General DVD-RW Scan quality Q

vbimport

Not 100% if this has been answered before but what would be considered a decent DVD-RW burn in comparison to a DVD-R?

In general I use MCC 01RW4X and TDK601saku.

I tend to ‘keep’ anything with a PIE peak under 100 (pref av. under 50) and PIF peak under 10 (pref av. under 1) and burn with with BenQ 1650 or NEC 4550A.

Thanks.

That is a great question with no likely answer. I have had decent luck with the levels you have listed above, but I find my early burns are almost the same as regular DVD with a very quick deterioration, increasing total numbers and PIE levels. I generally find that the PIE stays around 50 to 100 with the PIF jumping up at the edge of the disc into the yellow zone. More than any other discs, these depend on the read ability of the player.

While you can get excellent scans with RW media, you can often get what would look like very marginal scans, especially after multiple rewrites (or even on the first rewrite). RW media is not really intended for long term storage though, so to me how a RW disc scans is less important vs +R/-R media. While I have left data on some RWs for 1-2 years+ without problems, I would stick to write-once media for critical long-term data.

I know I didn’t really answer your question, but my comments go back to what the main purposes of a quality scan is for to me, for checking stability over an extended period of time, comparing burn quality with different burners, etc. And for media that should be used mainly for shorter-term storage, I’m less interested in the quality scan than I am interested in if the disc reads fine in a simple transfer rate test.

If I had to answer the question though :stuck_out_tongue: , I’m much less picky about a RW disc’s quality scan than I am for write-once +R/-R media. Even a ‘marginal’ scan, which I often see with RW media, is ok by me as long as the disc is readable because I don’t really intend to use RW media for critical data and/or long-term storage as I mention above. A disc with 50,000 PIFs may be a scary thought if I was hoping for the disc to last for years, but 50,000 PIFs on a RW that’ll probably get reburned within a few weeks anyway would not be a big deal to me (assuming a fully readable disc and evenly distributed errors).

One thing that I do use quality scans for with RW media though, is if the disc is wearing out and getting to the point that it should probably not be used any more. Large densities of errors at lower levels are fine by me with RW, but if the errors start getting very high then I take that as a sign that the media’s probably getting worn out (though a full format of the disc might be something to try at that point).

I agree. :iagree:

My Verbatim 4x DVD+RW (MKMA02) have very dodgy scans even on the first write. My best scan of these have a maximum PIF=6 but most have 2-4 times as high PIF! They are still readable however, with a few exceptions.

As long as the RW can be read back without major problems I am happy. I wouldn’t even bother with scanning it. Even a good scan can’t guarantee it will work on a fussy player etc. Especially since it’s a RW :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting replies so far…I’ve found that the TDK’s tend to burn better in the BenQ (certainly on the initial burn) than the Verbs which surprised me.

Even though I tend to put ‘watch once’ items onto RWs I do still check discs from time to time partly because I have a lot of them (probably around 100), plus I switch drives between different external enclosures and my original Xbox’s Philips drive is prone to pickyness.

I burn considerably more RWs than anything else so it’s reasonably important to me to keep tabs. Quite often I’ll use Quick Scan to get a flavour of the burn/condition. If I don’t like it then I’ll use it in Panny DVD Recorder.

I have found that DVDShrink will also do a quick run through and spots any gross errors. Even if these eventually won’t play on a player, there is usually the backup plan of re-ripping and burning again. I have done a [I]lot[/I] of that in the past when I was trying out different brands. Lots of land fill.