FS0F vs 106

Greetings. Since I learned about this forum a few weeks ago, I’ve been coming here a lot to get more and more info. Before I found this forum, I had done some minimal research, and given that it actually burned as CLV (instead of CAV by some competition), and that it did so well with cd-rw, I bought a 411s because at £100 it was nearly the cheapest dual burner. It came with FS02. I use a laptop, and according to nero drive info, it reads only -r/rw format. I wanted the burner to backup my system contents, backup movies, and possibly backup games if I decide to get a PS2.
First up, I didn’t know the different grades of “A grade” media, and bought a pack of AN31 which could be burned by 411, but not read by anything else. Those were £18 for 25. I had to now buy verbatim at £3 each in order for them to read in my laptop rom and yet, backed up movies would not be picked up by a friend’s PS2 (dunno what version). To end all the mayhem, I sold the burner in order to get a better one when things matured somewhat.
Question is, does this new firmware make the drive pretty much perfect now? will the -r burns be picked up by all roms that tout -r, will the movies be picked up properly by standalones that tout -r? or should I still get the dvr-106 which seems to be the reference in burners. btw, is the 106 good at +r as well?
Please help me out as I want to make the most informed decision for my purchase. Thanks

DVD-Media compatibility:

Pioneer wins over the Lite-On.

DVD-R/RW write quality:

Lite-On wins over the pioneer on many brands.

DVD+R write quality:

Pioneer wins over the Lite-On on most brands

DVD+RW write quality:

Lite-On wins + supports 4X DVD+RW

Compatibility in various players:

Pretty much the same.

CD-RW Quality:

Lite-On wins and is fastest.

CD-R quality:

Both is good, but Lite-On is much faster.

Game backup abilities:

Lite-On is a clear winner.

Price:

Lite-On is a clear winner.

Bundle:

Pioneer A06 wins…

If you could live with a few (very few actually) DVDR discs not being supported then I would pick the Lite-On any day…

As it is now I would pick the Liteon. As it was a month or 2 ago I would def’nly say NO.

Its only because of Liteon’s support that this drive has become ‘good’ and not the evil thing I got out of the box in September. Thank the gods for new firmware :bow:

The Pioneer is limited to 2x DVD ripping, the Liteon isn’t. (unless you want to run hacked firmware on your Pioneer drive)

If it makes any difference, my Pioneer 106 is a tad faster when burning DVD+R at 2.4x. It burns at 2.47 average in CDSpeed data disc test, (23:13 min). The 411 burns at 2.35 (23:55min).
:wink:

Thanks for all the feedback. So, I take it, from the info presented, especially given that they are the same price now, the lite on is a no brainer to choose. But just to be crystal clear, it’ll burn -r’s that will work in PS2, standalones and majority of dvd roms? Greatly appreciated

Originally posted by booma
Thanks for all the feedback. So, I take it, from the info presented, especially given that they are the same price now, the lite on is a no brainer to choose. But just to be crystal clear, it’ll burn -r’s that will work in PS2, standalones and majority of dvd roms? Greatly appreciated

Yep as long as you pick good and supported DVD-R discs.

In Australia, the LDW 411S is now about 50-80 AU dollars cheaper than an OEM pioneer 106 drive, ($230 AU)and the 811S is only a little more expensive than the Pioneer.

I suspect that the 8x drives will drive the prices even lower in the very near future.

I always knew Liteon would come through. That’s why i had no reservations when i bought my 411S a few weeks ago, even when i was reading here that some people who bought the 411S earlier, were returning them or selling them off to someone.

I remember my first Liteon, the 24102B cdr burner which i still have. Media compatibilty was an issue when it first came out, especially over here when we used to have a limited range, but after a few firmware updates it was the burner of choice by far.
Then i got me a Liteon Ltd163 dvd player and recently a Liteon 52x32x52 burner and i can say that i have always been happy with my Liteon purchases.
I’m now saving up for the Liteon PhoMaster LVD-2002 standalone player. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always been happy with my Lite-On drives, too. However, I had decided to say away from the 411S before I heard about the improvements in FS0F. Because of the improvements it offers, I just ordered a 411S from NewEgg! :smiley:

BTW, my first Lite-On was an LTR-12101B, which I still have and occasionally use!