Future Nintendo console only allows game downloads, end of optical disc era?

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Future Nintendo console only allows game downloads, end of optical disc era?[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2011/08/NintendoLogo.jpg[/newsimage]

A Nintendo patent reveals the company is working on a console that no longer uses optical discs. The games will only be made available through the internet.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/future-nintendo-console-only-allows-game-downloads-end-of-optical-disc-era-77068/](http://www.myce.com/news/future-nintendo-console-only-allows-game-downloads-end-of-optical-disc-era-77068/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not all of us has good internet access and we will just have to look elsewhere for optical disk sources.

They’ll better make the games no larger than a few megabytes then. Not everyone has high speed internet access with tens of GB’s bandwith. They’re going to force downloads on people? That console is dead and unsellable before it even is created.

I still use Ninetendo NES . Only cartridges no optical disc.

Maybe the new one needs a Micro SD card slot.
Then people could just buy a “protected” SD card with the game on it.

Console gaming is for children. PC gaming is where its at and that is all downloads, like Steam.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2758995]Console gaming is for children. .[/QUOTE]

Hi alan , So your saying you could defeat Dracula in Castlevania on a Nintendo NES with no problem ?

Or maybe figure out how to finish MegaMech .

Or maybe you could defeat the sorcerer in Death Sword (A version of the Barbarian) on Commodore 64 even with a crappy joystick ?

After all these games are for children.

Why does Nintendo need a patent on disc-less gaming. Android, IOS, Mac, and Windows users have been doing so for years. Heck, how many Flash Player-based games are there out there? Who can count?

Well for me it’s Nintendo 3DS XL all the way…portable and easy to carry and play with and plays my old DS games without problem.

[QUOTE=cholla;2758997]Hi alan , So your saying you could defeat Dracula in Castlevania on a Nintendo NES with no problem ?

Or maybe figure out how to finish MegaMech .

Or maybe you could defeat the sorcerer in Death Sword (A version of the Barbarian) on Commodore 64 even with a crappy joystick ?

After all these games are for children.[/QUOTE] I wasnt a gamer when those games were popular, I was to busy working and raising my son, but even if they were hard to defeat, thats not the only part of a game that important to me, I like one person shooter games, and games that require you to have a plan, and know what all the weapons are used for. I had a Commodore 64 but never played a game on it.:bigsmile:

According to the gospel of alan1476: "Console gaming is for children. PC gaming is where its at and that is all downloads, like Steam."
With no further information, that comes forth as both ignorant and less knowledgeable.
What is crystal clear from your comment, is that you do not have any knowledge of the games offered on the various consoles, but fyi some of these are explicitly not recommended for children.
A console has benefits compared to a PC as a base for gaming, games that runs as they should without glitches due to needed hardware upgrades being the first and foremost of course. What you are talking about is the most expensive way of gaming as far as hardware goes and for people on a budget, it may be the only argument needed for choosing a console over a PC as their gaming base.

Now, why Nintendo needs a patent for the diskless system should come as no surprise to anybody… To earn money from a proprietary solution of course and most probably to stop 3rd party storage solutions.

I wouldn’t say I was a gamer as some define one.
Evidence is I don’t play online except on a limited basis.
That is almost always when someone posts a game on a forum.
These are usually simple games .

For Nintendo NES these are just a few I have & play when I have time.
In all the times playing it MegaMech .
I killed the main enemy but then it goes to a place that doesn’t seem to end .
Journey to Silius is sort of a shooter game with various weapons & you need to know what they are for.
Crystalis is a simpler sword game but you have to use certain swords & power levels to defeat certain enemies.
The original Duck Hunt is still fun to me.

I also still have two working Commodore 64’s .
Only 1 ready to use.
For me it has always been a gaming console & saw limited use as a computer.
Death Sword is my favorite . It involves various sword moves as well as ducks & rolls controlled with a joystick. If you can kill the opponet with the spinning head chop . A little green guy comes onscreen drags the body off while kicking the head & laughing. That one is on 5.25 floppy but I have a Fast Load cartridge which helps a lot.
Gyruss is a Commodore 64 game I have on a cartridge . It is an arcade game . A lot cheaper than paying a quarter to play .

[B]I’m for playing whatever you like .[/B] Just don’t be so quick on leveling down something that is fun to someone else . Besides when you think about it “children” are some of the best players . Because they have the time to get really good.

