General questions not in FAQ

I looked through the FAQ and as usual with just about all FAQs’, it is too vague.

Questions;

1. I assume this is a all in one program as opposed to AnyDVD/CloneDVD?,

2. I also assume the whole program has to be updated to update just the newer copy protection schemes?,

3. The section ‘Split’, I 'm confused about unchecking the “Preserve menus on disc 2” option. When I do so, the boxes under disc 1 can not be unchecked. Actually, I’m confused about the purpose of this whole sub section.

4. How can you save the ‘ripped’ files/folders of the disc so as to have them available if you want another copy later as you can with Clone DVD2? I found the option to uncheck the ‘yemp.’ files and where to save them though.

5. How can you name/rename these folders, again as you can with CloneDVD2?

FWIW, I do like the display of the compression level as I do with CloneDVD2. Both programs are within 2% of one another.

Input??

You assume correctly…
And did you read this?
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/

And did you read this?
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/

I looked through the FAQ and as usual with just about all FAQs’, it is too vague.
That was my opening statement!

as t0nee1 has confused, the title of the thread states this is a question of the dvdfab FAQ, not the tutorial. sorry about the confusion.

1. I assume this is a all in one program as opposed to AnyDVD/ CloneDVD?

http://dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm

1. I also assume the whole program has to be updated to update just the newer copy protection schemes?

yes, there are many beta releases and on average two full releases each month. http://dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum-new.htm

1. The section ‘Split’, I 'm confused about unchecking the “Preserve menus on disc 2” option.

this allows a full disc split and keep the menu on disc two so extras can be accessed from disc two.

3b. When I do so, the boxes under disc 1 can not be unchecked. Actually, I’m confused about the purpose of this whole sub section.

if you do a split the menu must be somewhere. if not on disc two then on disc one. http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDSplit

1. How can you save the ‘ripped’ files/folders of the disc so as to have them available if you want another copy later as you can with Clone DVD2?

http://dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/RunningProgram

1. How can you name/rename these folders, again as you can with CloneDVD2?

do a backup to hard drive then right click on the folder and rename.

troy

Thanks for the reply.

if you do a split the menu must be somewhere. if not on disc two then on disc one
Why? I remove the menu with CloneDVD2 with no issues. All I want is the movie.

Ok a couple more;

1. Is there any way that when I open DVDFab it will hide that ‘DVD to Mobile’ tab and open the preview window? It seems to always start with the ‘DVD to Mobile’ tab open and the preview window closed. I see I can remove any of those tabs under ‘Common Settings’.
  2. Whats’ the difference between the ‘Output Directory’ and the ‘Temporary Directory’? Why are there two directories to store the same files?

Read the Tutorial, it has answers to everything you have asked. If you want to split with no menus, use Customize mode and click the “no menus” button. The output directory is used if you are writing to a VIDEO_TS folder instead of a disc. The temporary directory is the default location where the temp file is written before burning to disc and is automatically deleted (unless you select not to) when you click “Finish”. You can make DVDFab open in any mode using the CustomizeUI function in Common Settings. Mine opens in Customize mode.:)[quote=videobruce;1964022]Thanks for the reply.Why? I remove the menu with CloneDVD2 with no issues. All I want is the movie.

Ok a couple more;

1. Is there any way that when I open DVDFab it will start at the ‘MainMovie’ tab with the DVD to Mobile’ hidden and the preview window open? It seems to always open in the ‘Full Disc’ tab with the DVD to Mobile open and the preview window closed. I see I can remove any of those tabs under ‘Common Settings’.
  2. Whats’ the difference between the ‘Output Directory’ and the 'Temporary Directory '?[/quote]

Read the Tutorial, it has answers to everything you have asked.
As I stated (twice) I did, but it obviously isn’t clear!
The output directory is used if you are writing to a VIDEO_TS folder instead of a disc. The temporary directory is the default location where the temp file is written before burning to disc and is automatically deleted (unless you select not to) when you click “Finish”.
Why are there two directories? Why not one and write the TS folder to and a ISO if you want??
On top of the fact it is buried layers deep in that damn Documents & Settings folder which M$ should of never put the two together. It only makes it more confusing.

The way CloneDVD2 does it, allowing you to rename the file BEFORE it is written (saved) and using only one set of files in one location makes far more sense than two different directories.

When in use stay off the Juice…LOL

[QUOTE=tgidday;1964425]When in use stay off the Juice…LOL[/QUOTE]
:iagree: cheers!..:bigsmile:

That’s what you need to operate this lame setup. The program puts files all over the place where it wants to and calls them what it wants to.

You said you read the “FAQ”. I have no idea what that is and assumed it was something from another forum. You can easily set DVDFab to put the temp and output files anywhere you want, they certainly don’t have to go in My Documents (I agree, that is M$B$). People use the software for different things in different ways; the file naming and placement I think was designed for the greatest flexibility. [quote=videobruce;1964420]As I stated (twice) I did, but it obviously isn’t clear! Why are there two directories? Why not one and write the TS folder to and a ISO if you want??
On top of the fact it is buried layers deep in that damn Documents & Settings folder which M$ should of never put the two together. It only makes it more confusing.

The way CloneDVD2 does it, allowing you to rename the file BEFORE it is written (saved) and using only one set of files in one location makes far more sense than two different directories.[/quote]

About the evaluation period

All of our software is distributed as shareware. You can install and try them for 30 days. During this evaluation period, the software is fully functional. To continue using the software after the 30-day evaluation period, you should pay a registration fee.