General open question about burning

Hi,1st time user here and i really am a newbie to all that is computers!!!First of all i have learnt how to burn movies onto discs,however all 3 movies have cut off after 1 hour of viewing.Im not sure what im doing to tell the truth,but would like to finally do what millions are able to.Also when my movies come through i always have to convert them to be able to place them onto dvd but always keep getting text coming up throughout the film saying this convert isnt activated.Sorry if i sound like a 1st year student and asking what is possibly already universally known but i still record onto vhs videotape and need to get with it!!!Cheers for any help!

You don’t mention which software you are using, but it sounds like the trial is limited in a couple of ways…leaving a watermark and possibly a size limit.

If you are converting avi or mp4 or similar files to dvd-video, there are several free choices available that have no limitations. Look up DVDFlick, AVStoDVD and FAVC for this type of conversion. All can make use of a free burning program called ImgBurn to do the actual burn to a disk.

If you want to backup dvds that you own, you should look into a program called DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will decrypt and rip dvds to your hard drive, and will continue to function even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires. You can find it here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm It will not compress a large movie to fit onto a single layer dvd though. For that use DVDShrink. Click on the word DVDShrink and it will take you to the download here at cdfreaks.

If you want to backup dvds that you own, you should look into a program called DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will decrypt and rip dvds to your hard drive, and will continue to function even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires. You can find it here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm It will not compress a large movie to fit onto a single layer dvd though. For that use DVDShrink. Click on the word DVDShrink and it will take you to the download here at cdfreaks.

This might help. posts #67 to #74, but please also read Posts #77 & #78.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

Thanks for the help.It worked but still having problems fitting my movies onto disc…sounds silly but could it be that the disc is too small as there doesnt seem to be any reference to how long in mins the disc is!!Also has most movies are longer than 120mins does that mean i have to go and buy long running discs?I know about the forum rules now and just to clarify that when refering to movies im downloading fully legal movies and hope i dont get told off again ha ha

Another dumb question here…im having trouble with fitting stuff on my blank discs and as there is no reference to how long the disc runs for whether this is why it is ending after 1 hour.Also if my content runs for longer than 120mins does this mean all my disc purchases in future would have to be 180mins discs.I remember in the day of the vhs you could make a 3 hour tape into double time and wondered if there was a similar procedure to that when it comes to dvds or do i have to use 2 discs for a 85 minute film?

All sibgle-layer (SL) DVD media have about 4.38 GiB of free space. You cannot fit more data in them. BUT, if you burn a movie into a SL DVD, then the duration of the movie depends on the compression applied to it. E.g. you can fit 1 hour up to about 3 hours if you want a decent quality. There is a trade-off between duration and quality. You can’t have both. The better the quality, the shorter the duration.

The “2-hours” stamp you see on these discs refer to the duration you can fit if you record in SP mode, which is the most common and standard for standalone DVD recorders. But, as long as you use your PC, you have much more flexibility.

If your movie does not fit a SL DVD, as said, you can use DVD Shrink to reduce its size (not duration) :wink: