Fw 1.02 for PX4012TA

vbimport

It's been a few days since it's been out,

Has anyone used it yet? Are there any improvements as far as SD2x is concerned?

I upgraded to v1.02 yesterday. There’s no change on backing up the latest SD2 games,…no better or worse. I tested backing up MOHAA (Safedisk v2.51.021) and Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project (Safedisk v2.60.052). As before when I used firmware v1.01, the backups work only in the Plextor drive and not in my other CD/DVDrom drive or CD only drive. So far I haven’t really noticed any difference with this new firmware and consider it a minor upgrade.

Well you were right. Flashed my drive yesterday, didn’t see much of a change as to SD2.

Tried to check on its ability to read scratched cds (this fw update is supposed to make this better) … it seemed to cope just fine with a 2year old multiscratched cd i have - but then again it didn’t have a problem with crappy media in the first place :slight_smile:

I guess miracles don’t come with just one fw update :wink:

Hm, seems only yesterday I flashed my LiteOn 40125S with firmware VS02, effectively changing it from a 40x12x48 Z-CLV writer to a 48x12x48 CAV writer. I think that’s a miracle.

What’s also interesting is that the burner didn’t make any changes to my SD2 backup ability. I’ve been able to back up SD2 games (including the new Duke Nukem) even before the firmware changeover, and without the assistance of AWS.

Different drive and different procedure. I was talking about what a regular fw update of your coresponding drive can achieve - not what one can achieve by overclocking one’s drive with non-corresponding firmware.

But you do have a point. I would also be a happy man if i were you :wink: (although i would be a bit concerned about the copied media quality and the temp-related extra-stress to the drive …)

Hey i really dont understand what you mean when you say you cant burn safedisc 2.51,because i own a plextor 40x12x40
and this is what i use clonecd4 beta14/plextor firmware1 and these clonecd 4 profiles i got from another forum and theres like 19 profiles in this zip and one of the profiles in called safedisc2 and i just use that one,and i tell you ive own original copies metal of honor, renegade, serious sam 2 the sims vacation and ive burnt perfect copies of all games for a friend and all copies worked in my pioneer dvd drive and my friends pc has 2 cd drives a LG cd drive and a mitubitshi 4x burner and all games work fine in both those drives aswell,and i know there good copies because i can go and get say the latest update for metal of honor and use it on the burnt version,anyway maybe some of you 40x plextor owners should try the profile ive got seems to work great just leave your email and ill sent it to you.

Originally posted by gazman
Hey i really dont understand what you mean when you say you cant burn safedisc 2.51,because i own a plextor 40x12x40
and this is what i use clonecd4 beta14/plextor firmware1 and these clonecd 4 profiles i got from another forum and theres like 19 profiles in this zip and one of the profiles in called safedisc2 and i just use that one,and i tell you ive own original copies metal of honor, renegade, serious sam 2 the sims vacation and ive burnt perfect copies of all games for a friend and all copies worked in my pioneer dvd drive and my friends pc has 2 cd drives a LG cd drive and a mitubitshi 4x burner and all games work fine in both those drives aswell,and i know there good copies because i can go and get say the latest update for metal of honor and use it on the burnt version,anyway maybe some of you 40x plextor owners should try the profile ive got seems to work great just leave your email and ill sent it to you.

Thanx Gazman :slight_smile: i don’t think it is necessary though.

I have also made successful back ups of MOHAA and SS2, the problem isn’t that. The fact still remains that plextor drives are not able of correct EFM encoding, and this is what makes it impossible for them to copy all SD2.5 protected games, nomatter which profile you use. Sometimes the back up will work on the plextor drive, sometimes on both cdr and dvd/cdrom drives, and sometimes it won’t work at all. Facts of life … :wink:

Cool but what i cant work out is how do i know if AWS is enabled or not enabled,maybe AWS is enabled and thats the only reason i can burn it,i had a look at the properties of the profile i was using and this is what it said but theres no mention of the AWS option because if i am using it i would mind turning it off just to see if my burner will do it then

DATA READ SETTINGS
read speed 4X(704 kByte/s)
read subchannel data from data tracks HAS TICK IN BOX
regenerate data sectors NO TICK

AUDIO READ SETTINGS

read speed audio 4X(704 kByte/s)
audio extraction quality BEST (SLOWEST)
read subchannel data from audio tracks HAS TICK IN BOX
only read the first session NO TICK

ERROR HANDLING
fast error skip settings ON
abort on read error NO TICK
dont report read errors NO TICK
intelligent bad sectors scanner NO TICK

Hey at the end of the day what is the difference between a copy that has been burnt with AWS enabled and a so called perfect copy with no AWS enabled
i mean like my copy im now unshore if ive got AWS enabled or not but the fact that i can put the latest update on my burnt copy of metal honor means it must be a pretty good copy if the update cant tell the difference and the same with renegade i use my own backup copy so i dont scratch the original to play online and westwood cant tell that im using my burnt copy from my original cd.

If you open the profile file (*.ccp) it should look somewhat like this:

[CloneCD ReadPrefs]
ReadSubData=0
RegenerateData=0
ReadSubAudio=0
AbortOnReadError=0
FastErrorSkip=1
ReadSpeedData=0
ReadSpeedAudio=0
IntelligentBadSectorScan=0
SectorSkip=100
NoErrorReport=0
FirstSessionOnly=0
AudioQuality=0
[CloneCD WritePrefs]
DontRepairSubchannelData=0
AlwaysCloseLastSession=1
AmplifyWeak=1
WriteSpeed=0

Or you can just right click on the profile in ccd and go in edit … there you should find the AWS setting and see if it is checked… :wink:

I just have to know…
“Duke Nukem, Manhattan project”…what is that?
It cant be the new Duke game…
Is it a mod?

