Fujitsu restricts aging laptop battery capacity to 65%

A few months ago, my Fujtisu P772 laptop received a Fujtisu update through Windows update that gives a warning that my battery is considered deteriorated and I must update the firmware to prevent a potential battery-related thermal incident. It let me postpone it a few times, but there was no way to eliminate the warning and if I tried to remove the software, it would automatically come through Windows Update again.

In the end, I let it go through the firmware update and haven’t thought anything about it until I decided to do a fresh Windows installation with the 1903 release. As soon as Windows finished installing and reached the desktop, that battery warning presented itself:

Fujitsu%20Laptop%20Battery

It’s bad enough as it is that as laptop batteries age, they lose capacity and Fujtisu has taken this a step further by reducing the maximum charge level to 65%. :confused:

So far I’m not aware of any other laptop manufacturer doing this and don’t recall reading any advice on not to fully recharge old lithium ion batteries. I can just imagine the outrage electric car makers would cause if they decide to apply software updates to customer cars so that batteries older than a few years can no longer recharge above 65%. :open_mouth:

This appears to be an overkill response to a battery recall stemming from presence of foreign particles in some battery lots, which I presume may cause ignition under high charge states due to the initiation of internal shorts.

It seems that, in their paranoia over non-recalled batteries that might unexpectedly have the same defect, Fujitsu is applying this over-the-top fix to all laptops of that vintage.

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/notices/2018/1031-01.html

https://www.fmworld.net/globalpc/batteryctrl/

For curiosity, I checked the battery serial # with their battery check utility. While it stated mine is not recalled, it told me I must replace my battery anyway and that I could only recharge it 6 more times! :hushed:

Instead of clicking either button, I rebooted and it just displays the message in my first post again.

The laptop is otherwise in good working condition and was fairly high end when I bought and configured it (12" display, Core i5 3320M, Crucial M4 512GB SSD, 12GB RAM) It was one of the last 12" models at the time that included a CD bay as it let me swap between it and a second internal HDD.

From various experimenting, I managed to find a loophole that gets the battery temporarily charged to 100%. So if it does decide to only recharge 6 more times, I’ll try this trick.

It does make me wonder whether this will be an issue if I decide to buy an aftermarket battery. When it comes to the point where I decide to replace my laptop, the new one will not be a Fujitsu!

What are the terms of the Battery Pack Exchange Program referred to by the tool?

When I ran it again today, it gave me a close button instead of that warning that it was going to prevent me charging after 6 days. I don’t recall there being any link under that pop-up yesterday when I moved it before rebooting. This is the message it displayed when I ran it today:

2019-06-13

This is the page I downloaded the tool from.