General advice when using Anydvd 5.9.5.3 + Nero Recode 2.2.8.5

vbimport

If you are having problems importing a dvd, then

1. try using your burner to import the disc, and

2. uncheck “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” in Anydvd’s DVD tab (under “Feature Removal”).

What is “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors”?

Arccoss is one example. If you want further information beyond what I’m posting here, perhaps someone else will assist you. I’m not going to get into further detail.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS (not that I advocate using wiki definitions as a reference, but this will suffice)

“ARccOS is an encryption system developed by Sony used on some DVDs. Designed as an form additional copy protection, it is used in conjunction with Content-scrambling system (CSS). The system deliberately creates a number of sectors on the DVD with corrupted data that causes DVD copying software to produce errors. Normal DVD players do not ever read these sectors since they follow a set of instructions encoded on the disc telling them skip it. Less sophisticated DVD ripping programs do not follow these instructions but try to read every sector on the disk sequentially, including the bad ones.”

Anyway, checking off “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” in Anydvd’s DVD tab (under “Feature Removal”) works well when using Shrink, but, in my experience, very poorly, so far, when using Recode.

My findings have been, so far, when using Recode 2.2.8.5 with Arccos, Puppetlock titles are that “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” should be enabled. Examples include Region 1 of The Cave and The Legend of Zorro.

When using Recode 2.2.8.5 with Macrovision RipGuard protected titles, such as Region 1 Flightplan and The Chronicles of Narnia, “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” should be disabled.

You can find the type of protection used under the “Information” screen in Anydvd.

Actually, the only time I’ve had to disable “Copy Protection Based on Structural Errors” when using Recode 2.2.8.5 has been with Macrovision RipGuard protected titles, so far.

Webslinger for example when you disable the “copy protection Based on Structural Errors” how is Recode able to to copy the movie without getting hung up?

Webslinger for example when you disable the “copy protection Based on Structural Errors” how is Recode able to to copy the movie without getting hung up?

I don’t know. I didn’t create Nero Recode 2.2.8.5. If you don’t disable “copy protection based on structural errors” in Anydvd when attempting to backup RipGuard protected titles (this only applies to “Macrovision RipGuard” protected titles so far), Recode will give you error messages when you attempt to import.

Same goes if you use dvd decrypter too.

Webslinger so I just want to make sure I understand on Ripguard movies when using recode and you need to disable copy protection based on structural errors. You have had sucess in ripping the movie and with no hang ups.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This problem will be fixed in the next AnyDVD update, to be released soon.
Disabling “copy protection based on structural errors” does not really help, as Recode will not be able to make a working copy without this option enabled.

I’ve had success importing the disc into Recode. After it’s finished importing (and without exiting Recode), I renabled “copy protection based on unreadable sectors” in Anydvd 5.9.5.6 before ripping. Granted, I haven’t tested the rip, but I didn’t receive any errors while Nero was recode was compiling the dvd volume.

Errr, I forgot to mention I renabled that option in Anydvd 5.9.5.6 after importing (and without exiting Recode) and immediately before hitting “Next”. I didn’t test the rip, but as I didn’t receive any error messages while Recode was compiling the DVD volume (after clicking the “burn” button), I didn’t feel the need to do any further testing. Perhaps I should have.

You shouldn’t, as far as I can tell, have to disable that feature in Anydvd 5.9.5.6 with decrypter. This Ripguard issue seems to be specific to Recode (and only when importing).

When importing, yes . . .

You have had sucess in ripping the movie and with no hang ups.

After importing, you must reselect the option to disable “copy protection based on structural errors” in Anydvd 5.9.5.6" before clicking 'Next" in Recode.

As an update, I just attempted to play the ripped Narnia files Recode 2.2.8.5 created, and the movie appeared to play without any issues.

So, yes, I have had success. And I see no reason why you can’t as well.