb matched pair of DDR2-667 cas4 from a reputable company such as corsair, patriot, kingston, ocz…etc

thanks jwill427
i hav looked at the ram type you suggested and was wondering if it would be better as i want to run oblivion if i bought the 800Mhz or even the the 1000Mhz types.

also, is there any major diffenece between the the platium and gold OCZ Memory chips

once again thanks

some ddr2-800 would give you a slight performance boost, especially if you’re going to overclock, but it all comes down to what you want to spend and if you plan to overclock

IMO ddr2-1066 is a waste of money unless you are going to be doing some extreme overclocking

as for the OCZ gold vs. platinum, I don’t see any real differences between the two, but maybe I’m missing something :confused:

thanks, i do not plan to over clock so it is best to for the 667 then

i hav heard that amd is going to be bring out a new processor to rival the lastest from intel, does anyone know when this is going to be and will the amd equivalent be roughly the same price and the intel,
thanks