General consensus on 1633s - CS0R or older firmware?

I keep reading various posts that have differing opinions. Some go back to BS0S, others change to BS0Y. Some use the Lite-On stock and others use Codeking Guys repackaged stuff.

I’ve been using their CS0P with decent results. Should I move to BS0Y or CS0R? If I do upgrade to CS0R from CS0P, is it just a matter of flashing the CS0P exe file?

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1653S

Are there any solid instructions for flashing backwards in case I’m not happy with CS0R?

I really don’t mind saying, now, this drive SUCKS. I have never seen a drive so picky about media. I am using CS0P but I have tried others and all I can say is “I enjoy my CDr burner!”. I mean the drive all of the sudden out of the blue one day decided to not read DVD9’s anymore! I just tried some Memorex +RW (since writing anything -R is a waste of discs) and the disc wouldn’t even verify after the write. Tried inserting it into my LiteOn DVD-ROM drive and it just flashed.

@ WiltonParmenter

Currently I’m trying BS0Y, just to see how it performs compared to BS0S. Personally I think it’s a fine mature firmware that performs well to 8x. But expect no higher speeds of a 1633/1653 drive, without losing quality. BS0Y lacks the mediacodes of more recent media, it has just as many mediacodes as BS0S had. So the next one to try for me is CS0T. My drive did not like CSTJ, CS0K and CS0M, but performed well with CS0P and CS0R. I always use the firmware from the codeguys, patch it in OmniPatcher (crossflash and multicolor-led) and save it. As I patch it with CF I can always use it to return to an older firmware.

@ The Diggler

I know the limitations of my drive, I know it’s not the best performing drive in the world, but I’m very happy with it. I prefer to backup musicconcerts and I enjoy every backup I made up until now, without any form of freezing or pixelation. So my drive ‘don’t SUCK’. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion of course, but I don’t think your reply was the answer to the question of WiltonParmenter.

:flower: Leo

Thanks for responding.

1. Why are you trying BS0Y and CS0T if you were satisfied with CS0P and CS0R? Would it be just to get some comparison scans with different media?
    Isn’t CS0T just a stock firmware for the 1653?

2. If I’m upgrading from CS0P to CS0R, would I need to patch it in Omnipatcher if the file already states that it’s patched and crossflashed.

I’m not certain that I fully understand this patching and crossflashing yet.

You of course are right, my apologise to you and WP. Just venting a bit of frustration and did not mean to hijack WP’s thread. When you answer WP’s last post could you also tell me what media you use. Are you using +R or -R and which brand/media codes…

Thanks

After loading the Codeguys CS0R patched and crossflashed exe into the latest version of the Omnipatcher, I saw the reason for patching. If you want to change some write strategies, speeds, or a few other features, you save the file and flash that one.

That said, how do you know whether to change the write strategy of a particular brand of media to that of another? Do you base it on someone else’s experience by their post to a forum?

Always looking for perfection. The recent firmwares are much better (and support more media) then BS0C where I started with (an immediate coaster on RitekR02). What do you mean by “just a stock firmware for the 1653”. CS0R is, and all other CS…

1. If I’m upgrading from CS0P to CS0R, would I need to patch it in Omnipatcher if the file already states that it’s patched and crossflashed.

No, you can use them right away. But as you can see, the new firmwares are only available “stock”. So I patch them myself, for crossflashing and the red led while burning.

I’m not certain that I fully understand this patching and crossflashing yet.

Crossflashing (or flashfix) is nescessary to make it possible to use the firmwares from the 1653 in the 1633. Patching is finetuning the firmware, for instance to make the led behave differently, but also to change read speeds or even write speeds. You can learn a lot of these things when you read the sticky thread about the OmniPatcher.

I try to use good media, such as Tayio Yuden, MCC and Ricoh. But it’s not always clear which manufacturer it is. To my surprise a batch of Moser Baer India -R dvd’s turned out to be perfect. Normally I use +R, booktyped to DVD-ROM. Last spindle of 10 I use was Traxdata/RitekR03, turned out to be not bad. As I never exceed te speed of 8x, I don’t buy 16 speed disks.

:wink: Leo

WiltonParmenter, crossposting is against our rules. Please read our rules before posting further. :cop:

Your posts have been removed from the other thread.

First of all, I tried to post messages which contained slightly different variables.
One message was for a thread already created, and I asked a similar question and a different one in the other one.

Secondly, I understand the rule vis a vis not server space and repetition, but I personally find it useful when doing a search and finding as many suggestions as possible.

It wasn’t until my fourth or fifth post until Idw kindly answered my question about upgrading from CS0R to CS0P.

Do you suggest creating a new thread or bumping up a somewhat older thread when there’s a related question that hasn’t been answered in it?

Sorry, it’s LDW. That are my initials.
It was after I answered your post that I saw your second post and replied immediately not to crosspost. You’re allowed to post on this thread though if you know and respect the rules and may ask anything you like. It’s a correction, not an attack!
I hope my answer this morning (local time 5:19 am) was clear enough. I was in a hurry because I had to go to work (just made it in time). If not, let me know.

:flower: Leo

It was an excellent answer. I’m still not clear on the bitsetting and booktypes, although I’m getting there. Read strategies are also somewhat of a mystery to me at this point.

If I wanted to change from CS0R to BS0Y stock, do I just flash or do I have to erase the present firmware? I’m a little uncertain of this.

I did the upgrade to CS0R and just had an excellent scan with CMC Mag E01, so I’m not sure I want to test BS0Y at this point.

Here’s the link if you’re interested:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=161496

I personally would not go to BS0Y.
The tests I ran with the media I use showed it to burn worse than its predecessor, BS0S.
If you are happy with CS0R then stay with it.
Only flash if you are getting bad scans with your particular media - if everything is good then it would be best to leave it alone.

@ WiltonParmenter

I never changed write (read?) strategies, so I cannot advise you on that sublect. The only thing I changed on the read speeds is lower the max. read speed in the first box to 12x. I don’t like the noise of 16 speed.
If you want to change to BS0Y, you probably can flash the firmware from the CodeGuys without patching, I think they flashfixed them already. To be sure I always load it in OmniPatcher and check “crossflash-fix the dead drive blink”, then it certainly works. By flashing the new firmware automatically the old one is erased.
I tried BS0Y and I think it’s pretty much the same as BS0S. I don’t think there is much to gain leaving CS0R. Today I flashed CS0T, I’m curious how that one will behave in my drive.
One think I would like to advise to you. Use the EEPROM-utility to make two backups of your EEPROM (one on your computer, one on floppy or cd-rom). Every drive has his own calibration data flashed in the EEPROM, and when they should get lost (could happen f.i. when you flash the wrong drive) the backups are the life-insurance of your drive.
Up to bed now. Tomorrow there is an 8 meter long offsetpress and about 50,000 sheets of paper waiting for me…

:bigsmile: Leo

Based on the scans I saw in the firmware forum, CS0T doesn’t look too promising.

Should the EEProm backup be done as soon before changing the old firmware AND another one as you load the new firmware? Can I backup the EEProm after a few burned discs?

I saw some good results, so that why I wrote “curious how it behaves in my drive”. I can always go back to CS0R.

Should the EEProm backup be done as soon before changing the old firmware AND another one as you load the new firmware? Can I backup the EEProm after a few burned discs?
Makes no difference as life-insurance, one copy is enough (two copies on different locations is important only as extra safety). As the EEPROM stores the learned data too, it’s wise to save a copy belonging to each firmware. When I return to BS0S for example, I restore the EEPROM belonging to that firmware with the learned media-data in it. Works like a charm.

:iagree: Leo

Hmmm. Are you saying that the firmware improves its burns as it “learns” write strategies with each successive try at a similarly coded disk?

Yes, LiteOn drives are learning to improve the quality of the burn on every mediacode. The optimal result should be the 4th or 5th burn. But sometimes, with very bad media, it could be the other way round. It’s getting worse every burn. That’s why the CodeGuys implemented “Reset learnt media” in the EEPROM-utility. I have to use that function with Fake TY Hyundai media, my daughter has still some left of a stack of 50. But before I do that, I backup the EEPROM with the learnt media data in it. After using such a dvd I restore the EEPROM with that backup. I have backups of all different firmwares I have flashed since BS0S.

:clap: Leo

Great advice. The next question would be when do you do your “master” EEprom backup? Would it be after you’ve burnt about 10 disks each of various media codes? This would mean you have two backups.

One would be an original backup when you first installed the firmware (for restoring when you’re getting bad burns of a particular media), and

the other would be the “learnt media” backup (for restoring back after you restored the original EEprom (above) to account for bad burns on certain media). I hope that’s not too confusing.

Another question - If one wants to flash back, do you reload the firmware (say CS0P) and then restore the EEprom for it that was backed up?

@ WiltonParmenter

After 4-5 burns the results should be optimal. Maybe I was not clear enough, but I keep backups for safety on a safe place, and it does’nt matter with what firmwaredata or learnt media it is. Besides that, I have a number of copies with learnt data wich I use in cases I described, when I have to clear the learnt data. But one copy per family is enough (one for BS0x, one for CSxx). But it’s certainly not the meaning to flash your EEPROM before every burn!
One example: I tried BS0Y the other day. I used the latest BS0S copy in the EEPROM. Now I am using CS0T. I flashed the latest copy of CS0R in the EEPROM. That’s enough and works fine.

:smiley: Leo

Sorry but you confused me again. Are you saying that after you upgraded to CS0T, you are using an EEProm from CS0R, and BS0S for BS0Y?

I thought that when one upgrades to new firmware, the EEProm is clean and you start from scratch. You can mix firmware flashes with old EEProms?