GBW-H20L & PowerDVD Plays Blu-Ray Movies On Non-HDCP Monitor

vbimport

Last night, I was able to watch Batman Begin Blu-ray on my 30" Apple monitor even though the monitor isn’t HDCP compliant. I used the PowerDVD software that came on the installation disc, my video card is an ATI 4870, which does support HDCP, and monitor and video card are connected through the DVI plug. I think the drive has the latest firmware out of the box because the firmware update tool didn’t find anything.

I thought every element of the chain had to support HDCP? I was so sure that when I first installed the drive in my computer, I didn’t even bother to test it, I just installed AnyDVD immediately. But yesterday, I did a clean reinstall of Vista 64-bit and just on a whim, put the movie into the drive before installing AnyDVD and the movie played. I have not upgraded the software suite. There’s a ACTIVATE button on the menu screen but I haven’t pressed it and the software works fine.

That’s strange. Please check with Cyberlink BD Advisor and see if they are all green. http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/blu-ray_support/diagnosis.jsp

Let us know!

I ran the Blu-ray Disc Advisor and it gives a green light for my video connection type. It’s listed as “Digital (with HDCP).” This is very surprising and odd: the 30" Apple Cinema Display is not publicly spec’ed to support HDCP. I got the monitor in December 2007. Is it possible that Apple quietly updated the monitor to support HDCP without telling anyone?! Whatever is going on, I’m not complaining!

True, there’s no reference that can confirm 30" Apple Cinema supports HDCP. Maybe you’re just lucky. :wink:

Is it possible that the HDCP spec hasn’t been turned on yet or that some movies play without it? I know that doesn’t sound likely since the BD Advisor analyzes the hardware, not the movie, but I’m just throwing out possibilities. It wouldn’t be surprised if Apple had updated their monitor without saying anything but even for Apple, you’d think it would publicize something like HDCP support. Anyone also have an Apple 30" monitor that can corroborate or refute my own experience?

The Apple 30" does not support HDCP.

It is a dual-link monitor and HDCP cannot work on dual-link monitors.

I guess if you ran it at 1920x1200 (single link) it would be possible for it to support HDCP. But I’m pretty sure it still doesn’t.

[QUOTE=happyscrappy;2107087]The Apple 30" does not support HDCP.

It is a dual-link monitor and HDCP cannot work on dual-link monitors.

I guess if you ran it at 1920x1200 (single link) it would be possible for it to support HDCP. But I’m pretty sure it still doesn’t.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is no longer the case. Newer video cards do support HDCP over dual-link. See the 6th paragraph of Anandtech’s review of the Nvidia 8600 and 8500 series cards, which states explicitly that the cards support HDCP over dual-link:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2970&p=3

ATI cards have supported this feature since the Radeon 2000 series. My card is a Radeon 4870 and it supports HDCP over dual-link:

Aside from the above links, my own experience also demonstrates that newer cards work with dual-link. I don’t have to change my monitor to 1920x1200 resolution.

I can post screenshots of my Apple 30" display playing a Blu-ray movie or with BD Advisor showing that it detects the monitor as HDCP compliant. I know Apple’s specs say nothing about HDCP support so I can understand the skepticism. I don’t know if it’s some loophole caused by my combination of 30" display/video card/BD drive but the bottom line is, Blu-ray movies play. I’ve since tried it with a bunch of Blu-ray titles and every single one of them played using just PowerDVD from the drive’s installation disc.