Futureproofing

vbimport

Having owned my litey 24102b for a while and reading the forums for some time It’s coming clear to update the burner. There was a post sometime ago that showed that sd revision for the future.On one update the lite on was on their hit list (correct efm).This being the case would the asus be the burner to go with for the future.:confused:

Go ASUS for fool-proofness.
Go LITEON for thrill seeking.

so no one can recall the post on this site to said the future of safe disk that said the road map to sd and killing litey drives.All i need to knowis if the asus is a little better in weak secters. This is all the info I need before I buy

Originally posted by ausjim26
so no one can recall the post on this site to said the future of safe disk that said the road map to sd and killing litey drives…

Were they rumours, or facts, and is there any evidence of that so far?

Certainly not with SD2.9 anyway.

Lazer.

Every few revisions, SafeDisc introduces new weak sector patterns that the Litey can’t handle. alexnoe updated his batch program to reflect these patterns. While the ASUS is not a three-sheep burner it didn’t have the problems of some LITEONs.

You have to be lucky to buy a LITEON that can defeat SafeDisc as easy as any ASUS except the 32x. The context to this is using any program to backup. The true tests are a CloneCD read/write or a DiscJuggler read/write. We know of no 24102B that can write SD2.9x

The ASUS also doesn’t have the unreliability of a LITEON, generally speaking because some just can’t do it, for a SecuROM read.

If anyone is about to flame me: if your LITEON works for you then w00t! If yours doesn’t then you can still backup with autoplay or some other form of emu. CloneCD’s VCD has been blacklisted by SecuROM and SD2.9x Blacklisting proves the importance of hardware/software combinations that you are happy with.

With the introduction of new sector patterns that defeat Lite-Ons, why is it that they no longer write the new patterns correctly?

Is it a hardware problem? If so, what makes one drive drastically different from another?

Can/could a firmware change re-enable the ability to write the new patterns?

It doesn’t sound like too drastic a problem to solve. I mean it’s not like expecting your Cd-Rom to suddenly be able to read DVD-Roms or something like that i.e. the change doesn’t seem to be that great.

What do you reckon?

Lazer.

Originally posted by Lazer
[B]With the introduction of new sector patterns that defeat Lite-Ons, why is it that they no longer write the new patterns correctly?

Is it a hardware problem? If so, what makes one drive drastically different from another?

Can/could a firmware change re-enable the ability to write the new patterns?[/B]
Any writer can be targeted. It’s just a matter of creating patterns that have large digital sum values (DSV) and then testing them against selected writers. This has been discussed but some time ago. When the writer is required to modulate (EFM: eight to fourteen modulation, DVDs are eight to sixteen) a DSV should be as close to zero as possible. In the case of SafeDisc the weak sectors create high DSVs which most chipsets are not designed to handle. The EFM lookup table is integral to every CD burner’s chipset along with the media catalogue.

I’m told that a simple FW revision does not fix the problem of new weak patterns but rather a more fundamental approach to the chipset code is required. I think the trade-off is this:

A burner that eats SafeDisc and other error based prots can’t install a Twinpeak’d copy. LITEON seems to be in the middle.

Why can some Liteys do SD2 and some not? Why can some Liteys do SecuROM reliably and some not? spath would know.

there was a post that highlighted the future of safedisk up to 3.1 i think but this was some time ago (6 months) this is the post I’m talking about can anyone recall

I think this is what your looking for?
http://clone.cd/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=322

Thanx logicwatch thats exactly what I was talking about.

in light of the post or a post very similar to the one I read a while ago what would be a good cd burner that maybe futureproof for the future.Because my 24102b is all ready for the burner heaven in the sky or downbelow :a