I just installed the OEM DH-20A4P that I bought a few months ago. I've semi-retired my 1633s@1653s as I've opened and fixed it once before and hope to do it again so I can use it as a scanner.
I'll enumerate the questions so they'll be easier to refer to.
1) The stock firmware on this drive is 9P54. After reading several other threads, some users had 9P57 (probably a later drive - mine had an 04C extension to the model # on the drive). How much of a difference will the 9P59 firmware make?
2) I don't think the latest Omnipatcher can load the firmware for this drive.
With the 9P54 I don't see a multi-color LED scheme. Does anyone see multi-color LED's for read and write on their drive?
3) What is the recommended Nero Discspeed disk quality setting for this drive - 4x or 8X. I've read that all the later drives should be 8x, but I still see some scans using the 4x speed.
4) Does the LtnRpc region control tool work this drive? One other poster said it caused problems for his 20A1P. When I first loaded the drive, there was no region setting, and after my first burn, it was automatically set to 1. My first scan was so-so (q=84), and Nero CD-DVD speed initally couldn't read the disk for a scan, but the second time I loaded CD-DVD speed, the scan was able to be performed.
5) I'm just about to read the Lite-On DH20A4P fastburn thread:
Any opinions as to whether it's useful to load that firmware? I was thinking it would be wiser if I had a 2nd 20A4P to play around with before changing to this firmware.
6) Has anyone tried this drive using an external 5.25" enclosure via the USB port. In the event I see a good sale for a 2nd one, I was thinking of putting it in an enclosure.
7) I know most say that software doesn't matter, but others feel that it does. Has anyone noticed any differences when using either Nero, Imgburn or Ashampoo (or some other program)?
8) Opinions as to which of the following should be enabled:
9) How does this drive perform with CD's? Lite-On's have a reputation of not being able to handle CD's very well. My old 1633s rarely ever gave me anything but a CD coaster. For CD's I still use my old trusty TDK CD writer.
I'm not expecting anyone to answer every question, but hopefully there'll be enough members who answer a few so that all the bases are covered.