Gartner numbers show you need a magnifying glass to find Windows Phone users

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Gartner numbers show you need a magnifying glass to find Windows Phone users[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/05/myce-windows-phone-10-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Smartphones running Microsoft’s mobile operating system, Windows Phone, continue to decrease in popularity. The latest sales numbers disappoint again and the market share of the OS is nowhere to be seen compared to Android and iOS.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/gartner-numbers-show-need-magnifying-glass-find-windows-phone-users-79470/](http://www.myce.com/news/gartner-numbers-show-need-magnifying-glass-find-windows-phone-users-79470/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

How should I attack this? Self inflicted?

They nearly had it with Windows Mobile back in the day. Then they screwed up with incompatibility. Changing the API over and over is of course nothing a programmer like to cope with as it means rewriting the codebase the same amount of time and so if they must change it, it may be to any format API. Microsoft forgot that bit and while they struggled, Android (mostly) got the benefit of pissed off programmers.

Oh well… Where you are, well there you are… even for M$ I guess :slight_smile:

My biggest complaint is that they took a good mobile phone manufacturer and turned them into dust. I had Nokia phones for years and found them well featured and reliable. I hope they come back into the market with their own, or an Android, OS.

gone through Mobile 8 8.1 and 10 on low end lumias…its gotten almost impossible to find MS lumias in stores in US at this moment. People in stores have said it looks like alot of phones have been discontinued. So if you can find Lumia 640 grab them up $29 if you can find them

Microsoft make all this fuss about the Universal Windows Platform and apps that work on phones as well as they do tablets and the desktop, and then effectively let the phones die off. Not a great advert for those looking at making UWP apps.

Microsoft fans seem to think a Surface phone will be the savior but can the phone go from effectively zero (yet again) to really competitive? They’ve tried this enough times to know it isn’t likely to work. Perhaps they should just give up while they’re behind and concentrate on other areas…

@UTR: The Elopcalypse everyone predicted. They needed to hire more engineers and less lawyers.

I have both a Windows 10 phone and an Android phone (running 6.0). I like the Windows phone far more than the Android phone, but I use the Android phone because my bank only has a mobile app for Android (no Apple either). Other than phone calls, texting, Email, and maps once in a while for directions, that banking app is the only app I use that isn’t just for entertainment. So that one app is the only reason I’m using Android, and I doubt I’m the only Android user whose not using it by choice. (Yes, I know Android usage blows Windows out of the water on phones, but it would be interesting to see how different that comparison would be if companies that released productivity apps released them in both Android and Windows versions.)

@BradWright
I think you are right in your views, but it so happens that Android has the edge when it comes to the number of apps available, and where the apps are, so are the users.

If we look at it from the desktop’s point of view, ‘everyone’ knows that Windows is the place to be and even though I personally try as hard as I can to transit to Linux, I can not quite seem to make it without Windows. The reason: freedom of choice in vast program availability (of course combined with the segment I work in).
I think the same holds true for Android and so the Surface phone will have ‘more than enough’ to prove to win users over in this respect, sadly.

:flower:

As far as I can tell, Microsoft has never really been able to compete in hand-held devices. They couldn’t compete with PalmOS back in the PDA days, they couldn’t compete with the iPod with their Zunes, they couldn’t compete with BlackBerry when smart phones were new, and now they can’t compete with Android or IOS. If something new becomes mainstream (perhaps something similar to Google Glasses?), Microsoft will probably try to compete with it, and will probably fail. Let’s face it: when it comes to anything smaller than a laptop, Microsoft’s operating systems always fall short.