It IS a new Duke Nukem game, but more akin to… I dunno, Tomb Raider? It’s a 3d platform action game rather than a 3d shooter.

Still, it isn’t Duke Nukem Forever . . .

Yeah thanks Hemispasm t looks like im am burning them with AWS on because i opened the profile with notepad and said this
[CloneCD ReadPrefs]
ReadSubData=1
RegenerateData=0
ReadSubAudio=1
AbortOnReadError=0
FastErrorSkip=1
ReadSpeedData=4
ReadSpeedAudio=4
SectorSkip=100
NoErrorReport=0
FirstSessionOnly=0
AudioQuality=3
[CloneCD WritePrefs]
AlwaysCloseLastSession=1
AmplifyWeak=1
WriteSpeed=4

so when there been AWS how come the game companys cant tell there games have been amplifyed when you update with the latest updates then.

AWS came a long time ago with CloneCD. I don’t know the exact mechanics of it, but an amplified disc should look approximately the same to a game as an original SafeDisc disc. Sort of nice, but I enjoy the privelage of burning 1:1 copies of SD discs without the use of AWS.

OK… You all seem very intelligent so, I figured I’d ask this puzzling question. I have a PlexWriter 40/12/40A running win98 and I can’t seem to copy The Sims Vacation. I own the original and thought it would be a great idea to “back it up”. Unfortunately it seems that buying a second copy would have been cheaper! I followed some previous posts and downloaded the PlexWriter firmware 1 plus I also downloaded a bunch of profiles that included SDv2 AWS (just like gazman). I also set my clonecd 4.0.1.9 settings (profile) to that of the following:

[CloneCD ReadPrefs]
ReadSubData=1
RegenerateData=0
ReadSubAudio=1
AbortOnReadError=0
FastErrorSkip=1
ReadSpeedData=4
ReadSpeedAudio=4
SectorSkip=100
NoErrorReport=0
FirstSessionOnly=0
AudioQuality=3
[CloneCD WritePrefs]
AlwaysCloseLastSession=1
AmplifyWeak=1
WriteSpeed=4

I burnt using RAW DAO and also tried burning at RAW SAO which seemed to work a bit better then the RAW DAO. The CD is (according to the clonecd log) error free. Therefore I should be able to run the game right? Well it’s not that easy. The game; (The Sims Vacation, stay with me here) auto starts and I’m able to select the option to play. It becomes a gambling situation after this….  You see it only starts I would say about 45% of the time. All the other times it bails out on me and gives me a "stack dump" error. What am I doing wrong? I even have the “Hide CDR Media” setting on and ran a virus scan on my drive. Why would it only run at certain times and not others? Any help on this would be more then appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Latest firmware for P4012A is v. 1.02 (not 1.01 - not that it makes any big difference)

2. What protection does this game have? (AWS is needed only on SD2.5x games - reading subs is not necessary unless it is securom)

3. Plextors are known for making back-ups that:

*work on both cdr and other drives
*work only on cdr with “hide cdr on” (always)
*work only on cdr with “hide cdr on” (sometimes)
*don’t work on any drive

Hey teagangsta,i dont know what your doing wrong,because it has to work ive burnt that game for about 10 differnet people,and they just shove it in any cd drive and works every time,hey when you try to dump the image you just click on the safedisc 2 profile dont you,same when you go to burn it just click on the profile and load the image up and burn,are you burning at 4x,anyway leave your email and ill send you the exact profile i use,it has to work because where got the same burners,otherwise email me at gforce4@bigfoot.com.au

gazeman,

It’s not that the game doesn’t work…  It does…  But, only when it wants to….  The rest of the time I get that “stack dump” error I mentioned…  I have not given up though!!! If you could send over the profile that you’re using it would be great!  Perhaps there’s something that I’m missing in mine that your has….  You can sent it here: [email]teagangsta@juno.com[/email]  If noting else it will give me a justifiable reason for burning all those coasters. 

Thanks in advance!

gazman,

I have one more question I wanted to ask...  Are you using your PlexWriter 40/12/40A to read and write your image? Perhaps that's where our differences lie....  Just a thought…  Also, what mode would you recommend burning in, RAW DAO or RAW SAO?

I use the pextor 40/12/40A to read and write the image,hey you dont have to choose any options,because thats what the profiles are for,they pic all options automatically,this is exactly what i did,i downloaded the profile zip,extracted all the profiles to this directory
C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\Profiles
Then i load up clonecd 4 beta 14,pick read to image file,then choose my plextor drive,then the profiles screen come up,i then choose the safedisk2 profile,then the next screen comes up and asks me where i want to put the image,I browse and pick the sims vacation folder i put on the desktop,then i click ok,and the program starts dumping the image,so you dont have to choose any options yourself thats what the profile is for,anyway after ive dumped the image,i load clonecd back up, then choose write from image file then the next screen comes up do the browse thing and tell it where the image is,then go next and the profile screen comes up,then choose the safedisc 2 profile and click ok or next,and thats it it starts burning ,so you dont have to touch any settings,if i were you i would unistall clone cd4 and delete the folder out of program files and then install it again,because it sounds like youve changed all the settings,by the way when i dump the game it takes about 18 minutes to read and another 18 minutes to write,anyway like i said ive burnt sims vacation,metal of honor,renegade serious sam2 which all have safedisc 2.51 in them,that exact way like above,it has to work.