Game Over for AMD...?

Hi guys/gals. :slight_smile:

I’m in stage for an upgrade of my aged Asus P4P800 system soon. Should I put my money on $ntel (again) or wait.
What’s your opinion on this?

Linky, linky.

Note, pic curtesy of tomshardware.com

I think I’d wait, if nothing else the Intel prices should drop some more. I think AMD still has a few tricks up their sleave so we’ll just have to see.

Hi :slight_smile:
Not over yet, have you read about AMD’s AM2 & reverse HT. Things are only just beginning. :bigsmile:

Perhaps you should read this AMD Reverse HT Myth

Surely you jest :eek: Remember when the P4 first came out it was supposed to be game over over for AMD. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
Funny enough I just came across this looking for a link for my previous post. Thanks. I have to confess I was dubious about this unsung feature.

Yes AMD has a lot more tricks up their sleves. For a few years now it’s been Game over for $ntel. What ever $ntel can come up with or bring out AMD will better it everytime :slight_smile:

Get that’s giving you the best performance/price ratio.
If AMD 64 gives you better performance fine, go for it. If Core 2 Duo does… why not?
There’s no point in being a fanboy…
Intel usually have better chipsets than AMD-platforms in general though.
The same is with video cards, sometimes ATi are better than nVidia and next time it may be the other way around.
And there will [B]always[/B] be something that’s going to be better than what’s available at the time of purchase.
//Danne

Well said DiiZzY. :slight_smile:

Yo-

Isn’t there supposed to be sumptin’ big happening next week in the CPU world - that is supposed to have a very dramatic effect on prices-eh?

Not so fast…

If AMD would be no more, what do you think would happen??

There has been reference to a big price drop sometime soon in a couple of the reviews on NewEgg. :cool:

Intel usually have better chipsets than AMD-platforms in general though.

fanboy statement

all the recent uproar about dual core intel has been off a very biased presentation by intel at an exhibition where they controlled everything. the fat lady will sing after
intel finally releases the dual core to independents like tom’s hardware and anandtech.

I have seen Intel lie thru their teeth in the past, and don’t trust them as far as I can throw them

note, a moderator(crossg) should never endorse such a statement

You are quite right but I was actually agreeing with this part of his statment and should have quoted that. My mistake.

Get that’s giving you the best performance/price ratio.
If AMD 64 gives you better performance fine, go for it. If Core 2 Duo does… why not?

Competition between these two is always good for the consumer. I have always had Intel but if the price is right for my needs then AMD will do just fine.:wink:

if the price is right for my needs then AMD will do just fine.

I am glad I waited for dual core.

how in the heck am I ever gonna burn up this amd single core?

Temperatures:
Motherboard 33 °C (91 °F)
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)

it’s already summer and I am overclocking 40%

:sad: :sad:

Everyone was saying exactly the opposite when the first Pentium 4 was released. All websites and individuals seemed to imply that it was the end of Intel. They were all wrong. Who said a Willamette 1.5GHz was going to beat a Thunderbird or Thoroughbred then? AMD was concentrating on K8 meanwhile. Only since when Core 2 performances were released to the public, more and more people are speculating differently.

For more than 10 years, I have heard the same thing over and over. So why is Intel still alive?

My first CPU was an AMD 386 40MHz. Last thing I bought was an AMD Sempron 1600+ (mobile) in a notebook ordered in March. Cheapest things available in each case. That never meant end of Intel.

When Intel introduces a faster processor without raising prices too much, AMD will just offer existing products at much lower prices or introduce their own new technology products at similar or a little lower prices. The two (or three or four or more sometimes) have always done so in the past 10+ years. Would AMD suddenly decide to sell their future quad-core processors with 16MB L2 for US$10 just to kill Intel? Or would such a strategy work at all to anyone’s advantage?

Yo-

Apparently on July 26th there is going to be a major shakeup in the cpu world - and they are saying that on July 27th cpu prices will be dramatically lower-eh!

Exactly my point ! You had a [B]choice [/B]to buy AMD or Intel. What would happen if you didn’t have a choice? You would have to buy Intel or AMD at an inflated price. Every time I brought a CPU I looked for which one had the best performance/price ratio. Brand names don’t mean much it’s which ever one will be the best for what I need it for and is the best value for $$$$.

So dose that make AMD bad or wrong ? Should they be inflating there prices? I always thought competition was good and helped to keep the prices down.

1. Intel gutted L1 on the P4 to compete with K7 after P3 crashed over 1ghz
  2. amd64 kept them in the ballgame as P4 ramped up core frequency
  3. X2 AMD got them back out ahead
  4. dual core P4’s at 1/2 the price was intel’s answer back
  5. Intel completely redesigned core and core duo was long overdue
  6. Agressive pricing should put them in the driver’s seat
  7. Amd cutting prices for X2 to compete

Balance in the force