FTP problem/ linux

Hi,
A friend of mine posted the following question in another forum, but did not get any response.

He uses the comp @ a university and has the following question

Hi everybody. I have a problem with the ftp programs. I am working on Linux and I am behind a firewall. I tried to connect to a couple of ftp’s, but I could not see the folders. There was something about the passive transfer. I set the ftp program not to use a passive transfer and I still could not connect. Does anybody have any idea.

Maybe there are some linux users here that have some advice for him?

Enable port 20 on the firewall.

Port 21 is the general port, but port 20 is the data port.
When port 20 is disabled you won’t see a directory listing of the ftp you logon to…

Perhaps it helps

You mean those ports need to be open on the FTP server. Thats not the problem. If he tries to connect to my FTP server, he has the same problem and I have port 20 and 21 open.

He is using using gftp, a gnome based ftp program.

Yesterday he tried to connect again to my server. This time suddenly he could see the folders but not the files that were in there nor was he able to download.

I am using Bulletproof ftp v2.15 and the his account has
Read- Make- List- and Subdirs checked…

If he’s behind a firewall you should set the ftp-client to USE passive transfer, not the other way around. I also use Linux/Solaris on my university, and I have used gftp alot. Go to File>Options and make sure ‘Passive file transfers’ is checked!

And as a tip: If you’re not absolutely sure your ftp server is set up correctly, tell him to try some public server like ftp.kernel.com or whatever… See if that works!

Originally posted by rowy
You mean those ports need to be open on the FTP server. Thats not the problem. If he tries to connect to my FTP server, he has the same problem and I have port 20 and 21 open.

Not the FTP server, the firewall needs to let data through poort 20 & 21!