Gaming Computer Help

vbimport

Hey im looking to build my first gaming computer but have no idea where to start… i have gone through alot of guides on how to put a computer togather… so i think i can do it… the only problem is parts… i have no idea what to get…

I am thinking of going AMD cause from what ive read so far it runs faster then Intel for gaming and thats pretty much all im gonna use it for.

I have about 1500 - 2000 dollars Canadian to play around with and i want it to run games like Assassins Creed, Aion ( when its released ) and CoD4… at maximum specs

Only downside is im not really familiar with overclocking… but i would be willing to browse guides on how to do it and i would like this system to last me awhile

As much as it pains me to say, but Intel is the performance leader currently. ATI HD4870 or 4870X2 for the graphics, and an Intel chipset motherboard with an Intel quad core and 4GB of memory. A minimum 500gb hard drive, 600-700 watt reputable branded power supply, case, and of course an optical drive or 2. Assembly is easy of long as you read the manuals and follow the instructions.

My mate had one built recently with an intel Q6600 and asus board (sorry can’t remember model), Geil EvoOne 4GB DDR2, Nvidia 8800GT, Thermal Take 650 PSU and 1TB hard drive for about £800 with a 20" monitor, this was without windows, so with that on to, should be in your budget.
It runs great, and maybe like the sort of thing you are looking for.
Never been a fan of overclocking, so from a personal point of view wouldn’t bother, providing you have a decent system you shouldn’t need it.

Hi Apocalyptic, welcome to clubCDfreaks :slight_smile:

Well as you’ve heard, intel is the current performance leader, they make some reall good chips that can OC like crazy. But if you prefer AMD we can help build you a system around them. What other stores up in canada would you buy from (online) other than ncix? We’ll see what we can put together.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2116143]Hi Apocalyptic, welcome to clubCDfreaks :slight_smile:

Well as you’ve heard, intel is the current performance leader, they make some reall good chips that can OC like crazy. But if you prefer AMD we can help build you a system around them. What other stores up in canada would you buy from (online) other than ncix? We’ll see what we can put together.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem using online stores and was thinking of using Newegg cause they are currently branching into a Newegg.ca but i also dont mind using United States online distributers either as our dollar is pretty close to it

and thx for the welcome XD

Are they able to ship duty free? to Canada. Currently their CA site is not running yet.

Here’s a system. The X38 chipset will let you run crossfire with the 4870 card, and DFI is really good for overclocking, not to mention sexy. For now get one 4870, when the price drops and you want a boost go for a second. The E8400 is a good gaming choice that can easily OC to 4.0Ghz. The sunbeam cpu cooler has beaten the thermalright Ultra 120 in both coolness and noise. Your OS choice is up to you, I put Vista 64-bit in there. 4 gigs of ram is pretty standard on new systems now. The below total is $1360CAD, it needs a monitor and keyboard/mouse. 640 gigs for a HDD is a good place to start and by the time you fill that up 1TB HDD’s will be available for $100 :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: this is from ncix.com

There is a 30$ rebate on the above corsair PSU. If you don’t want to bother with a rebate an equally if not better PSU The Seasonic 650W is on sale for 130$.

Apparently its not in stock and ncix has some shaddy way of showing the sale price, but says that the discount is only for limited quantities.

now all i need is a case and it looks great… now would this run just as good as an Intel cpu? or will AMD end up coming on top again in the future?

IMO DFI isn’t the best choice since they’re not very beginner friendly, personally I’d probably go with either a gigabyte or biostar p35/x38

Apocalyptic, the Antec 900 case is included in the list, its got a ton of fans and is very popular.
Forgot to add CD/dvd burner, Pioneer DVR 216DBK SATA burner

jwill427, I’d have to disagree. All bioses need some configuring to get max speed/stability as well as just to be setup. I’m using the DFI blood iron and I think its great.

If you have thoughts of overclocking, then you’ll need to check some cooler reviews - the stock CPU cooler just doesn’t cut it for anything more than the most marginal push.

Basic overclocking (Intel) would be taking an 800FSB processor to 1066, a 1066 to 1333, or a 1333 to 1600 - most of the time, that will be possible without heroic voltage and cooling.

Oh yeah, stock cooler for the 45nm cpus is really small and not suitable for OC’ing. Thats why he’s going to get the Sunbeamtech core contact freezer, at low fan speed its quiet and cool and at high fan speed it kicks butt.

Hey Apocalyptic, there is a slightly different version of the DFI board available, it looks like an update Link, maybe you can check out the online CA retailers to see if someone has it. At newegg they are the same price, I would get the newer one with all the copper bling.