Funai brand Blu-ray players first to feature Cinavia level 3 protection

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Funai brand Blu-ray players first to feature Cinavia level 3 protection[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/01/myce-verance-cinavia-level3-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Funai, also known for their Magnavox and Emerson brand Blu-ray players is one of the first manufacturers to feature Cinavia level 3

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/funai-brand-blu-ray-players-first-to-feature-cinavia-level-3-protection-70039/](http://www.myce.com/news/funai-brand-blu-ray-players-first-to-feature-cinavia-level-3-protection-70039/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I guess Funai is not the brand to buy then LOL.

I still think it’s sort of silly. 1:1 backup was a pretty popular form of pirating back in the day of DVD’s. I think most bluray pirating is done by making x264 encodes of the video on the bluray disc. The video is then played back on devices that don’t have cinevia.

I honestly think Cinevia is a waste of time and money because 1:1 bluray pirating is probably the least popular method of piracy. It’s entirely possible that more people use it for legitimate backup than pirate a full disc.

[QUOTE=Zod;2715403] I honestly think Cinevia is a waste of time and money because 1:1 bluray pirating is probably the least popular method of piracy. It’s entirely possible that more people use it for legitimate backup than pirate a full disc.[/QUOTE] The purpose of Cinavia, FBI Warnings, and other DRM apparently is to punish honest people who are actually paying for the product, because they are the ones who are most impacted by all this b.s.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2715416]The purpose of Cinavia, FBI Warnings, and other DRM apparently is to punish honest people who are actually paying for the product, because they are the ones who are most impacted by all this b.s.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree:

So can someone confirm, did Funai want this on or was it just because they are the first manufacturers of a new player in 2014 and all the rest will be catching up?

Technically I don’t think most people who buy bluray’s notice cinevia or DRM because most people don’t bother to backup their own discs. I have a decent collection and the DRM doesn’t really impact me.

The FBI warnings though. Holy crap that’s the biggest drawback to buying a movie. How long you have to wait to actually get the movie playing after you insert the discs. Too many unskippable warnings :frowning: Pirates rip them out so they never have to see them. The only one who sees FBI warnings are the paying customers and thus the warnings never make it to their intended targets.

[QUOTE=Zod;2715534] Too many unskippable warnings :frowning: Pirates rip them out so they never have to see them. The only one who sees FBI warnings are the paying customers and thus the warnings never make it to their intended targets.[/QUOTE]

Everyone with even a tiny bit of common sense understands that…:clap:…so,what does that say about the multimedia industry upper managements???:Z:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2715539]Everyone with even a tiny bit of common sense understands that…:clap:…so,what does that say about the multimedia industry upper managements???:Z:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

If they’d brains they’d be dangerous, LOL! :iagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2715539]Everyone with even a tiny bit of common sense understands that…:clap:…so,what does that say about the multimedia industry upper managements???:Z:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Maybe it says that they are really after the “fair use” customers in the first place?
They already know they can’t touch the real pirates. Its the regular customer who makes copies for themselves, friends and family who they want to stop. Regardless of how we might feel about that, its what copy protection is really about.

I guess in my brain it’s easier to download a pirated a copy of something you own, than it is to make your own backup of it. Sort of a grey area I guess. Owning the bluray but downloading a drm free rip to use in your other devices (say a smartphone/tablet if you want to watch it while travelling)…

I never really considered that people make 1:1 bluray copies to give friends/relatives anymore. Kind of reminds me of dual deck ghettoblasters in the 80s when everyone dubbed cassette tapes :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2715561]Maybe it says that they are really after the “fair use” customers in the first place?
They already know they can’t touch the real pirates. Its the regular customer who makes copies for themselves, friends and family who they want to stop. Regardless of how we might feel about that, its what copy protection is really about.[/QUOTE]

And I say to O(U(&(& to that…Amen…people have the software to kill DVD protection and pretty soon BD cinavia will be of the past…it all goes like this “if you can make they can break it”. Such a simple model those Corporate Greed can’t seem to get their small heads around it. It’s not just the pirates consumers are demanding no CSS or Cinavia as this isn’t what they bought just to watch for their own consumption. And as I mentioned there are reliable software out there that will remove the protection on DVD and pretty soon on BD to do just that and be pretty straight forward on how to do it and people will buy it and use it. Consumer may not look smart but overtime they get smarter…