General Info - Main Problem with CD-RW Systems

vbimport

Hi Folks,
I thought you might like to know the main issues (problems) I have found with any PC system that have CD ROM, CD-RW Hardware in them.

Problems listed in occurrence order.

1. The main problem is one of IDE channel setup. BAD SETUP = Hard Disks all on Primary and CD's all on Secondary. This is not functional if you understand the basics of binary logic.
    IDE devices should be setup as follows.
    Lets say you have 2 x HD and 2 x CD's (1 CD ROM and 1 CD-RW)
    The setup should be.
    The fastest HD = Primary Master, the 2nd HD on Secondary Master.
    As for the CD's, If the CD ROM is the faster reader, then this should be placed on the Primary channel as the SLAVE and the slower CD-RW on the Secondary channel also as the Slave device.
    CD’s should never be placed as a master if 2 HD’s are present in a system, as this will cause problems with most Hard Disk utility programs.
    In general, cable IDE placement always follows that Master devices are at the end of the IDE cable and Slave are in the middle of the IDE cable. Remember to check the jumpers on the IDE device.

This logic, will eliminate 99% of your problems concerning DAO, Speed, Software and many other issues (problems)

1. DMA settings for all IDE devices are another issue, which mainly effects performance in any Microsoft OS. This should be enabled in all instances. If the device is not DMA capable, the OS will not activate it after you have re-booted (default action after setting DMA)

2. Using 2 or more DR-RW writing programs on one system. Think about it. Like driving 2 cars at the same time.

3. Not updating the OS is another problem. Few PC users ever use Windows Update to fix operating system and other Microsoft related issues.

There are other Sites that also can be used to check your PC for both Firmware and Software updates AND THEY ARE FREE.

BigFix at ver:1.6.1.6 http://www.bigfix.com and,
Catchup from CNet.com http://catchup.cnet.com

Both of these REQUIRE THAT YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND OR TUTORIAL THAT EACH PROVIDE.
Also you MUST have a clear understanding of what is installed on your system in order to choose the correct updates, from these services, for you individual PC systems.

Have a nice day and remember my Moto, If it works, Don't fix it. If you must fiddle, get a violin. Don't fiddle with your Computer."
:smiley: :smiley:

Hey Mr. Bug,

Very timely post as I’m about to add another HD (identical to the one I have). I currently have my HD (40g Western Digital) as master on the 1st IDE channel with my CD rom (Samsung) as slave. My second channel has my Plextor burner as master. When I was re-installing w98 I set up a directory on the HD to do a flat install. If I copied the w98 cabs from my w98 CD using the Samsung (primary slave) and tried to install from C:, setup would fail/hang. If I did the same using the Plextor (secondary master) to copy over the cabs to C:, setup would then proceed normally. Because of this initial problem I always use the burner to install all my software.

I assumed that somehow CDR to HD on the same IDE channel was corrupting the data.

I had also assumed that the burner should always be set as master on the secondary channel.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks

Hello MysticEyes,
What is the speed of the CD ROM (??x) and what is it for the CD-RW (??x ??x ??x)

Originally posted by MysticEyes Hey Mr. Bug,
Very timely post as I’m about to add another HD (identical to the one I have). I currently have my HD (40g Western Digital) as master on the 1st IDE channel with my CD rom (Samsung) as slave. My second channel has my Plextor burner as master. When I was re-installing w98 I set up a directory on the HD to do a flat install. If I copied the w98 cabs from my w98 CD using the Samsung (primary slave) and tried to install from C:, setup would fail/hang. If I did the same using the Plextor (secondary master) to copy over the cabs to C:, setup would then proceed normally. Because of this initial problem I always use the burner to install all my software.
I assumed that somehow CDR to HD on the same IDE channel was corrupting the data.
I had also assumed that the burner should always be set as master on the secondary channel.
Any additional thoughts? Thanks

Logic of IDE device maping is Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, then Secondary Slave.
Hence drive letter assignment would be in your current setup, HD = C, CD-RW = D and CD ROM = E.
Obviously the setup for 98 will go to the 1st CD = D:
The OS setup I always create a Folder (Directory) on the formatted HD (say C:\OSD\win98 [osd = operating system directory, I made that up]) copy the win98 files to it and then bootup and use setup from the win98 folder on the HD. This way I am never asked for the 98 CD again as the system knows where it’s installation files are.

If the CD-RW read ability is faster than the CD ROM read ability then follow my previous logic. Even Selection of IDE devices by any OS = Primary Master, Secondary Master, etc. if there is no 2nd HD, I would always place CD’s on Slave positions.
:smiley: