GCA-4080n always burns slow

vbimport

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N burner in my Compaq R4000 laptop under XP SP2 (basic specs below). With all the media I have burnt recently the drive seems to run more slowly than it should, it is supposed to be 8x speed but it takes about 15 mins to record a full 4.38GB image.

I’ve tried burning in Nero and Alcohol 120%. Nero simply reports 8x writing but takes 15mins to do it. Alcohol gives a “Illegal speed 8.0X (11080 KB/Sec) for this medium” error at the start of recording. I’ve tried a number of 8x and 16x +R and -R media recently and have had the same trouble with all. (The full media info from Alcohol is given below for my 16x -R Verbatim media.)

The write speed graph for Alcohol is given below, it shows a step shape as the drive speed steps up from 2x to 4, 6 and then 8 towards the very end. I’m sure the drive used to burn much faster than this when I first got it. Is the problem just my newer media? I believe I have the latest firmware, mine is 0C35. Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem?

I’ve attached the log from alcohol 120% along with the speed graph, the drive info and disc info. Here they are:

####################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
11:30:56 Processor info: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3200+ (999MHz)
11:30:56 Memory Available to Windows: 522,736 KB
11:30:56 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
11:30:57 Image file loading: C:\BILLBAILEY.ISO
11:30:57 DVD Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 3.78 GB / 439:54:37
11:31:23 (D:) HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N(1:0): Recording Method/Speed
11:31:23 Illegal speed 8.0X (11080 KB/Sec) for this medium, running on 2.0X (2770 KB/Sec)
11:31:23 Recording - DVD DAO - 2.0X (2770 KB/Sec)
(D:) HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N(1:0) - Media format: DVD-R
11:43:14 Image file loading completed!
11:43:41 (D:) HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N(1:0): Recording completed successfully!
11:43:41 Elapsed Time: 00:12:17, Average speed: 4.0X
11:43:43 All recording procedures have been completed!
11:43:43 Elapsed Time: 00:12:44
##############################################################################

Slimtype drives are always slower and this one is not the best one either.

Use high quality media!

Well sure slim type drives are not the best but laptops rarely come with full size drives. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the performance should be higher.

It is not like I am using some obscure no-brand media, I’ve used Verbatim and TDK rated to 16x. Surely the drive ought to be able to write popular media at the proper speed. If those media are no good, what should I be using?

Luke

Hi,

This is a 8x drive?

It is not like I am using some obscure no-brand media, I’ve used Verbatim and TDK rated to 16x. Surely the drive ought to be able to write popular media at the proper speed. If those media are no good, what should I be using?
New 16x media are not built into the firmware (and firmware support for notebook drives is extremely poor), so the drive will use a generic write strategy, that will be 4x or even slower. Solution might be, to get some older 8x media from quality manufacturers like Verbatim or TY.

Michael

Yep.

New 16x media are not built into the firmware (and firmware support for notebook drives is extremely poor), so the drive will use a generic write strategy, that will be 4x or even slower. Solution might be, to get some older 8x media from quality manufacturers like Verbatim or TY.

Ok that explains it, what a pain. My desktop drive is 16x, so I’d rather just buy one type of media. Is there any way to fool the software into using a known 8x strategy with the disks, or is that just asking for trouble?

Luke

Hi,

For some desktop drives, there exists a tool called MCSE, but this requires a firmware file for that drive. I am not sure if that works for you, there is a chance to make things getting worse.

Safest way is really getting older media for that drive, possibly they are on sale at some shops (they want to get rid of them :wink: )

Michael

If you want to know for sure if those Verbatim 16x DVD-R discs are not supported at 8x, just download a copy of DVDIdentifier (http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com). It’s freeware. Place one of those Verbatim discs into the drive (blank or already used, it doesn’t matter), start DVDIdentifier and use it to query the media. It will show you the supported write speeds for those discs on your writer.