Fuji blanks comments Please!

I just bought a lite-on 52327s burner, and Im looking for some of the better blanks to use for that burner. I saw the list here in the forums in another section, but Im having a hard time locating the ones on that list. ( I live in the middle of freakin nowhere TN ).
I found some fuji 48X but I dont think they are TY, as these are from Taiwan. Are these really good blanks? Im a complete newbie at this, so I wont be able to tell the difference between a coaster, or a bad burn from something I did wrong. Thanks in advance to all. Excellent Forum!!

Only discs made in Japan are TY. The Taiwan discs are Prodisc, and are, well, average.
Look for some TDK 48x , 50 or 100 ct spindle with a rounded top edge on the cakebox. (possibly grey base) TDK 52x too. These will be Ritek and will work VERY well in the 7S drive. Your best bet for Fuji-TY is at BestBuy.
FeakinNowhere, TN. Is that near Bucksnort? :wink:

rdgrimes is correct. The Riteks are a good CD-R but look for the Fujifilms that are made in Japan. There are a lot of them out there if you look around. At least where I’m from they are still readily available on the shelves of Best Buy, Radio Shack and some others.

Download and use the Kprobe tool to scan your discs for C1/C2 errors and you can make comparisons to see which disc burn best at various speeds on your Lite-On. I have done A LOT of testing on my Plex Premium and Yamaha CRW-F1 and the TY’s give the most consistent results.

thanks guys for the info. I was able to pick up 2 Fuji 5 packs from K-mart that were made in Japan. Wish I could have found more. So ANY brand that says made in Japan will be superior, or just certain ones?
Just to give you an idea of how far in the boonies I am, the nearest Best Buy is 90 miles…

Usually the Fuji TY are 50ct spindles, but you will find others too. Pretty much any CDR made in Japan will be TY. But in the 52327S drive, the Ritek are just as good, and also Verbatim DataLifePlus 48x will work very well.

Originally posted by jonkmc1

Just to give you an idea of how far in the boonies I am, the nearest Best Buy is 90 miles…
This one is always @ your service :

But do those have the hard coated top that the Fujis have?

Originally posted by Chriso
But do those have the hard coated top that the Fujis have?
Is this mentioned anywhere on the Fuji media/cakeboxes ?
All the TY discs I got here look alike.

I thought they (the Fujis) had some extra hard coating on top, but I might have been wrong.

Originally posted by Chriso
I thought they (the Fujis) had some extra hard coating on top, but I might have been wrong.

The newer 48X TY Fujis have a hard coat on the top. The older 24X TY Fujis have a thinner coat on the top but it’s still there. Even if you don’t have the packaging to read the number, you can still tell the difference between the 24X and 48X because the 48X ones are shinier due to the coating.

I do not know what the non-TY Fujis are like, I only get the TY ones.

HP 16x, HP24x, TY blanks 24x, TY blanks 40x, Maxell 40x, Fuji 48x, Fuji swirls, Verbatim 48x -
all they shine equally to me and are visually of the same thickness.
In fact, you cannot even tell which is which if randomly placed.

I guess, it’s time for purchasing 2 new pairs of glasses and candles.

Interesting … I had been using the Fuji/TY 24X for some years since I had stocked up on many spindles. Eventually those ran out and I got a Fuji/TY 48X spindle and as soon as I took the first disc out, I thought, “Wow, this is shiny!”

And just to be clear, I am talking about the top surface with the Fuji Label as opposed to the bottom surface through which you can see the dye.

Originally posted by BoSkin
HP 16x, HP24x, TY blanks 24x, TY blanks 40x, Maxell 40x, Fuji 48x, Fuji swirls, Verbatim 48x -
all they shine equally to me and are visually of the same thickness.
In fact, you cannot even tell which is which if randomly placed.

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus

And just to be clear, I am talking about the top surface with the Fuji Label as opposed to the bottom surface through which you can see the dye.
Thanks for the clarification !!!

I nevertheless still hope that I know where the dye side is ( used to be )
and hopefully they don’t look alike from the opposite side. :bigsmile:

I’ve never had Fuji 24x by TY though.
But I don’t think there’s a big difference between those and the TY 24x blanks :

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f/LBA:359848)
Manufacturer = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Cur. Speed = Wrt(40X),Rd(12X)

Ah, right. :wink: :wink:

I thought that you might be looking at the dye side and thinking that they all look equally shiny.

As to the 24X Fuji/TY, they were very common here in Canada 2 or 3 years ago and you could get them at Staples/Business Depot or Radio Shack.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Thanks for the clarification !!!

I nevertheless still hope that I know where the dye side is ( used to be )
and hopefully they don’t look alike from the opposite side. :bigsmile:

I’ve never had Fuji 24x by TY though.
But I don’t think there’s a big difference between those and the TY 24x blanks :

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f/LBA:359848)
Manufacturer = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Cur. Speed = Wrt(40X),Rd(12X) [/B]

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus

I thought that you might be looking at the dye side and thinking that they all look equally shiny.

Yeah, you thought right - that’s what I did looking at the dye sides of all those discs.

All my stuff, except HP 16 & 24x, Maxell 40x & Verbatim Pastels 48x, comes from US of A.
You know what I mean ? :wink:

All in all, I’m glad all my TY CDRs are the same ! :cool: :smiley:

Hey BoSkin, concerning that picture/link you have to rima for .28 cent TY (100 spindle): do they have any coating on top like where you can write something on it? Or is it completely blank? Also, is it me or is that a good price? Would you recommend I pay more for made in japan Fuji’s at BestBuy or? …

Originally posted by vallybally

do they have any coating on top like where you can write something on it? Or is it completely blank? Also, is it me or is that a good price? Would you recommend I pay more for made in japan Fuji’s at BestBuy or? …
The price is good, all TY media is in general the same, so buy the cheapest one.
If you can find Verbatim DL Pastels ( made in Japan by TY ),
buy those instead of Fuji - take a look starting from [COLOR=blue]here
Also read my other answers to you.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by vallybally
Hey BoSkin, concerning that picture/link you have to rima for .28 cent TY (100 spindle): do they have any coating on top like where you can write something on it? Or is it completely blank? Also, is it me or is that a good price? Would you recommend I pay more for made in japan Fuji’s at BestBuy or? …

The 28 cent TYs from Rima.com have a very fragile plain silver top that looks for all the world like the bottom side of a regular “silver” music CD. I’ve killed more than one of these blanks by not making sure it was properly seated in the drive tray before inserting and scratching the silver reflective layer right off when it bound up in the drive. For 38 cents per, you can get blanks with an inkjet-printable coating on top. Even if you never actually slap them in a printer, the coating will give you some protection.