Fujitsu-Siemens GCA-4080N

vbimport

Hello everyone!
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo m1425 with an OEM 8X DVD-RW GCA-4080N. Its Firmware originally was 0w33, but after experiencing incompatibility problems with newer 16x media, I decided to upgrade to a 0w34 firmware that I found while googling.
Recently, certain Verbatim and other brand’s DVD-R and DVD+Rs that used to work were not recognized on my machine, so I decided to try flashing a new firmware from TDB.

I tried the 0w33 rpc1 plus crossflashing a few GCA and GMA versions from different vendors, but that didn’t help, so I flashed back to the 0w34.

Right after that, my DVD-RW drive will not recognize most store bought DVD-R and DVD+R brands! It DOES recognize CDs, DVD+R DL, plus all DVD media that is company made (for example PC Games and DVD movies, both single layer and dual layer!). It does NOT however recognize DVD-R and DVD+Rs that I have burned in the past on my laptop, or from friends’ PCs (both media and data).

I tried using a lens cleaner disc, but that did nothing. I tried flashing the 0w34 and the 0w33 rpc1 again, even in safe mode, but that didn’t help.

I read on a thread that flashing a few times could damage your hardware. Is this a hardware problem? How could it specifically not read or write home-burned DVDs (various batches of Verbatim DVD-R 8x and 16x, TDK DVD+R 16x, HP DVD_R 16x, Memorex DVD-R and DVD+R 16x, Fujifilm DVD-R 8x, plus others)??

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the trouble. I’m a newbie in firmware flashing.

Hi and Welcomequote=mr.poop;2182736
Recently, certain Verbatim and other brand’s DVD-R and DVD+Rs that used to work were not recognized on my machine, so I decided to try flashing a new firmware from TDB.[/quote]If known good media like Verbatim starts to fail, then this is not a firmware issue.

I suspect, your drive is dying for whatever reason.

Michael

It is an old laptop, I have to admit that. Well, time to start looking for a new DVD drive (or a new laptop for that matter).

Thank you!