Fsb?

i have read FSB xxx on a lot of mobo decriptions, but what does it mean. i think it stands for Front side bus or something but i have no idea what are the different types of FSb and their [dis]advantages.

Ok to get into this we gotta go to how we determine a cpu’s speed. We get it by mulitplying the core muliplier with the frontside bus, which are usually either 100 or 133 mhz. For my Athlon XP 1900+, for example, the CPU speed is 1600mhz, which I get by mulitplying my frontside bus (133) with my multiplier (12).

CPU Speed = FSB * Multiplier

Now there are three ways to overclock ur system. You can change the multiplier, that’s the most common and recommended way. But for the Palominion core (my CPU’s series codename), to enable me to change the mulitplier I need to do some physical “tweaking,” also you need a CPU that can allow u to change it, hopefully in the BIOS.

Second way is to increase the FSB, this is NOT recommended, for two reasons, one is that it doesn’t do much, for example I can only get mine as high as (146 * 12 = 1752mhz). Here’s the really bad part, overclocking the FSB means overclocking almost EVERY component on ur system. You have no idea how many cd-roms i killed on my older P3 system dat had its FSB oc’ed to 143 before I realized why and stopped. Cause overclocking your FSB is basically like overclocking your chipset’s northbridge, which every part of ur system is connected to. The third way is obviously to do both, which is even worse.

As for different types. Common ones are 100 and 133. For the old pentiums and athlons, they were usually like dat. For XP, its the 133 double-pumped to 266. And for P4, its the 100 quad-pumped to 400.

For more stuff on this, go where I used to go, www.tomshardware.com.

Hope this helps,
DFourthHorseman

So when i see FSB 533 on a board box, it means it will support processors with 533mhz fsb? - ie: does the mobo have a FSB or does the processor have a fsb?

i heard new boards with cihpsets like Intel i845 DDR have a 533 FSB, but why is it good having a high FSB when you can have higher Multipliers to increase the cpu clock??

Also, are mothe boards made by companies like asus and abit, but they are all modifications of some main components (chipset) made by SIS/VIa/intel? - just like how you can buy a GeForce 4 graphics card but it can be made by Creative labs or Guillmot ??

Also, i had a look in bios and i didnt see and values for fsb or the Multiplier - but i am sure i have seen the Multiplier vaule in bioses of other mobos - so how is my CPU clock set?

A FSB of 533 is just a 133mhz FSB quad-pumped, as in mulitplied by 4. Its obviously made for Pentium 4 or the new Williamette Celerons (they r like down-sized versions of P4s).

Ok when we say FSB, its mainly talkin bout the connection between the northbridge chipset and CPU. If its already high, then that means more bandwith. The high bandwith is where P4 is getting its advantage, when its not using its other one, which is RDRAM. You can still overclock it but, like I said, its not recommended to overclock the FSB.

As for different components and brands, that’s where I’d turn to www.tomshardware.com, they do an excellent job of analysing and benchmarking CPUs and motherboards. Like taking all the motherboards of the same chipset, or taking the best motherboards of each chipset for the same platform. Sis I think just came out with the DDR400, VIA is doing great with the DDR, and Intel is still with RDRAM, just adding DDR to the mix. Before you start thinking bout motherboard, decide if what CPU you are getting, AMD or Intel, or maybe even the low cost VIA C3s.

Also, i had a look in bios and i didnt see and values for fsb or the Multiplier - but i am sure i have seen the Multiplier vaule in bioses of other mobos - so how is my CPU clock set?

Aw, that’s where you tell the great mbs from the ok ones. The great ones lets u adjust the CPU voltage, FSB, and multipliers, and the others…well…just don’t. You MAY still be able to set it with jumpers, look into ur manual for info.

Go to the link below for a list of their benchmarks and stuff, there’s no redundant things in there. You should find what ur looking for rite away.

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/index.html

I think this benchmark is great, it compares 140 chipsets, so whether u want AMD, Intel, or VIA, ur all covered. Then if u want more choices, just look into a benchmark for the specific chipset to narrow ur choices for a motherboard.

