Games don't work after XP reinstall on Dell machine

vbimport

:(I recently had to re-install windows on my computer (windows xp), because of an internet problem. Anyway after all of that now when i try to install games the games wont work install or the wont play some of them do but not all and ive had them all on before and they ran fine… one of the error messeges i get is:

Feature Transfer Error

Feature: USA_BUILD
Compenet: _common
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: Incorrect Function

and for the part above i also get for the error part : (cyclic redundancy check)

i also had windows shutdown with the the driver ialmrnt5 stopped and got stuck in a loop PLEASE HELP !!! or tell me who to contact because dell says its a game problem and the game company says its a dell problem or intel so please help !!!

ps : i hate computers!!! :frowning: :iagree:

Welcome to CD Freaks, SoloChick. :slight_smile:

Did you install XP Service Pack 2, after the basic XP install?

yup

OK is this a complete reinstall from scratch, or a ‘repair’ reinstall…

complete reinstall from disk

…and all the drivers for your sound and video cards etc are from the Dell site?

yea or from disk

…and does XP work fine, before loading the games?

yes

Loading applications other than games works OK?

yes, and some of my games do work older games and also really new games like (sim games) work but the ones that are years inbetween do not.

Hmmm… OK that is strange. I’ve amended your thread title to something a bit more descriptive so hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will look in and help ;).

[B]ialmrnt5[/B] is a file found in Intel’s display driver.
Did you download the latest driver from Intel’s site?
If so. I recall seeing some reports of issues on some setups with this driver. Dell should be able to supply you with an early (more compatible) version from their support website.

well I should have all the same updated as i did befor reinstalling windows.

[QUOTE=SoloChick;1993647]yea or from disk[/QUOTE]

I don’t get what you mean exactly by this comment??? Did you get or have the recovery cd/dvd from Dell or did you request and they sent you the recovery cd/dvd? Also your comment did you download all the need updated from Dell site to a cd/dvd so that you can do a install update after you did a recovery on your Dell??? Your problem is a odd one sounds like drivers didn’t like windows or windows didn’t like something in the game install?? Did you try in uinstall the game and reboot and see what happened to the other working game?? Also when you installed the game did you reboot the computer even though it may ask you to reboot it’s always a safe bet to reboot anything you install anything on windows…Have you installed anyother hardware or software inbetween the game installation???

[QUOTE=SoloChick;1993628]i also had windows shutdown with the the driver ialmrnt5 stopped and got stuck in a loop PLEASE HELP !!! or tell me who to contact because dell says its a game problem and the game company says its a dell problem or intel so please help !!![/QUOTE]

Pretty stupid of Dell, because they have an excellent driver database at www.dell.com

Go to www.dell.com, hover the mouse on support (big blue bubble with white question mark) , click on drivers and downloads.

Then fill in the tag number of your Dell computer (found on a black sticker with white letters somehwere on your Dell computer or behind a grey plastic piece) and follow the instructions.

Then get the latest Intel driver software for your operating system.

what i meant from “yea or from disk” was all the drivers were installed from the disk that i got from the computer when i got it and all of the updates should now be updated because im pretty sure i have all them Also when i contacted dell ( i have gold support whith them) they said they think its a software problem so i contacted the games via email and they said if it was on your computer befor then its defanitly a computer problem not software…

have you downloaded the most current version of directx (9c) ?

yes.

Anytime you get a CRC error, it’s worth running a surface scan on your HDD; sectors go bad from time to time and running the check will mark them as bad and prevent them from being used.

Sláinte

midders