Fx-9590

vbimport

Hi Gang. Anyone using the new FX-9590? I ask because I need to upgrade the cooler and considering the Cooler Master Nepton 240M I am having lock-up problems when trying to do any video conversions, mainly, but not only.
Have done a Memtest86 and had no errors, reinstalled all drivers. I can use the computer for hours with no problem but seems to lock-up always with converting. It should handle this and anything else when I get it straightened out. Don’t really think it’s a heat problem, at least not by itself.
Ideas needed.

[QUOTE=skoville;2740066]Hi Gang. Anyone using the new FX-9590? I ask because I need to upgrade the cooler and considering the Cooler Master Nepton 240M I am having lock-up problems when trying to do any video conversions, mainly, but not only.
Have done a Memtest86 and had no errors, reinstalled all drivers. I can use the computer for hours with no problem but seems to lock-up always with converting. It should handle this and anything else when I get it straightened out. Don’t really think it’s a heat problem, at least not by itself.
Ideas needed.[/QUOTE]

What kinda thermal paste are you using? Also is your BIOS the latest version? What you think isn’t a heat problem could be a heat problem. And from what your describing the problem only happens with video conversion program. And since you gave no software name no one will be able to know if the program is the cause or not?? And those lockup could be a result of bad HDD as well. Reason being you said everything else the setup is fine working with would stand to reason it’s either the software your using or your HDD no longer is able to perform it’s duties.

Hi CC.

What you think isn’t a heat problem could be a heat problem.

I totally agree. That’s why my next step is a cooler upgrade. (on order) Very little of Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Adhesive Set AATA-5G. Have ordered more with the new Cooler Master. BIOS is the latest. FCg. Have UN-installed and reinstalled video driver. Programs that always locks up is Xilisoft, and AVS. Not exclusively, with installations of some programs. I don’t find a pattern with other lock ups. I did a reformat and reinstalled win 7-64. The 3-Seagate Barracuda’s ST1000DM003 1TB’s are new. I’m addressing the heat situation as soon as possible and know the importance of the paste.

I read your posts a lot and have a high regard for your opinions. Thanks for replying.

What is the max temp you detect before the lockup occurs? And are you using stock clock speeds?

I dunno what encoder you use,but if it supports GPU hardware acceleration,maybe you can also check the GPU temps…

I use HWINFO for measuring all my temps in realtime…

Hello Albert. The highest I’ve ever seen it go to was 61c. (CoreTemp) That’s why I mention Xilisoft. After hitting the Start button it freezes up in less than 2 minutes, about 43c. Going to upgrade the cooler for sure, but checking for a plan “B”. Now I ran the MemTest86 overnight- no errors, but the temperature in that program said 73c and didn’t lock up.

Although I rarely find the system log/event viewer to be helpful, maybe you can check Event Viewer the next time you have a lockup to see if there might be something reported.

Also, are the 3x 1TB Seagate drives in RAID, or just separate disks? And have you verified that they are running on the latest available firmware?

Also also, maybe I misses it, but do you have the CPU and memory running even slightly overclocked? I know you said Memtest passed, but just had to check.

Finally, as roadworker suggested, if there is any potential for the GPU to be part of the problem (though you say it happens at random times, not exclusively when working with video), be sure to check it.

I’m going to be busy for a few hours and am a 3-4 am person so I may not get back to it until then.

Albert…Will do the log. I ran Xilisoft again and instead of freezing in a couple of minutes it ran to 98%. (then locked) I’ll check its log, also. Not using Raid. One HDD is in an external enclosure USB for backing up. I’ll recheck the firmware.

CPU and memory running even slightly overclocked?

Not at all.

roadworker…

it supports GPU hardware acceleration

Yes it does. I’ll make a note of that, also.
You people are great and giving me a lot of confidence. Am really having fun. Many thanks.

Well, maybe this means something. Windows wanted to do an update. (17)
I let it and when I came back it wanted to restart the computer to finish the updates. It was locked up. Just weird.

I want to thank all for informative suggestions. T the very least I’ve picked up some new tricks.
Finally decided to install my old back up Video card, a HD 6570 and it all came together. The HD 7770 was 9 months old so Ill see what Sapphire will do for me under the 2 year warranty. This of course leaves me looking for a upgrade. I’m mostly doing 3D graphics and FX more than gaming. I haven’t done any OC and figure 4.7G is plenty. I really hate this Cuda thing but PS and After Effects see to almost demand it. Can you people suggest a card that won’t use up whats left in the bank? I would have tried CrossFire with the HD 7770 but it’s obsolete and I don’t think it’s wise to get 2 from E-Bay or whoever. I always went with AMD but might have to go with GTX xxx. A little help, please.

[QUOTE=skoville;2741198]This of course leaves me looking for a upgrade. [/QUOTE]

Depends what you wanna spend for a card,but to keep up with the rest of your computer specs, I would at least go for a R9 280 ,185$ after rebate or GTX 760 for 189 $ after rebate…

I’ll write the fat man a nice letter.
I read one article that says they’re the same and yet programs insist you have to have Cuda cores. I think I’ll try the Cuda.

[QUOTE=skoville;2741204]I’ll write the fat man a nice letter.
I read one article that says they’re the same and yet programs insist you have to have Cuda cores. I think I’ll try the Cuda.[/QUOTE]

CUDA is nVidia only (it is done by nVidia, controlled by them, and fully their responsibility). The comparable open standard is OpenCL, which Intel, AMD, and nVidia all support, but it’s not interchangeable with CUDA.

I understand this “a little”. Oddly, the card with the open CL is the Cuda card. The stream Processors card doesn’t have Open CL.

[QUOTE=skoville;2741207] The stream Processors card doesn’t have Open CL.[/QUOTE]

Strange…normally AMD has build-in support for it’s drivers…

Really depends on what Althon Micro comes up with. If the R9 280 is just a rebadged HD 7950 it might not be worth it… on the other hand, CrossFire 2 HD 7770 might be interesting.
Getting confusing now. LOL, but I do need a card.