Gartner: piece of tape defeats any CD DRM

I just posted the article Gartner: piece of tape defeats any CD DRM.

RTV71 used our news submit to tell us “I’m waiting for RIAA to propose making tape illegal.” The
report from Vnunet.com quotes the analyst firm
Gartner, stating that the obscuring of the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11158-Gartner-piece-of-tape-defeats-any-CD-DRM.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11158-Gartner-piece-of-tape-defeats-any-CD-DRM.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

ScotchGuard your CDs against messy DRM! ROTFL!:g:+:p:B

This is in some kind the same trick they had for CDS200 with that stift. Uhm btw. In the previous version je saw a ring which was the difference between de audio track and the data track. They simply removed the ring to prevent users from seeing the ring to distinguish the difference between the data track and the audio tracks. I fount oud when using a loop you still could see that ring, but much smaller, at the end of the audio session :P. and bingo.

Wouldnt blacking that part with a magic marker acheive the same results?

RIAA --> DOH!! (Homer style)…:d

Gartner subpoenaed for conflict of interest, telling tape trick to masses, and being major stockholder in scotch tape company. Sends music industry spiraling into bankruptcy claims to the press. First4internet exec dives from second story office window in suicide attempt.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 22.11.2005 02:59]

The tape (or Sharpie) trick is only simple on CD-Extra discs - that is the ones that have the data track at the outer edge of the disc. It is possible (and is often done with PC games) to put the data on audio track one at the centre of the disc (mixed-mode). The discs, when played in a standard CD player, will be silent for track one and play normally from track two onwards. A computer, of course, has no problem reading (and autorunning) the data track. While you can still cover up the track, you run the risk of covering up the TOC, rendering the disc unplayable. Fortunately they are unlikely to make CDs like this because some standard CD players have trouble playing them.

yup, i’m surprise the riaa, hasn’t tried to really push for a new format, because cd’s have been around so long, that alot of equipment couldn’t handle certain DRM’s. they basically have to add it on as extra, and somebody has to have their computer on, with autoinsert on for it to install. i don’t even see the point of DRM’ing cd’s. MP3 versions show up on the 'net a few weeks before the cd is in the store. If you can’t copy the cd, all you have to do is download it. i can’t believe record companies waste all the many developing this stuff.