The game which i usually play is rainbow six. It is an upcoming video game.It is a first person shooter game this game is consist of environment destructive sessions.The graphics and sound of game are realistic. Ihave already pre ordered the game at http://www.instant-gaming.com/fr/406-acheter-cle-uplay-rainbow-six-siege/.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2759033]According to the gospel of alan1476: "Console gaming is for children. PC gaming is where its at and that is all downloads, like Steam."
With no further information, that comes forth as both ignorant and less knowledgeable.[/QUOTE]This also comes from a bias background to think one knows the judgement of another Gamer PC or console.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2759033]What is crystal clear from your comment, is that you do not have any knowledge of the games offered on the various consoles, but fyi some of these are explicitly not recommended for children.[/QUOTE]And you think Children aren’t getting their hands on those games-Kids are alot smarter then you think and learn faster then you think.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2759033]A console has benefits compared to a PC as a base for gaming, games that runs as they should without glitches due to needed hardware upgrades being the first and foremost of course. What you are talking about is the most expensive way of gaming as far as hardware goes and for people on a budget, it may be the only argument needed for choosing a console over a PC as their gaming base.[/QUOTE]This is laughable no updates really then why does Console games has memory cards to update the games? Sounds like to much knee jerk response before thinking here. Every games gets update an to think otherwise is so thinking “Inside the Box”.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2759033]Now, why Nintendo needs a patent for the diskless system should come as no surprise to anybody… To earn money from a proprietary solution of course and most probably to stop 3rd party storage solutions.[/QUOTE]And you think the 3rd party won’t come up with a solution? Another thinking inside the box again. If the games are good as they are then they shouldn’t worry users will buy the game a reasonable price that is the part they forget they overcharge and loose the buyers. I have 3DS XL and game on the hand held when I have time it’s a good stress breaker and some of those games I played on console before but portable helps. As PC games I also have those as well so I don’t close my mind off but have my options open to Consoles(portable) and PC games. Consoles will never best a PC graphics and details also I can upgrade my PC for less and get better playback value and still enjoy the gaming.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762858] And you think Children aren’t getting their hands on those games-Kids are alot smarter then you think and learn faster then you think.[/QUOTE]

Putting words in my mouth? Read again.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762858]This is laughable no updates really then why does Console games has memory cards to update the games? Sounds like to much knee jerk response before thinking here. Every games gets update an to think otherwise is so thinking “Inside the Box”.[/QUOTE]

No graphics or motherboard hardware update in sight.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762858]And you think the 3rd party won’t come up with a solution? Another thinking inside the box again. [/QUOTE]

It would be nice if you did not put words in my mouth again and learn to re-read before responding

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762858]If the games are good as they are then they shouldn’t worry users will buy the game a reasonable price that is the part they forget they overcharge and loose the buyers. I have 3DS XL and game on the hand held when I have time it’s a good stress breaker and some of those games I played on console before but portable helps. As PC games I also have those as well so I don’t close my mind off but have my options open to Consoles(portable) and PC games. Consoles will never best a PC graphics and details also I can upgrade my PC for less and get better playback value and still enjoy the gaming.[/QUOTE]

What can I say, again you choose to put words in my mouth, place meaning where it fits you and totally miss the point of the whole reply.

I am not sure if you have trouble reading or just being plain rude the way you are trolling with my reply.
Whatever, I have noticed your thinking inside the Windows 7 box in other threads and so it may be to be expected from one running around in circles six years behind the rest of us?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762959]Putting words in my mouth? Read again.

No graphics or motherboard hardware update in sight.

It would be nice if you did not put words in my mouth again and learn to re-read before responding

What can I say, again you choose to put words in my mouth, place meaning where it fits you and totally miss the point of the whole reply.

I am not sure if you have trouble reading or just being plain rude the way you are trolling with my reply.
Whatever, I have noticed your thinking inside the Windows 7 box in other threads and so it may be to be expected from one running around in circles six years behind the rest of us?[/QUOTE]No, but when one Trolls already then being trolled shouldn’t be a problem right…killed any Trolls online gaming lately…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762964]No, but when one Trolls already then being trolled shouldn’t be a problem right…killed any Trolls online gaming lately…[/QUOTE]

Magic part of sentence:
With no further information…

I would say you two should stop fussing in public…

(for the record I do suggest this)

…But! I will say coolcolor’s replies seem to be a little snappy, 1-dimensional, and inaccurate, so I’m going to have to ask you to tone that down. We’re here to share ideas & converse, not immediately call one another wrong. :wink: