Fustrating computer problem

Hey guys, I’ve been out of town and I just got back yesterday, thanks for all the reply. I opened the computer up and it wasn’t super dusty or really dusty at all, but I will look into clearing that out. Haven’t had a chance to check the PSU, but something came up. I was using it fine last night, and it froze on me, so I defraged right after i did the hard restart, and it worked fine till this morning. Then I was using google maps, and while zooming into the satellite picture, it froze. I opened the computer up and made sure the memory wasn’t loose or out of place, and then turned the computer back on. Now it won’t even load up. It just freezes at the HP system start up screen.

Its very strange…pretty much, I can’t do anything at this screen…it seems to be frozen here. I can’t press the options (setup, boot menu, system recovery, disagnostic). Looks like my computers dead or something. Can anyone help me with this recent event, this is so ridiculous.

Ok, i just switched back to the old PSU, and it started up fine. So you guys are brilliant and were definitely right about the PSU being bad. Now i’m gonna try to use this PSU and see if it freezes at all over the next 2-3 days. If it doesn’t freeze, then for sure all my problems were due to a bad Rosewill PSU. But if it freezes again, then I’ll have to see what else it could be.

[QUOTE=xTheGiftx;2134734]Ok, i just switched back to the old PSU, and it started up fine. So you guys are brilliant and were definitely right about the PSU being bad. Now i’m gonna try to use this PSU and see if it freezes at all over the next 2-3 days. If it doesn’t freeze, then for sure all my problems were due to a bad Rosewill PSU. But if it freezes again, then I’ll have to see what else it could be.[/QUOTE]

It may still freeze up,you may still need a new PSU , one with a little more gusto than the older one that you are using now.
Just letting you know that it may still freeze up and it still may be the PSU.

bean55

[QUOTE=bean55;2135018]It may still freeze up,you may still need a new PSU , one with a little more gusto than the older one that you are using now.
Just letting you know that it may still freeze up and it still may be the PSU.

bean55[/QUOTE]

You were right. I’m pretty dusappointed, because it froze again. I don’t get why it is freezing if its the PSU. The old psu worked fine and its in the exact same factory condition it was in that worked for the first month until I changed it.

I’m going to try to clear the dust out of the computer.

Things eliminated as not the problem: The new Video Card, the New PSU, software problems, the memory (ran memory test).

It still may be a heat problem. Clean all the dust out of the processor heat sink, make sure there is good airflow around the processor and graphics card. Leave the side open and use a desk fan to blow extra air into the case. If it freezes again then its probably not heat related but something else.
If so it looks like the best course of action is to put it back the way it was when you first bought it and run it for a few days upgrading it a little at a time until it becomes unstable then you will know what is causing it.
I know this way is long winded but a logical approach to eliminate components one at a time may be the only way other than taking it to a computer shop and paying through the nose for them to sort it out for you.

[QUOTE=xTheGiftx;2135181]
Things eliminated as not the problem: The new Video Card,[/QUOTE]
Did you completely clean out the old drivers using Driver Cleaner (or similar) and reinstall new, stable drivers ?

the New PSU,

I dunno, still would like to see a voltage report from your BIOS or SpeedFan or MotherBoardMonitor…?? (also, PC Wizard 2008, SiSoft Sandra Lite, Everest Free Edition)
[B]Esp. under load[/B]…

software problems,

Drivers are S/W…

the memory (ran memory test).

Good.

[B]Temps[/B], esp. under load.
Still would like to see a temp report from your BIOS or Speedfan or MotherBoardMonitor…??

If for whatever reason(s) you can’t get any of the above monitors to work, often you can D/L software from your motherboard mfr’s site that will detect voltages and temps.

OK, so I cleaned the heck out of the thing, made sure there was no dust, made sure that the memory was in good. Then It froze twice last night.

temperature readings from speedfan are currently-
temp 1- 41C
temp 2- 26C
temp 3- 29C
HD0- 35C
HD1- 39C
Core0- 47C
Core1- 46C
Core2- 46C
Core3- 45C

Although earlier when I was playing a flash game, the core temperatures went up to about 57-61C

Heres something voltate related that I found in Everest, I don’t know exactly what voltage reading i’m suppose to find, but hopefully this is it:
Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.27 V
ITE 87xx HWMonitor Port 0000
ITE 87xx Device ID 0000
ITE 87xx Version 00
Winbond SuperIO HWMonitor Port 0000
Winbond SuperIO Device ID FFFF
Fintek SuperIO HWMonitor Port 0A00
Fintek SuperIO Device ID 0581
LPC47 SuperIO HWMonitor Port 0000
LPC47 SuperIO Device ID FFFF

I’m going to probably do a factory restore next week, with the stock factory hardware, and then see if it freezes again.