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020422/index.html

Hope this covers it all.

Btw, I see you got a P3, which can go either way. Celerons can be overclocked up to 50%, as u may have heard. In ur case, it all depends on ur Intel chipset, i’m guessin thats the one u have, and motherboard.

yeah, for a while know i hae been trying to find out the make and chipset of my mobo, but all my PC documentation has been lost.

BTW, i am looking for a P4 cpu / mobo and probably with ddr not rabus (price)

I have never tried overclocking anything except a 40x cd writer so i am not sure if i want to risk wrecking my expensive P4 by oc ing it.

If you want to overclock prepare to spend money on cooling, at least a 7200RPM fan for light overclocking, and water cooling (thats like 200 bux) for heavy overclocking.

yeah, for a while know i hae been trying to find out the make and chipset of my mobo, but all my PC documentation has been lost.

Well where did you get ur pc? Try going to the manufacturer. And also, you can find a lot of info on ur components with ur Device Manager.

Read these reviews/benchmarks on chipsets for P4 for DDR.

I sugggest you try to read em all, especially the 140 chipset bench I gave on my last post.

What drives are able to withstand high FSB ?

I feel overclocking the FSB is a good thing. It increases memory bandwith. A system, say Athlon 1000 running at 7.5 CPU multiplier X 133 FSB will out perform the same system running 10 X100. Choosing bus tolerant components will allow this.
I have found the network card to be the biggest headache. Netgear cards seem to function the best, off brands like Asound the worst. AC97 onboard sound works well, so does Cmedia 8738 sound cards. Western Digital 7200rpm (bb or jb) can go to 42mhz PCI bus before data corruption, Seagate does not do as well.
No discussion of FSB is complete without talking about PCI clock dividers. Some people have overclocked Celeron 566 to 850 by changing FSB from 66 to 100. Huge performance increase not only from the faster CPU but also the memory running at 100mhz instead of 66mhz but no stress on cards or drives. When doing this the PCI divider automaticaly went from 1/2 to 1/3 so cards and drives stay at 33mhz. My motherboard, a Epox 8K3A has a 1/5 PCI divider. I can run memory at 166fsb while my drives stay at a safe 33fsb.

You might want to try the AIDA32 tool. It’s a very good tool for finding out what hardware you have www.aida32.hu

“I have never tried overclocking anything except a 40x cd writer so i am not sure if i want to risk wrecking my expensive P4 by oc ing it.”

Don’t worry you can’t really unlock a P4 so you’d have to raise the fsb and on p4s is really nothing. you really can’t fuck it up unless you increment really high. but the MAIN and first thing you want to make sure is (assuming you have a decent mobo and you can raise it thru the bios) that you have good mem. (corsair, crucial, samsung etc.) because 90% of overclocking is up to the mem. and cpu. you shouldn’t worry about cooling too much but at least 3 fans and a damn good hsf on your chip because p4s are damn cool unlike my favorite athlons xp. also, if you raise the fsb and have a decent mobo the divider should kick in after 160 fsb or around there just experiment (not sure on pentiums) but chances are your mem. won’t handle it.

i’m the king of oc’ing (lol) money is no object for me so i shoot to kill when oc’ing just to see what my pcs can handle, i currently have a xp 1700 oc’d to xp 2100 with STOCK COOLING lol. it runs at 60c full load and no problems. i’ve tried to kill it MANY times but my good mobos (asus, abit kt333s) won’t allow it they just won’t post so you know you’ve reached the end of the line.

another important thing is the VCORE you must raise that in order to get a stable oc. i raise mine anywhere from 1.75v (on xp2200) and 1.85v (XP1600 to 1800s). you can’t really oc much without messing with the VCORE so raise it a LITTLE at first don’t go nuts here. btw, screw pentium look into athlons for oc’ng much cheaper and more fun because then you can unlock the multiplier (hell yeah). good luck