Gaming pc help

vbimport

Hi, would love some input if anyone wants to help. My father asked me to build a gaming computer for him for around $1,500. I’ve only built one in the past and that was for myself. I will post what i have in mind now and please help me make any changes that could work better. thanks

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 (tigerdirect)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (directron)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Intel Z68 Board (tigerdirect)

Ram: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin (newegg)

HDD: Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6G, 64MB Cache (tigerdirect)

DVD: Lite-ON iHAP222-06 DVD Burner (tigerdirect)

Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX or Cooler Master HAF 932 not sure if he would prefer mid or full tower (directron)

Power: Apevia ATX-WA750W Warlock 750-Watt ATX Power Supply (tigerdirect)

windows 7

thanks again for looking this over and helping in any way. he wants to know if he can get a better deal out of building from scratch or just buying something.

I would certainly consider a different power supply. System stability starts with a good quality PSU.
You may consider an Antec modular PSU such as the True Power 750. I personally rate this PSU very highly. It’s quiet and very stable.
http://www.directron.com/tp750.html?_s_icmp=filter

You could also consider a 650W PSU which should be more than enough to power your proposed system.

http://www.doghousesystems.com/v/systems.asp

Awesome! $1500 is a good budget for a gaming build.

So like Dee was saying that PSU should be avoided. :slight_smile:

I would also advise to not use the 2600k CPU for a gaming build, the additional money would be better spent on a better video card. Games unfortunately are not optimized for multiple cores and threads, they would only use around ~40% of what that CPU can do. A fast dual core would be good but the price difference between a fast dual core and 2500k is small and the 2500k is very overclockable.

So this build suggestion is from newegg, its $1400, and there is a $20 discount code for the HDD “EMCNHNC42”. The video card is upgraded, the PSU is super efficient and modular, there is a super fast 90GB SSD for the OS and programs. The 2TB drive is for storage but if he has a lot of games he can install them on that drive too. There are a lot of tricks and tweaks to make Win7 smaller after installing, on thing is to turn off Hibernation. You will want to do some of those things because windows can balloon to 25GB and that eats a lot of that 90GB SSD, win7 can be trimmed down to ~7GB.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

FSP Group AURUM GOLD 650W (AU-650M) ATX12V/EPS12V Modular Flat Cable

GIGABYTE GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 GeForce GTX 570

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F90GBGT-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

[QUOTE=Eacer;2621776]Hi, would love some input if anyone wants to help. My father asked me to build a gaming computer for him for around $1,500. I’ve only built one in the past and that was for myself. I will post what i have in mind now and please help me make any changes that could work better. thanks

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 (tigerdirect)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (directron)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Intel Z68 Board (tigerdirect)

Ram: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin (newegg)

HDD: Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6G, 64MB Cache (tigerdirect)

DVD: Lite-ON iHAP222-06 DVD Burner (tigerdirect)

Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX or Cooler Master HAF 932 not sure if he would prefer mid or full tower (directron)

Power: Apevia ATX-WA750W Warlock 750-Watt ATX Power Supply (tigerdirect)

windows 7

thanks again for looking this over and helping in any way. he wants to know if he can get a better deal out of building from scratch or just buying something.[/QUOTE]

It’s good you told your spending $1500 but could you tell us what each components your looking at cost where you are so those looking can add the price and figure what you could change or update with that will keep you within that $1500 range your looking at??

Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO ---->+/- 200$
Intel Core i7-3930K -----> +/- 600$ newegg
consider the right memory for these board my choice Kingston
and like Dee said a quality PSU is important that means it should be single rail. my choice Crosair TX series afordable!

[QUOTE=macnavarra;2621940]Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO ---->+/- 200$
Intel Core i7-3930K -----> +/- 600$ newegg
consider the right memory for these board my choice Kingston
and like Dee said a quality PSU is important that means it should be single rail. my choice Crosair TX series afordable![/QUOTE]

Buying overpriced new technology does help his budget :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2621928]It’s good you told your spending $1500 but could you tell us what each components your looking at cost where you are so those looking can add the price and figure what you could change or update with that will keep you within that $1500 range your looking at??[/QUOTE]

sure, Live in Memphis Tn and here are the prices for everything i originally decided on.

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 (tigerdirect) 229.99

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (directron) 319.99

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Intel Z68 Board (tigerdirect) 219.99

Ram: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin (newegg) 39.99

HDD: Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6G, 64MB Cache (tigerdirect) 229.99

DVD: Lite-ON iHAP222-06 DVD Burner (tigerdirect) 29.99

Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX or Cooler Master HAF 932 not sure if he would prefer mid or full tower (directron) 135.89

Power: Apevia ATX-WA750W Warlock 750-Watt ATX Power Supply (tigerdirect) 79.99

windows 7 99.99

Do you have any thoughts on the build I suggested?

Did the $1500 include the monitor?

That Seagate drive in your list is a previous gen drive. The latest has 1TB platters, so for example the HDD in your list probably has 3 platters, the latest has 2. You can get the 3TB drive at newegg for like ~$160-180, it pops in and out of stock (as well as the better price). Over the next 3-4 months the price of HDD’s should fall into a more reasonable range as supply/demand begins to level things out.

edit: This is the link for the 3tb 3-platter drive, its current ~$270, but for whatever reason they cycle the price to ~$160. Link. A lot of people are buying drives in external enclosures and then removing the drive because its cheaper. This does void the warranty with the company that supplied the unit, but the drive inside the case usually has its own warranty with Seagate.

Once prices get under control again the 3TB HDD should be less than $120.

Ohhh, I see your in TN, so thats why you don’t want to use newegg, taxes!

sorry for delay, he decided against the idea of me building it for him… he said it would be too much hassle with all the separate components having a different warranty, he found some site that you pick all the components from a list and they build it for you and then any problems are handled through them.
I really want to thank you all for your help though, and it will still be useful cause I’m hopefully going to be able to afford building another one soon.