Temps look OK.
With SpeedFan open, just click over to voltages.
Anyway, here’s what Everest looks like (voltages)

[QUOTE=xTheGiftx;2135181]You were right. I’m pretty dusappointed, because it froze again. I don’t get why it is freezing if its the PSU. The old psu worked fine and its in the exact same factory condition it was in that worked for the first month until I changed it.

I’m going to try to clear the dust out of the computer.

Things eliminated as not the problem: The new Video Card, the New PSU, software problems, the memory (ran memory test).[/QUOTE]

xTheGiftx

Hang in there, we know it is frustrating trying to narrow these problems down.
I am still betting on the PSU, Did you take a real good look and feel of the MOBO capacitors?

Check out this link on this : http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/capacitors-mobo-leaking-95657/

If the capacitors are good I personally would buy a good PSU and go from there.If it does not fix the problem with this computer you would at least have a good PSU for the next computer.

I think that this computer is too young to fall into the bad capacitor era, although anything’s possible.
Let’s see what the voltages are esp. under load.

Hey Guys, Once again Thank you Thank you Thank you soooo much for all your help. So, I think my motherboard is not recognized by Everest and speedfan and what not, and thats the reason that they were not displaying the voltage and the reason why I was so confused and having a hard time finding it. I guess the next logical step is to find it from the motherboard’s manufacturer’s website, however, I couldn’t find any bios software and what not. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t even find the motherboard on the website. It is very strange. The motherboard that HP told me I have is:
Motherboard description

* Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus IPIBL-LB
* HP/Compaq name: Benicia-GL8E

CPU/Processor

* Socket: 775

I tried looking up “Asus IPIBL-LB” on their website and have had no luck…please tell me if I’m confused and doing something wrong.

So with everest, I was only able to get core voltage when I opened the voltage thing like you showed me [B]jflan[/B]. Thanks for the screen shot by the way!

As far as the capacitors, I’m once again out of town for the weekend, so I won’t be able to check the computer, but I don’t remember seeing anything that crazy when I opened up my computer case to dust it. But I will definitely give it a check when I get back home.

Also, the reason I feel that it might not be the PSU, is because well, the original PSU was working fine, I switched over to the new one, which I thought was causing the problems, then I switched back to the original one, meaning that the original one had to get messed up either when I removed it, or while it was sitting around. But in the end, like the Sherlock Holmes quote, whatever is left has to be the culprit.

I really don’t know if I brought this upon myself by trying to upgrade this 2 month old computer, but I feel really crappy about this.

So I will try to figure something out with the PSU voltage, and I will check the capacitors when I get back. Thanks so much guys.

from Karaokeboy.
I just bought a new karaoke dvd player, it has a USB 2 connection to which I can add an External Hard Drive.
Can anyone tell me if I need to buy a media hard drive, or if I bought just any hard drive would I have to format it first, and would I require any special software.
johna.maguire@ntlworld.com

Ok, so I got back today, after leaving my computer on for 3 days while I was away, and it worked fine, it had not froze. After using it for about an hour or 2, it froze, and later on it froze again, but this time I had speedfan running, and well it froze with the last known temperatures right on the screen and they were:
temp 1- 49C
temp 2- 35C
temp 3- 33C
HD0- 37C
HD1- 40C
Core0- 50C
Core1- 48C
Core2- 48C
Core3- 48C

So I’m pretty sure its not an over-heating problem, and the common theme each time it was freezing was I was downloading a large file. I think that this may be hdd problem now, but I will update within the next day with the PSU voltage.

Maybe your HD mfr is in here, if not there are other utilities available to test your HD health…

Temps look fine so it could very well be hdd related if it does it while you dl large files
because as you have already said it just sat there running for 3 days straight without
a freeze/lockup. :confused:

So I’m pretty sure its not an over-heating problem, and the common theme each time it was freezing was I was downloading a large file. I think that this may be hdd problem now, but I will update within the next day with the PSU voltage.

I know I sound like a broken record but D/L large files has the HDD spinning up faster and the CPU powering up more to process and all that leads to what? More power needed from the PSU to keep everything running.
Just my opinion.