General questions about making backup copies of CDs

I’ve successfully backed up a few of my old game CDs using DeepBurner (plain dragging and dropping). However, there were occasions where this did not work. Is there a failsafe way to create an image of the disk for testing before burning?

Only thing I can think of would be to use CD-RW to test if your software works, or files are intact, then if so, copy that disc to a regular CDR.

:slight_smile:

Oh, hi Arachne! Thanks for your help last time. Just to let you know, I got a Philips 8801(a rebadged BenQ1650) based on your recommendations. I’m really enjoying it (it’s so quiet). Thanks.

Actually I would prefer a failsafe way to image the game CD to HDD since I do not have any RW media at the moment. I saw many different image formats (.daa, .nrg, .ccd etc) but I still prefer .iso cos it’s all in 1 file. I did try Alcohol 120% but there’s no .iso output. Is Nero the best way to make .iso images?

Update:
I read that DoISO is a great freeware to make .iso files. I tried it but got an error message.

Hi, Nero makes .nrg images, but DeepBurner makes a (temporary) .iso when copying a disc (see below). These images can be mounted in virtual drive software (e.g. Daemon Tools) to run off your HDD.

Hi! :slight_smile: Pleased to hear you’re enjoying your 1650 (one of mine was also a Philips, which I crossflashed to a 1650) :slight_smile:

I think the new version of ImgBurn will make ISOs, although I haven’t gotten round to trying it yet. :slight_smile:

As for mounting images…way beyond me, I’m afraid, so hopefully someone else knows something.

You could have a look around the Copy Protection Forum or the Burning Software Forum for a few ideas, though. :slight_smile:

Edit: Cressida saves the day :bigsmile:

use a program like clonecd or blindwrite to make the image then use daemon tools to mount the image to see if it runs the game

Yes, the problems may arise when the game CD is copy protected. Daemon Tools may be able to emulate that, but that still doesn’t mean the disc you burn from the iso will work.

Don’t “drag & drop” the contents of a CD to copy it, clbdrom. Start a proper disc copy session in Nero or DeepBurner instead. :slight_smile:

who said anything about emulation running in daemon tools? run the image in daemon tools without emulation and if it works its a good image and can be burnt to cd.
Another thing Nero and deepburner will not do protections

Thanks for the help guys.

Cressida, are you using DeepBurner Free or Pro? I am using Free Portable, and I realized that it doesn’t work at all when I’m in a Limited User XP acount. It only works when I use an Administrator account.

Arachne, does crossflashing to 1650 give any difference in any way?

I realize that copy protection is a big topic, probably too much for a newbie like me. I just hope that I can pick it up before my game CDs get mouldy…

It enabled me to quality scan, wich I couldn’t do properly with the Philips firmware.

As for burn quality, couldn’t tell you - all I know is, as a BenQ, it’s a great burner for both CDRs and DVDRs…I crossflashed mine pretty much as soon as I got it (well, after trying to quality scan a disc), so I couldn’t tell you about Philips firmware and its burn quality. :slight_smile:

clbdrom, crossflashing your Phillips to a 1650 in theory might give you better writing performance on certain media, but I would suggest you check out the BenQ subforum on optical drives, then check out the most recent f/w results thread for the 1650. If you can find the results thread for the Phillips burner model you currently use, compare the two performances based on the same media and writing speeds. This is the only way to get a well-informed idea of if the 1650 setup would be better compared to your current Phillips setup. However, read everything carefully first and compare results, then read carefully, especially for the crossflashing procedure. :wink:

[edited] had to re-read which burner clb… had and rewrote my post accordingly.

I believe he has a rebadged 1650:

Just to let you know, I got a Philips 8801(a rebadged BenQ1650) based on your recommendations.

But yeah, when I crossflashed to a 1650, I followed those instructions in zebadee’s sig that you mention :iagree:

:slight_smile:

Oh yah, now that you mention it, I did notice something about scanning. Using Quality Scan in Nero CD/DVD speed was a pain, as it progressed at about 1 sec (of the CD) per second. I hope scanning doesn’t take that long? How long does scanning a completely filled CD or DVD usually take?

Zebadee’s post, thanks to Quema34: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=171380

Actually, I have no preference about the firmware. I just want one that can make full use of my device.

If you scan at 8x, which is the standard for BenQ drives, I’d say it shouldn’t take any longer than just over 10 minutes.

To give you a definite answer, I’ll scan a filled disc in a minute and get back to you. I must warn you, on some BenQ drives, including mine, it can seem like a long time because of periodic slowdowns (there’s a whole thread on it in the BenQ forum).

But IMO, it’s quicker than it would have been with the Philips FW, LOL :wink:

[edit] Arachne posted first, but I’ll leave mine…:o

clb, scanning at 8x (the BenQ default) for a full DVD takes about 9 1/2 minutes for the “Disc Quality” scan and about 4 1/2 for the “Benchmark” or Read Transfer test. :wink: The reason for the Read Transfer test is that it will read your data up to 16x and if the transfer curve is smooth, all your data can be read with no problem. However, when you do the test, let it run and leave your computer alone, as any HDD or other activity on your computer will cause a “blip” or dip in the test. :wink:

to add to what others have just said about quality scanning, if you do not have benq firmware you will not get full scanning effects and what you do get may not be accurate.

philips firmware doesn’t accurately support scanning. this is why scanning was “a pain” as you put it and progressed so slowly. if you want full quality scanning functionality, you’d have to crossflash the drive to a benq using the suggestions stated above.

Haha, I noticed that as well. Took a screenshot but can’t find it (probably deleted it).

At the rate I was going at, a full 80min CD would seriously take 80min. I guess flashing is a must… but the procedure sure does seem confusing…

I scanned a full CDR, which took 3:39 min, and a DVD with 4 gigs of stuff on - that took 10:47 mins :slight_smile:

And Quema’s right about leaving your PC alone whilst scanning :iagree:

That’s it… I’m taking the plunge and crossflashing it soon. BTW, does this drive have DVD-RAM support? I didn’t see it in Infotool.

As long as you follow zebadee’s instructions to the letter, you’ll be fine. I used the exact same guide to do mine :slight_smile:

And nope, no DVD-RAM support, even after crossflashing, I’m afraid!